Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 AM

56 posts, read 187,076 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. I have been living overseas for about 8 years now and feel the need to move. I am currently a Network Engineer for a company
in Germany, and I have been here for about 2 years, however, about 8 years total in Germany (I was in the American military stationed here).

I've always had a thing for beaches, sun, and ocean and even more so since i visited California recently. I would love to surf and scuba dive
quite more then i do now...which is the big donut hole. I thought about taking a working visa for Australia and visit for year and look for
work during that time. Well, since I am 31 I had to scratch that off the notepad. The next thing on the list is to apply for a Student Visa
and work on my Post Grad degree at UTS. That is not a bad idea, considering i could kill two birds with one stone

During that time, or shortly after graduating, I would look for a job to sponsor me...get a permanent visa...get married...buy a house...and raise kangaroos . J/K...kinda

The only hold back is that I have a good paying job and an apartment full of stuff, which i would have to sell...every...thing.

Yes, I know I could move to California, but that would be moving to America. I've been living overseas for 8 years for a reason

Am I crazy to want to follow this plan? Or is it realistic enough to allow me to live and work in Australia, with a possibility of settling there permanently?

John

Last edited by Sanis; 08-19-2009 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: Added my name :)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 09:27 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
Any country that you plan to move to permanently you need to see if it is possible for you to get a permanent residency visa. Australia & the USA have rules about who is eligible and they are strict and simply put it isn't always easy for one to obtain.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:35 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,667,129 times
IRC from the rules if you obtained a degree in Australia you could possibly apply for PR. I would definitely check the immigration rules and see if you could apply to migrate. As an American I have poured over them myself and I don't think it will be an easy process nor easy to obtain.

Also it sounded like you had not yet visited Australia. Australia is not California. My first suggestion is to visit, travel around and see if you like it. There are a lot of things about Australia and NZ that it's one thing to see on paper, another to experience in person.

If you are serious, I'd get busy on Australia's dept of immigration website and start reading up on visas, the rules and the process. It's extensive to say the least.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:09 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,010,909 times
As for the degree qualifying you for points for graduation, they changed the rules. It would depend on how many weeks the university told the government it takes to earn your degree. Last I checked your degree has to have 94 weeks to qualify. So an MBA from Adelaide (90 weeks) will not qualify for points but an MBA from UNI South Australia (94 weeks) will. I'd check with your Uni.

And good luck with winter in Australia.. its not all warm and sunny 12 months of the year... and neither is California!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
IRC from the rules if you obtained a degree in Australia you could possibly apply for PR. I would definitely check the immigration rules and see if you could apply to migrate. As an American I have poured over them myself and I don't think it will be an easy process nor easy to obtain..

Old 08-20-2009, 06:19 AM

42 posts, read 262,589 times
Listen Mate, we all have a place where we would much rather be...
If you want to come to Australia, and go to UTS (a top notch university in Ultimo, Sydney) Then do it. It is also very possible.
It seems that anybody can get into australia these days, well. we do have a small population and "Boundless plains to share" Quote from the Australian national anthem....

All of this can be done very cheaply too.
http://www.uts.edu.au/international/...ing/index.html

In Australia we have a system called HECS (help from the government that will pay your degree for you, you can pay it back after you have been employed)

From then on its easy, apply for citizenship, rent or buy a home. and your set.
You will be pretty looked after here in Australia. I mean, free health care, superannuation (401K), sick leave, even father parental leave. Beat that Canada. We also have a Baby Bonus. i think the government gives you $5'000 for each child you have. just like that. So if you want GO FOR IT!

Believe me. that Sun/Surf beach culture your after is alive and well in sydney, i think you will fit in just fine.
http://www.sl.fr.fmsport.com/Medias/Community_1/Images/693/sydney.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-20-2009, 05:41 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,010,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by levendis View Post
In Australia we have a system called HECS (help from the government that will pay your degree for you, you can pay it back after you have been employed)
There are limitations on the availability of HECS ONLY to Australian citizens and Permanent Humanitarian visas. Permanent residents and Kiwis don't automatically qualify.

From the UNSW web site:
You are eligible for HECS-HELP if you are a Commonwealth supported student and an Australian citizen, or the holder of a permanent humanitarian visa. Some New Zealand citizens and holders of other permanent visas, who are also pre-2005 HECS students, may be eligible for HECS-HELP.
http://www.unsw.edu.au/futureStudents/postgradCourse/sad/fspgfaq.html

Permanent residents saddled with huge upfront university fees - National - www.smh.com.au

Old 08-21-2009, 12:47 AM

42 posts, read 262,589 times
My apologies it seems that HECS is out of the Question... Never fear UTS isn't a top notch university for no reason...

You may be lucky to gain a scholarship follow the link and do some fishing around
UTS: Scholarships - International Students

Bingo.... Engineering
UTS: Scholarships, prizes and awards - University of Technology, Sydney

Old 08-26-2009, 05:42 AM

Thanks for the tips folks. I am working on applying for UTS March semester. I just have to get my transcripts and other paperwork in order to finish that part off. I will be applying for the Master of Science in Internetworking (extended).

Obviously, this is the first step in a long journey, but I will update periodically for people who, like me, are considering moving to Australia for a Post Grad program.

I've also sent an email to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affair, which as some might know, is a grant we get for educational benefits (G.I. Bill) if you were in the U.S. Military. I am trying to find out if UTS is an "accredited" school, and therefore I can receive a monthly allowance while attending, which would help greatly!

Old 09-14-2009, 06:48 AM

Ok. I was finally able to get my transcripts, which was needed to complete the application process. I paid the fees and am now waiting to hear back from the two University's I applied for Swinburne University of Technology in Melbourne and University of Technology Sydney.

I would rather go to Sydney, but Swinburne is a school I can use my government grant at (GI Bill). I have still not heard anything back from the VA. So, once I am accepted at UTS I will start the process to try and get UTS accredited for the GI Bill. Luckily, I have time on my side in this case.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:45 AM

2 posts, read 5,196 times
Default great picture

Hey Levendis!

That is an awsome picture.

Can I use it for my site?

Randall

Shipping to Australia

Last edited by randallzzz; 10-26-2009 at 07:54 AM.. Reason: format
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand