U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 08:07 AM

9,326 posts, read 18,988,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
To be honest, I'm really excited that it's not been getting too warm early here and that we've had rain, and good rain. There's been plenty of sunshine and some good rain and I feel a whole lot better about the coming Summer because of it. And I like Spring anyway and this one is helping me acclimatize to North East USA in the Fall. WHICH is already having SNOW!!!!!
Moon it was a very very very rare occurence to have snow and there was no real accumulation where you will be. Most of the snow was upstate NY, Central and NE PA, NW NJ. We had none here in NH. Yesterday it was warm and I saw a few people wearing shorts. I personally haven't turned on the heater in my flat as its very well insulated. I walk around in shorts inside my building all the time, much more comfortable than I was in Oz with my lack of insulation and no central heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 01:17 PM

9,816 posts, read 19,026,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Moon it was a very very very rare occurence to have snow and there was no real accumulation where you will be. Most of the snow was upstate NY, Central and NE PA, NW NJ. We had none here in NH. Yesterday it was warm and I saw a few people wearing shorts. I personally haven't turned on the heater in my flat as its very well insulated. I walk around in shorts inside my building all the time, much more comfortable than I was in Oz with my lack of insulation and no central heat.
We had several days of snow here in northern PA so unfortunately winter seems to be coming early. Snowflakes were the size of potato chips at one point.

Old 10-19-2009, 01:28 AM

9,912 posts, read 12,187,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Glad you're having weather you enjoy.
"Too warm" is generally not in my vocabulary.

Are you moving to the Northeastern U.S.
Skin-wise, I live here and I can't acclimatize to our Fall.
Core-wise, not too much of a problem, once you get over the initial-shock, imho.
It's another glorious Spring day here and yeah as time has progressed Too Warm has entered my vocubulary hot on the heels of my dodgy inner thermostat playing up and unfortunately I now find many days during the warmer part of the year too hot for me.
I am getting very good at determining what is and what isn't too warm for me though and "being prepared".

I'll be in the North East US for 9 weeks from late November.
I guess I can't really know until I'm in it how I will respond to the colder weather but I have to say discovering that the snow had come early hasn't really filled me with joy.
I was hoping to ease into it but I suspect that won't be the case now. Never mind I'll just have to assimilate as fast as I can.
I just have no real point of reference for it and trying to be prepared is like trying to know in advance what it's like to bungee jump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Yeah, I know. MM keeps laughing at me too but I gotta tell ya I am absolutely stumped in terms of what to pack. I've been in arctic like temps same as you guys have before and it's just really hard to work out how to pack for it. I found when I was in England and Ireland that I had a bunch of clothes that were what I thought would be warm and protect me from the cold but once I was outdoors the bitterly cold wind and snow just laughed at my pathetic attempts. AND I didn't pack a bikini. WHICH is pretty much what you need to get around in when you're indoors in those countries because folks jack up the heating till you think you'll expire from heat exertion. Barbados indoors, Antarctica outdoors. AND there's the issue of FASHION. Now I'm no show pony or fashionista but America girls seem to have a slighty different fashion sense to here and I do not want to be walking around looking very obviously different. Oh and then there's the bit about how I don't want to spend a fortune on clothing for the trip either, NOT that I could get it here now even if I wanted it. So I've hunted up a bunch of my "Melbourne Winter" clothes which is a couple of seasons old and I'll just have to make do I guess. And whatever I absolutely have to have I guess I'll buy once I get there and realize that I need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
We had several days of snow here in northern PA so unfortunately winter seems to be coming early. Snowflakes were the size of potato chips at one point.
Apparently it snowed AND rained in Ma yesterday. (I know it's only doing it to freak me out! )

I thought the best thing to do would be to compare averages, you know?

So I hunted up the average monthly temps for the area I'll be spending the most time in thinking that at least for November and early December I'd be ok, that it would be similar to a Melbourne Autumn/Winter. WRONG!!!

According to the averages November and early December would get our Melbourne DEAD OF WINTER worst case scenario temps! SO NOW I have to try to imagine November/December Ma av. temps vs the arsk (my niece's word ) end of Tassie in the dead of winter. AND let's face it? How many people do you know that head off to Tassie in the dead of winter???

I'm about to become a Snowala and there's not a whole lot I can do about it!

Old 10-19-2009, 03:15 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,498,616 times
Quote:
Oh wow, lucky you! I'm so envious and happy for you! You'll get a proper Christmas too! Sorry, but after 10 years of hot Chrissies with that stark bright sunshine & crackling heat which is great on any other day, it's just not right for Christmas. It's gotta be cold. You gotta wrap up and go for a walk to see the lights and hear the carolers, seeing your breath the whole time. sigh!

Quote:
Yeah, I know. MM keeps laughing at me too but I gotta tell ya I am absolutely stumped in terms of what to pack.
Yeah, that's a tough one, especially given airlines' miserly luggage weight restrictions these days. Layers is the only suggestion I can give, but you do need a big coat to be comfortable. How about picking something up cheap at Walmart or some place and just giving it to charity before you leave? Or just leaving it behind for the next trip?

Old 10-19-2009, 07:22 AM

9,595 posts, read 22,912,672 times
Quote:
It's another glorious Spring day here and yeah as time has progressed Too Warm has entered my vocubulary hot on the heels of my dodgy inner thermostat playing up and unfortunately I now find many days during the warmer part of the year too hot for me.
I am getting very good at determining what is and what isn't too warm for me though and "being prepared".

I guess I can't really know until I'm in it how I will respond to the colder weather but I have to say discovering that the snow had come early hasn't really filled me with joy.
I was hoping to ease into it but I suspect that won't be the case now. Never mind I'll just have to assimilate as fast as I can.
I just have no real point of reference for it and trying to be prepared is like trying to know in advance what it's like to bungee jump.

Yeah, I know. MM keeps laughing at me too but I gotta tell ya I am absolutely stumped in terms of what to pack. I've been in arctic like temps same as you guys have before and it's just really hard to work out how to pack for it. I found when I was in England and Ireland that I had a bunch of clothes that were what I thought would be warm and protect me from the cold but once I was outdoors the bitterly cold wind and snow just laughed at my pathetic attempts. AND I didn't pack a bikini. WHICH is pretty much what you need to get around in when you're indoors in those countries because folks jack up the heating till you think you'll expire from heat exertion. Barbados indoors, Antarctica outdoors. AND there's the issue of FASHION. Now I'm no show pony or fashionista but America girls seem to have a slighty different fashion sense to here and I do not want to be walking around looking very obviously different. Oh and then there's the bit about how I don't want to spend a fortune on clothing for the trip either, NOT that I could get it here now even if I wanted it. So I've hunted up a bunch of my "Melbourne Winter" clothes which is a couple of seasons old and I'll just have to make do I guess. And whatever I absolutely have to have I guess I'll buy once I get there and realize that I need it.

Apparently it snowed AND rained in Ma yesterday. (I know it's only doing it to freak me out! )

I thought the best thing to do would be to compare averages, you know?

So I hunted up the average monthly temps for the area I'll be spending the most time in thinking that at least for November and early December I'd be ok, that it would be similar to a Melbourne Autumn/Winter. WRONG!!!

According to the averages November and early December would get our Melbourne DEAD OF WINTER worst case scenario temps! SO NOW I have to try to imagine November/December Ma av. temps vs the arsk (my niece's word ) end of Tassie in the dead of winter. AND let's face it? How many people do you know that head off to Tassie in the dead of winter???

I'm about to become a Snowala and there's not a whole lot I can do about it!
My innner thermostat doesn't really do much, unless I'm sick or excersizing heavy.
(I've also recently discovered that my nose can't handle frost without a thick "full-beard" or a scarf. )

Late-November?
At this latitude that's "very-late autumn," occaisionally "early winter."
I wouldn't "expect" highs above 4 C, though you could be treated to temps as high as 18 C.
I'd also "expect" lows down to -10 C for the coldest mornings,
and it will only get colder by mid-December.

Most people are accustomed to being able to wear long sleeves and a jacket unzipped at indoor temps like 21 C,
for periods up to a 1/2 hr when needed, but feel free to take off your coat (and carry it ) anytime you like.
January 18-31 seems to be the "dead" of winter; usually the coldest temps of the year.
I guess you'll be there for that.

If you were hoping to see the famed "Fall Colour" of New England, that should be off the trees by late October.
Fall colour is usually best between late-September and mid-October.
You probabably could still see coloured-leaves on the ground though, perhaps.

You could probably start (snow) skiing by mid-December though.
New England has some very nice ski resorts I hear, Vermont especially.

**All that said, I'm confident you WILL handle the cold better than me;
for skin-comfort, my equilibrium is lost below 18 C, (in the shade) so I "always" sense "chill."

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-19-2009 at 07:47 AM..

Old 10-19-2009, 06:08 PM

3,031 posts, read 5,177,728 times
Quote:

AND there's the issue of FASHION. Now I'm no show pony or fashionista but America girls seem to have a slighty different fashion sense to here and I do not want to be walking around looking very obviously different. Oh and then there's the bit about how I don't want to spend a fortune on clothing for the trip either, NOT that I could get it here now even if I wanted it. So I've hunted up a bunch of my "Melbourne Winter" clothes which is a couple of seasons old and I'll just have to make do I guess. And whatever I absolutely have to have I guess I'll buy once I get there and realize that I need it.

I understand LL Bean is THE clothing range to have to enjoy an NE winter. I don't know about cost etc, but I don't think there's any risk you'll look drastically different from anyone else. Unless Victorians really are aliens? Anyway, once you start speaking, how you look is a moot point.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:42 PM

9,595 posts, read 22,912,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
I understand LL Bean is THE clothing range to have to enjoy an NE winter. I don't know about cost etc, but I don't think there's any risk you'll look drastically different from anyone else. Unless Victorians really are aliens? Anyway, once you start speaking, how you look is a moot point.
^^ I agree.

L.L. Bean also sells really good "hand warmers". They're chemical hot packs that provide 8+ hours of heat good for sticking in your pockets, gloves or boots. They work by exposing them to air. At -10 C they feel like 30 C. At 20 C indoors, they can almost burn your skin; feels like touching a hot tub.

I'd expect you'll see at least one low of -20 C.
But I live here, and even -40 C windchills don't kill me; I just have a very bad day.
Since you're "naturally quite-warm" you could think of a New England winter vacation as an "Adventure!"
(I would! )

Old 10-19-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Oh wow, lucky you! I'm so envious and happy for you! You'll get a proper Christmas too! Sorry, but after 10 years of hot Chrissies with that stark bright sunshine & crackling heat which is great on any other day, it's just not right for Christmas. It's gotta be cold. You gotta wrap up and go for a walk to see the lights and hear the carolers, seeing your breath the whole time. sigh!

Yes! My first White Christmas ever! I'm driving poor MM mad with my great long list of things to do! Figure I should try to get in all those White Christmas traditions while I can. Plus I'll be there in time for my first ever real American Thanksgiving. After my pathetic attempts at trying to re-create it here last year I'm sure that it's going to be an awesome experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yeah, that's a tough one, especially given airlines' miserly luggage weight restrictions these days. Layers is the only suggestion I can give, but you do need a big coat to be comfortable. How about picking something up cheap at Walmart or some place and just giving it to charity before you leave? Or just leaving it behind for the next trip?
I have considered that and figure I'll take that option if I have to.
So far I've managed to get a whiz bang down coat from Kathmandu, I'm sending my favorite winter coat to the tailors to have some buttons and button holes put in AND I bought one of those Rainbird parkas last week.
I've got a set of thermals and some good woolen socks. Now I'm just sorting through my stuff to find some winter weight trousers AND a couple of decent jumpers. I'm trying to pick out pieces that can be worn multiple ways so as to keep the weight down on my luggage. Currently shoes are my biggest issue. Well that and the fact I don't have a lot of woolen jumpers and I need a decent fleece. But I've already decided to take what I have and do a little shopping while I'm there if needs be. It's hard to know from here what I'll use and will be useful and what will not. I always, no matter where I'm going, seem to end up with some pieces in my luggage that I never use and a point where I wish I'd packed the one thing I spent time agonizing over whether or not to pack only to leave it behind and then need it desperately. But I guess them's the breaks.

The most difficult thing is trying to assess the usefulness of something HERE and NOW with our temps. The other day I went shopping for a jumper and I found one but I thought I'd die from heat exhaustion trying it on. So in my head I was thinking, "Oh yes, this will keep me warm" but now I suspect when it comes down to actually wearing it there the Ma. temps will make a mockery of my feeble attempts!

It's all good! I can't know til I'm in it so I'll just have to pack as best I can, buy whatever I need when I get there AND gather valuable experience for how to pack for my next trip!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
My innner thermostat doesn't really do much, unless I'm sick or excersizing heavy.
(I've also recently discovered that my nose can't handle frost without a thick "full-beard" or a scarf. )

Late-November?
At this latitude that's "very-late autumn," occaisionally "early winter."
I wouldn't "expect" highs above 4 C, though you could be treated to temps as high as 18 C.
I'd also "expect" lows down to -10 C for the coldest mornings,
and it will only get colder by mid-December.

Most people are accustomed to being able to wear long sleeves and a jacket unzipped at indoor temps like 21 C,
for periods up to a 1/2 hr when needed, but feel free to take off your coat (and carry it ) anytime you like.
January 18-31 seems to be the "dead" of winter; usually the coldest temps of the year.
I guess you'll be there for that.

If you were hoping to see the famed "Fall Colour" of New England, that should be off the trees by late October.
Fall colour is usually best between late-September and mid-October.
You probabably could still see coloured-leaves on the ground though, perhaps.

You could probably start (snow) skiing by mid-December though.
New England has some very nice ski resorts I hear, Vermont especially.

**All that said, I'm confident you WILL handle the cold better than me;
for skin-comfort, my equilibrium is lost below 18 C, (in the shade) so I "always" sense "chill."

I gotta tell ya trying to work out which jumpers and pants to take today when it's climbing up to 28c is an exercise in futility.

Another glorious Spring day in Melbourne.

Very hard to reconcile onself to the idea of arriving to 5c or below!

It's not actually the cold temperatures that bother me so much because I figure I'll get the hang of them eventually and if it proves too difficult I'll just "take to my bed" but I think the shock is in the early snow. It was stupid of me not to have studied the weather for that time of year a little closer and compared it to here and now that our below 10c days are probably gone I'll not get the chance to register it in my brain in preparation. In my mind I figured arriving toward the end of November would afford me the opportunity to ease into colder temps, kind of like stepping into the pool at the shallow end and easing into the water till you're submerged, as opposed to this diving in at the deep end business that I'll be doing now.

I am disappointed I'll be missing the Fall colour but never mind, I will get to see and experience how winter unfolds before I land back in Oz in the middle of summer.

I will get to see Vermont and try some snow sports so that's good.

Just gotta pack my coat and get used to taking the damn thing on and off repeatedly. It's all good!

Old 10-19-2009, 07:55 PM

10,791 posts, read 7,498,616 times
Quote:
[/color]

Yes! My first White Christmas ever! I'm driving poor MM mad with my great long list of things to do! Figure I should try to get in all those White Christmas traditions while I can. Plus I'll be there in time for my first ever real American Thanksgiving. After my pathetic attempts at trying to re-create it here last year I'm sure that it's going to be an awesome experience.
Mmmmmmmmm, YUMMMMM! Turkey! Cranberry sauce - if you have any say in the meal, ask if you can have it made from fresh cranberries, if they're available. It makes a world of difference. I used to make my cranberry sauce from the fresh berries when I lived in Canada, and any time I visited around Thanksgiving (theirs is October). The jar stuff is alright but hey, if you can, go for the fresh homemade stuff. Very easy to make - just boil them up in water and sugar. Make it ahead of time as it has to set. And you can control the sugar as we like ours on the tart side. I make it here with the frozen ones.

Quote:
But I've already decided to take what I have and do a little shopping while I'm there if needs be.
A "little" shopping??? Just a little???? OMG, the dollar's way up there. I'd be going crazy, even crazier than usual. Last trip we took two suitcases - one smaller one packed with a few things, inside a bigger empty one. Filled them both, each, so four in total And even better was the fact that I'd paid for the tickets back in Nov 2008 when the luggage weight limits were higher - 75lbs! The two bigger suitcases were within ounces of that Maple syrup, art, shoes, kitchen stuff, clothes, chocolate bars you can't get here, pure vanilla extract from Costco (much cheaper than here), etc., etc. And I was wearing about half a kilo of silver jewelry from the Southwest

Funny thing is, I'm not much of a shopper ordinarily. In fact, I kinda hate it. I guess it's just the limited variety here, and the higher prices. But mostly the selection. The buyers here seem to think we're all 19 years old and want to show loads of skin. Plus the quality of fabrics used here is noticeably poorer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand