Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 09:16 AM

35 posts, read 174,503 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to get by spending as little $$ as possible on food while in australia. What are the equivilent food/grocery chains in australia that's similar to wal-mart? I plan on surviving on apples/fruits (to keep some semblence of nutrition ) and home-made sandwhiches (buy lunch meat + bread). The more I save on food, the more I can spend on other activities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 09:52 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,089 times
Price wise the major chains will give you what you need. But there is no real equivalent of Wal-Mart as in big box. Cheap groceries are more than likely going to be at a bi-lo or a jewel (but i think they are being phased out in favour of their bigger counsins which are Coles and Woolworths) There is always the weekly specials which will keep costs down plus the loaf of bread is a lot better than anything you can get in the states. You could probably get a loaf of bread, fixings and fruit for the week for about $10 with the specials. Unlike the US you don't need a special card or anything to take advantage of the specials.

I would steer clear of the IGA or the like (but in smaller towns thats all you get) as they are a little pricier.

For bread and the like hang around a baker around closing time and they are likely to have great specials like two loaves of bread for $5.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:02 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaches84 View Post
I'm hoping to get by spending as little $$ as possible on food while in australia. What are the equivilent food/grocery chains in australia that's similar to wal-mart? I plan on surviving on apples/fruits (to keep some semblence of nutrition ) and home-made sandwhiches (buy lunch meat + bread). The more I save on food, the more I can spend on other activities
Our Home Depot equivalent (but way smaller), Bunnings, often have fundraisers out front doing Sausage Sizzles. You can get a barbequed sausage in a bun, often with fried onions, and a can of soft drink for $2.50. Cheap, filling way to get a meal. These Sausage Sizzles can be also be found in other suburban shopping places but more on a random basis. Bunnings is almost a sure bet to have them.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
In Victoria we have NQR which is a grocery clearance store chain.

NQR - Grocery Clearance Stores

They have close to use-by date products or end of product line items at cheap prices. It's shifting stock and will depend on whatever is available at the time.

There's also ALDI which is generally cheaper than the BIG chains like COLES, Safeway and Woolworths.

ALDI - homepage

Generally if you are shopping at a large shopping centre (mall) groceries will be more expensive except where there is an ALDI or discount supermarket present. (This drives the cost down in the big stores) Groceries also cost more depending on what postcode (zip code) you live in. Around the corner from me grocery prices at the mall are astronomical, if I drive the same distance South the groceries there are significantly cheaper.

It works out cheaper for me to drive 20 minutes from my house (spend a little extra on petrol) and do my grocery shopping there than the big mall closer to home where retailer rents are astronomical.

Fruits and vegetables can be a lot cheaper to purchase at markets and at green grocers in strip shopping centres than in the supermarkets (particularly the ones in malls) and the quality is often better too.

Checking weekly specials as others have mentioned is also a good way to go AND often times no name or store generic brand items are as good and much cheaper than brand name products.
I think Safeway/Wooworths generic is called Homebrand and Coles is called SmartBuy. Although I have admit I generally just look for the white packaging with red writing in both stores.

Oh and I forgot to mention, Melbourne just got a Costco, first one in the country I think. If you already have a Costco membership I think you're covered here also.

http://www.costco.com.au/Home.aspx (broken link)

Old 08-18-2009, 10:19 PM

656 posts, read 2,742,722 times
This reminds me of my College/Uni days.......happy times
I could barely afford the tuition cost of school. Home work levels where just crazy so this gave me no time for part time work. Something had to give and that always seemed to be my next meal

Anyhow back on topic. Back then I used to survive on packets of Noodle cups,Baked beans,Sausages (had to use the local park barbecues to cook them)and of cause MacDonalds vouchers. Not very healthy I know but you got to eat right

Old 08-18-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
...There's also ALDI ...

Oh and I forgot to mention, Melbourne just got a Costco, first one in the country I think. ...
Yeah, that's it, moonie, rub it in, twist that dagger, about how you guys got Aldi and now Costco over there If I hear you next get a Trader Joe's I'll kill myself!

They'll never come here thanks to our Dark Ages trading hours.

Have you been to Costco in the US? If so, how does it compare? I read somewhere the Melbourne one even has Russian King Crab Legs for some ridiculously cheap price. God, how I miss that! Last time we were at Costco in San Diego we bought Alaskan King Crab Legs for I can't remember how much but it was cheap. And soooooo sinfully delicious. And ever since I watched Deadliest Catch on TV I have a whole lotta appreciation for what those fishermen go through in order to get us those crab legs.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:47 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
In Canada, eggs are almost dirt-cheap, nutritious and filling for the price. I believe a dozen eggs can be easily found for $2-3 here, sometimes under $2. I tried eating four X-Large eggs once and was stuffed beyond belief, all for under $1. Meat of any kind seems to sell for about $5+ for 200 grams usually, so the cost to get full from eggs vs. meat is usually 2-4 times higher... I love eggs because they are more nutritous than meat, though I eat some meat too.

I was surprised to see on this particular website cost of groceries for the price of eggs.
Shopping in Australia

Prices ranging from $4.30-$6.49 for a dozen large eggs...
Is this comparable to the current prices in Oz?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
In Canada, eggs are almost dirt-cheap, nutritious and filling for the price. I believe a dozen eggs can be easily found for $2-3 here, sometimes under $2. I tried eating four X-Large eggs once and was stuffed beyond belief, all for under $1. Meat of any kind seems to sell for about $5+ for 200 grams usually, so the cost to get full from eggs vs. meat is usually 2-4 times higher... I love eggs because they are more nutritous than meat, though I eat some meat too.

I was surprised to see on this particular website cost of groceries for the price of eggs.
Shopping in Australia

Prices ranging from $4.30-$6.49 for a dozen large eggs...
Is this comparable to the current prices in Oz?
Yup, free-range: about 50 cents an egg. Shopping's a pain in the arse in Perth, if you want to be frugal. You can save but you have to really work at it, do your research and a little leg-work. When I was little, my parents always had chooks in the backyard so I've got this thing for free-range eggs so I either pay $6+ per dozen at the big supermarkets or buy them cheaper elsewhere. Usually about $4 or $4.50 for free-range - at little fruit & veg shops where the eggs sometimes come with dried chicken poop on them, but hey, that's okay, reminds me of my childhood, when I'd go get eggs from the coop and they'd have bits of poop on them. I couldn't go around being precious about that. Mum had no patience for such preciousness.

Wow, that's cheap, in Canada, for eggs. I hadn't paid attention to the price of eggs when I was in Canada last.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:33 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yup, free-range: about 50 cents an egg. Shopping's a pain in the arse in Perth, if you want to be frugal. You can save but you have to really work at it, do your research and a little leg-work. When I was little, my parents always had chooks in the backyard so I've got this thing for free-range eggs so I either pay $6+ per dozen at the big supermarkets or buy them cheaper elsewhere. Usually about $4 or $4.50 for free-range - at little fruit & veg shops where the eggs sometimes come with dried chicken poop on them, but hey, that's okay, reminds me of my childhood, when I'd go get eggs from the coop and they'd have bits of poop on them. I couldn't go around being precious about that. Mum had no patience for such preciousness.

Wow, that's cheap, in Canada, for eggs. I hadn't paid attention to the price of eggs when I was in Canada last.
I could learn to wash my eggs.
I'm not sure if I've ever had free-range eggs.
I hear rumours that they might have more flavour, depending on what the chickens ate.

The only eggs that sell $4+ here I think are free-range and/or modified ones boasting "Omega-3", reduced cholestoral etc.
Perhaps that's testament to the efficiency of Canadian chicken egg farming and distribution?

Old 08-19-2009, 03:51 PM

3 posts, read 11,814 times
Food, among other things, in Australia is fairly expensive.

One easy source of nosh that is available in most parts of Australia is Cheap Sushi!

This is not really the sushi you are thinking of.

I will certainly agree that the idea of fast food raw fish is a little disconcerting.

I really appreciate with this forum.

Thank you.

thanks for posting
[URL="http://telekomx.mobi/lp2/iwaay"]cheap full item[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand