Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 10:59 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
l

The Tomato Sauce here is different tasting than ketchup. Not as sharp or rich. More tomato-ey. So, we always buy Heinz Ketchup. More expensive but when you're used to the real thing, it's hard to change. I don't mind the Aussie Tomato Sauce but my son's fussy about his Ketchup. He works part-time in a supermarket in a tourist area and gets loads of questions from American and Canadian tourists about why the "ketchup" here is so weird. So he informs them it's not ketchup, it's Sauce. And points them to the Heinz Ketchup on the shelves. Many almost cry with relief! Probably the same situation overseas for Aussies, missing their "Sauce" and having to put up with Ketchup.
I tend to prefer the "chips"(french fries) I get in Australia and NZ than what I usually get in the USA, but I can never get used to the tomato sauce down there compared to ketchup. I'm a Heinz man myself.

IRC McDonalds does have their brand of american style ketchup in their restaurants down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 11:44 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Hears my thoughts on other reason why our food is so expensive
- Import protectionism and government subsidie payment to producers, hardly exists in Australia, as apposed to the rest of the western world where it is very common.
- Australian Quarantine is very strict and costly.
- The Minimum wage in Oz is very high (the second highest in the world i have read somewhere)
- So are rents
- Permits etc are also very expensive! You need a huge capital outlay just to get a licence to commercially fish on the reef. The obvious reson for this is to protect the reef, but ultimatley the cost is passed on to us. Might also explain why imported seafood is so much cheaper that our local product as well! Not that i ever buy imported seafood, ours is so much better.

Back to the question, for me two sushi roles for $3 is more than enought to keep my stomach full for 4 or 5 hours. Eat lots of chicken, pasta and rice, if you want fillited meat by stuff on a bone and cut it up yourself, buy vegatables from farmers markets, an if you get the opportunity buy directly from the farms themselves! I often make the 50k trip out to the Lockeyer valley to buy my fruit and veges. Makes for a good sunday drive and It usually saves me money even after paying for the fuel!

Last edited by danielsa1775; 08-21-2009 at 12:58 AM..

Old 08-21-2009, 12:09 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I tend to prefer the "chips"(french fries) I get in Australia and NZ than what I usually get in the USA,
If you're ever up in Quebec, try their fries (frites). I agree that our chips here are better than most fries in North America but the Quebecois do fries like no-one else. Not even the Belgians, who rave about theirs. Nope, not even close, to Quebec, where they brown them more so they are tasty as hell. Greasy as hell too, but oh! Yummo! And then hold the ketchup - put vinegar and salt on them instead. Perfect with a couple of steamies (steamed hot dogs with coleslaw and mustard).

Old 08-21-2009, 04:06 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
If you're ever up in Quebec, try their fries (frites). I agree that our chips here are better than most fries in North America but the Quebecois do fries like no-one else. Not even the Belgians, who rave about theirs. Nope, not even close, to Quebec, where they brown them more so they are tasty as hell. Greasy as hell too, but oh! Yummo! And then hold the ketchup - put vinegar and salt on them instead. Perfect with a couple of steamies (steamed hot dogs with coleslaw and mustard).
Quebec Firtes! now theirs some thing is I would love to try, Belgian Frites with a canadian touch hmmmmmmm!!!

Old 08-21-2009, 10:19 AM

991 posts, read 1,769,761 times
I think the problem is comparing apples with apples. There are certainly not the same amount of chain restaurants that offer a cheaper alternative. But then you need to go to the suburban fish & chip shop or charcoal chicken. They don't have the bigger servings or free stuff but the food is so much more tasty and much more satisfying in the end.

The only fast food chains are really McDonalds, KFC, Oporto and Burger King/Hungry Jacks. If you want to really get the taste of Australia the local pie shop, chicken shop and fish & chip shop is the way to go. For cheaper feed in the country the local chinese restaurant is also good.

Old 08-21-2009, 12:57 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
I've never tried french fries in Quebec, but I have spent an afternoon there once...
If only it was closer I'd be tempted to drive there to try their fries.
(5+ hours drive)

Australian tomato sauce isn't as sharp?
I've ALWAYS loved tomato, cooked or uncooked,
but I've also always hated regular ketchup;
I was very disappointed as a kid when I heard it was supposed to be made with tomato,
I couldn't taste any!... Just sugar and vinegar mostly.
And yes, this is the Heinz 57 style.

Does anyone think I might like the Australian version better?

Old 08-21-2009, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Australian tomato sauce isn't as sharp?
I've ALWAYS loved tomato, cooked or uncooked,
but I've also always hated regular ketchup;
I was very disappointed as a kid when I heard it was supposed to be made with tomato,
I couldn't taste any!... Just sugar and vinegar mostly.
And yes, this is the Heinz 57 style.

Does anyone think I might like the Australian version better?
Given what you've just described, Aussie Sauce sounds like it'd be right up your alley Definitely more tomato-ey. Lighter red in colour compared to the deeper red of ketchup.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:16 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
I miss poutine from Que!

Old 08-21-2009, 09:51 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Given what you've just described, Aussie Sauce sounds like it'd be right up your alley Definitely more tomato-ey. Lighter red in colour compared to the deeper red of ketchup.
Nice...
Lighter red? Maybe it won't stain as easy.

When I say I hate Heinz 57, it's by itself, in large quantities on something or with certain food items...
Things like hamburgers with some are fine, so are ketchup-based sauces.
I suppose I don't mind a subtle amount to accent other flavours,
but I hate it when it predominates; mostly because it doesn't taste nice by itself.

*I figured that something's "wrong" with our ketchup if I've met met many North Americans who LOVE ketchup but hate tomatos.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Nice...
Lighter red? Maybe it won't stain as easy.
lol! We all wish! Especially when you've got kids!

Quote:
When I say I hate Heinz 57, it's by itself, in large quantities on something or with certain food items...
Oh yeah, that's got to be used sparingly. Same with A-1 Steak Sauce. Both very sharp and intense, especially A-1.

Quote:
Things like hamburgers with some are fine, so are ketchup-based sauces.
I suppose I don't mind a subtle amount to accent other flavours,
but I hate it when it predominates; mostly because it doesn't taste nice by itself.
Exactly right. When I met my hubby he used to glop massive amounts of French's Mustard on his burgers. He once made me a burger like that and I found it totally inedible. And told him so in no uncertain terms. Just a small amount, please. Actually I prefer just fresh veggies on my burgers - lettuce, toms, avocado, onion, than traditional condiments. Salsa verde's really nice too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand