U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 01:31 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,181,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
Great Pics Moonie

Just the sort of day to lay down on a deck chair and gets some much needed sun
I have been doing this a lot lately now that spring has Finally arrived in Perth
Thanks Hairy.

I'd have taken more pics today but I was soooo busy getting the lawn mowed and the washing hung out to line dry in all the glorious sunshine, I didn't have time.

We did have brekkie and lunch outdoors in the sunshine and I'm considering doing the same for dinner, although I'm feeling a little lazy from all my laying about and sunning myself. I'm turning into a goanna.

You guys have such a BIG sky there in Perth. It's so relaxing to loll about in a banana lounge soaking up the rays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 03:03 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,494,366 times
Crappy in Perth this afternoon. Wasn't bad this morning. But we've had rain off and on the past few hours. Cold too! Yuk! Great timing, the weekend!

They always say the weather moves east, so looks like we'll be handing this crap over to Adelaide and Melbourne for Monday and onwards.

Perth forecast for the rest of the week looks great - mid to high 20's and fine. Yay!

Old 10-10-2009, 06:10 AM

656 posts, read 2,371,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Thanks Hairy.

I'd have taken more pics today but I was soooo busy getting the lawn mowed and the washing hung out to line dry in all the glorious sunshine, I didn't have time.

We did have brekkie and lunch outdoors in the sunshine and I'm considering doing the same for dinner, although I'm feeling a little lazy from all my laying about and sunning myself. I'm turning into a goanna.

You guys have such a BIG sky there in Perth. It's so relaxing to loll about in a banana lounge soaking up the rays.
I think I will have to start taking advantage of these big sky's Moonie. I just hopped on my scales and my weight was errrr... a little surprising Didn't notice it but I gained a bit of a winter belly. With the weather fining up I have no excuses now for not going on those morning runs Though I don't think its my winter laziness that's causing the problem. I think its my new found desires for Tim Tams. All because a certain Sub-Forum (I won't mention names) doesn't stop talking about them....I'm hooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Crappy in Perth this afternoon. Wasn't bad this morning. But we've had rain off and on the past few hours. Cold too! Yuk! Great timing, the weekend!

They always say the weather moves east, so looks like we'll be handing this crap over to Adelaide and Melbourne for Monday and onwards.

Perth forecast for the rest of the week looks great - mid to high 20's and fine. Yay!
Vichel the weather wasn't nice this morning but cleared up nicely this afternoon.

Old 10-10-2009, 06:46 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,181,640 times
Quote:
I think I will have to start taking advantage of these big sky's Moonie. I just hopped on my scales and my weight was errrr... a little surprising Didn't notice it but I gained a bit of a winter belly. With the weather fining up I have no excuses now for not going on those morning runs Though I don't think its my winter laziness that's causing the problem. I think its my new found desires for Tim Tams. All because a certain Sub-Forum (I won't mention names) doesn't stop talking about them....I'm hooked
Well I think it's perfectly natural to gain a little over winter, Hairy.
One of those things hardwired into our dna from way back in the dark ages or that's what I like to tell myself, anyway.

Best thing you can do to save yourself from the Tim Tams is put them in the freezer. They're really hard to eat when they're frozen so just take one out and have it as a treat each day. Oh and start walking before you run otherwise you'll do yourself an injury and then you'll be sitting around on yer bum for a couple of weeks while the Tim Tams scream, "eat me" from the kitchen cupboard!

There's no point trying to give them up, you know. Resistance is futile.
Best thing you can do is manage your habit.

I have to say I absolutely adore going out for a morning walk when I'm in Queensland or WA. It's the most beautiful time of the day.

Anyway, fingers crossed that BOM's got it right for Melbourne weather tomorrow and we get the glorious 22c they promised!

Old 10-10-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Vichel the weather wasn't nice this morning but cleared up nicely this afternoon.
It was the opposite where I live. Nice in the morning, crap in the afternoon. Rainy and cold. Walked the dog this morning while wearing shorts and a long-sleeved t-shirt. Then did some gardening (grrrrrr!) in shorts and a t-shirt. By around 2pm a wardrobe change was necessary.

Perth's funny that way. Very isolated microcosms of weather systems from one suburb or group of suburbs to the next. It's always funny driving along the road and it's raining, then suddenly it'll stop. Like, suddenly. You look in the rearview mirror and it's raining back there. Or I'll be talking to a friend in the next suburb where the sun is shining but it's pouring where I am.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:57 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I've heard that given as one of the main reasons why MEL's considered to be such an interesting city. The weather being less encouraging for outdoor activities, so they've created an environment more conducive to other things & a greater variety of things to do.

Perth's excellent if you're a very outdoorsy person, especially early in the morning. One of the main anti-DST reasons put forth is that people prefer getting up before 5am and rowing, swimming, cycling, etc. I have been out and about that early on occasion and the place is deserted, but apparently these early risers are out there. Somewhere. Being all fit and active, despite the physical attributes of many Perthlings being in direct contrast to what one would expect such vigorous people to look like.

I suppose if you're up that early being that active, you'll want to be hitting the sack early, so you don't mind the early darkness outside. So forget showing up at a restaurant at 8:45pm here. They're expecting you to be clearing out by then. Kitchen's closing. To bed with you, Perthling! After-movie coffee and cake with friends? Go home. Restaurants don't even want you for that. At least not in suburbia, which is 90% of Perth.

It's a strange place in many ways. Rather limiting. And if you can't adapt to that, you'll never be happy. So it's best to leave. As it won't change. No point in fighting it. It's just the way it is here.
I realized that a long time ago, Vichel, although having travelling round Oz I think that's the case with most of Australia. Pockets of Perth have a more bohemian vibe to them, but the city's identity is rather hollow; it feels like a big park orientated around the family and children.

Old 10-11-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I realized that a long time ago, Vichel, although having travelling round Oz I think that's the case with most of Australia. Pockets of Perth have a more bohemian vibe to them, but the city's identity is rather hollow; it feels like a big park orientated around the family and children.
If we'd known more about the character of Perth when we first moved here, we'd have probably opted for one of those areas with a vibe to it, bohemian or otherwise. I think we'd have felt less limited, and happier, in Leederville perhaps, or some other similar area to that.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:19 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,894,251 times
Quote:
It's a strange place in many ways. Rather limiting. And if you can't adapt to that, you'll never be happy. So it's best to leave. As it won't change. No point in fighting it. It's just the way it is here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It will be interesting to see how much this affects me if I try living in Australia.
I can easily see that happening a bit to me...

However I seem to have a natural tendancy of "self-limiting" attitudes when the temperatures "don't co-operate"
with what I was prepared for. (a range in temps that wouldn't affect my level of contentment)

Keeping on topic,
Melbourne's climate while not the best match for me,
it would probably be a better match than Toronto
(Melbourne's summers aside; Toronto's summer temps seem to be more stable )
and I would probably appreciate that incremental-improvement.
(Annual averge high of 19 C vs. 12 C)

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-11-2009 at 09:32 AM..

Old 10-13-2009, 09:34 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
Yes several have made a good point about Melbourne's summers. It's not just average temperatures but variability. On paper, Melbourne's January average low/high of 14.0/25.8 seems reasonable, to me at least. If every day was like that with a decent amount of sun it would be very pleasant indeed, although nights would hardly have a balmy summery feel. The fact is, chilly spells are common there in summer. Every time I've been there in summer I've needed to wear a jacket at least once. In that sense it's a place where you can't really wear 'summer clothing' all the time in summer without having to worry about feeling cold.

When you compare it to certain world cities, like say London or Moscow I think the climate is quite equable. It's only compared to sunnier, warmer parts of Australia (i.e. pretty much all of the mainland) that Melbourne's climate seems cold and drab.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:35 PM

5,054 posts, read 5,491,787 times
This Cocktober is a shining example of why Melbourne's climate is such a hunk of **** and why it has such a crap reputation.

So far, the average high is 17.9C, 3C below average, and even 1C colder than Craptember Most days have been rainy and windy and ofcourse constantly cloudy

Summers are lame, averages of 15/26C are not warm enough to be called a "summer", far too cold at night and days are just lukewarm. The few hot days we get are balanced by twice the number of cold days around 20C. Melbourne averages just 10 days over 35C per year combined with cold nights which is pathetic and certainly not conductive to favourite summer activities such as pool parties, beach, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand