Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 03:01 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,872,080 times

Advertisements

Melbourne's climate sucks for several reasons:

-It's cold,
-It's cloudy
-Summer evenings dont feel like summer evenings on 6 out of every 7 days
-It can rain then be sunny then rain again in the space of 5 minutes ~ the locals try to justify this phenomenon by calling it "4 seasons in one day" and
make every attempt under the sun to pass it off as "positive" and "unique".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 03:03 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,721,497 times
Yeah, that doesn't sound like much of a summer

Old 10-07-2009, 04:43 AM

656 posts, read 2,734,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Dark mornings?

I wonder if any Australian cities ever get later sunrises than Toronto?
Our latest sunrise is 7:47 am.
When you add overcast to that, it feels dark until about 8:15 am.

ColdCanadian in Perth the last day of DST

I found myself that sunrises after 7:30 am can be annoying sometimes,
and we have that for about 1.5 months a year.
ColdCanadian in Perth the last day of DST was sunrise at 7:30 am March 28th
Sunrise and Sunset for Australia – Western Australia – Perth – March 2009

Its the main reason it got voted out. The Pro DST groups said they wouldn't
do it in March again but by then every body had already had made their minds up

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Melbourne's climate sucks for several reasons:

-It's cold,
-It's cloudy
-Summer evenings dont feel like summer evenings on 6 out of every 7 days
-It can rain then be sunny then rain again in the space of 5 minutes ~ the locals try to justify this phenomenon by calling it "4 seasons in one day" and
make every attempt under the sun to pass it off as "positive" and "unique".
§AB We have all been waiting for you to set this thread straight!

Old 10-07-2009, 05:49 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,872,080 times
lol I got a new job so dont have much time to post.

A few more reasons why Melbourne's climate SUCKS:

-Dreariest, cloudiest city in the nation, even cloudier than Hobart,

-Frequent cold fronts, even in summer, bringing cold and cloud, As a result, entire weeks can be 20C/68F and overcast in mid summer

-Summer is not guaranteed, and atleast one summer month ends up being crap.

-Months tend to have one half cold and cloudy weather, while the other half might be warmer and sunnier. This is particulary noticable during the warmer half of the year. Invariably though, the "better" half of any certain summer month will be broken up be the usual constant cold fronts we get. If you do the math, the total of crappy weather is more like 3/4 of the month.

-Even "good" summer months have several days of low 20's/high 60's low 70's daytime highs and up to half the nights are at or below 15c/59f

-The entire period from May to October INCLUSIVE is the same cold, dreary bleak and dark crap.

-The last 7 out of 10 Christmases featured highs below 25C/77F, and alot of them were fully overcast making it impossible to feel the summer festive mood

-Thunderstorms are extremely rare

-Thunderstorms that DO occur tend to last all of 5 minutes and are almost always associated with a cold front meaning as soon as the storm hits, it's going to be cold. No enjoying beer on the verandah in the warmth watching the lightning.

-Exciting/extreme weather is rare

-Uncomfortable windchills are common in winter

-Seabreezes coming off the freezing 20C surface of Port Phillip Bay ruin about 90% of summer afternoons

-Port Phillip Bay is the coldest body of water in Australia

-----------------------------------------------------------

There are people who bang on about "how Melbourne looks better in the rain" and "we boast 4 seasons in one day" and how "Melbourne gets half the rain of Sydney" etc.

Make no mistake, this is all delusions by folk who *know* they live in the crappiest climate in the nation, but cannot bear to *acknowledge* it, so they make themselves honorary spin doctors and harp on about how "awesome" it is to have the "variety" of "4 seasons in one day"

Sure, Melbourne *does* get half the rain of Sydney, but you know why? Because Sydney gets about 75% more thunderstorm activity than Melbourne, that's bloody why. Melbourne on the other hand gets 140 days of pure unadulterated insipid drizzle and light misty rain.

Also, what's good about having "4 seasons in one day"? Havin to juggle clothes several times a day only to, in all likelyhood, get wet in the end. What fun.

As for "Melbourne looks better in the rain"...... oh please, what a tryhard attempt at vindicating this climate. Anyone who believes that a soviet-era style bleached look to the landscape is more attractive than a vibrant bright sunny day is deluded beyond belief. I'm sure these are the same people who'd rather enjoy a balmy Sydney or Brisbane summer evening dining outdoors, rather than put up with the icy winds or cold fronts that dominate "summer" evenings here.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:10 AM

656 posts, read 2,734,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
lol I got a new job so dont have much time to post.

A few more reasons why Melbourne's climate SUCKS:

-Dreariest, cloudiest city in the nation, even cloudier than Hobart,

-Frequent cold fronts, even in summer, bringing cold and cloud, As a result, entire weeks can be 20C/68F and overcast in mid summer

-Summer is not guaranteed, and atleast one summer month ends up being crap.

-Months tend to have one half cold and cloudy weather, while the other half might be warmer and sunnier. This is particulary noticable during the warmer half of the year. Invariably though, the "better" half of any certain summer month will be broken up be the usual constant cold fronts we get. If you do the math, the total of crappy weather is more like 3/4 of the month.

-Even "good" summer months have several days of low 20's/high 60's low 70's daytime highs and up to half the nights are at or below 15c/59f

-The entire period from May to October INCLUSIVE is the same cold, dreary bleak and dark crap.

-The last 7 out of 10 Christmases featured highs below 25C/77F, and alot of them were fully overcast making it impossible to feel the summer festive mood

-Thunderstorms are extremely rare

-Thunderstorms that DO occur tend to last all of 5 minutes and are almost always associated with a cold front meaning as soon as the storm hits, it's going to be cold. No enjoying beer on the verandah in the warmth watching the lightning.

-Exciting/extreme weather is rare

-Uncomfortable windchills are common in winter

-Seabreezes coming off the freezing 20C surface of Port Phillip Bay ruin about 90% of summer afternoons

-Port Phillip Bay is the coldest body of water in Australia

-----------------------------------------------------------

There are people who bang on about "how Melbourne looks better in the rain" and "we boast 4 seasons in one day" and how "Melbourne gets half the rain of Sydney" etc.

Make no mistake, this is all delusions by folk who *know* they live in the crappiest climate in the nation, but cannot bear to *acknowledge* it, so they make themselves honorary spin doctors and harp on about how "awesome" it is to have the "variety" of "4 seasons in one day"

Sure, Melbourne *does* get half the rain of Sydney, but you know why? Because Sydney gets about 75% more thunderstorm activity than Melbourne, that's bloody why. Melbourne on the other hand gets 140 days of pure unadulterated insipid drizzle and light misty rain.

Also, what's good about having "4 seasons in one day"? Havin to juggle clothes several times a day only to, in all likelyhood, get wet in the end. What fun.

As for "Melbourne looks better in the rain"...... oh please, what a tryhard attempt at vindicating this climate. Anyone who believes that a soviet-era style bleached look to the landscape is more attractive than a vibrant bright sunny day is deluded beyond belief. I'm sure these are the same people who'd rather enjoy a balmy Sydney or Brisbane summer evening dining outdoors, rather than put up with the icy winds or cold fronts that dominate "summer" evenings here.
I'm glad you put your 2 cents in
This thread just didn't feel right without §AB's input
With your well known love and devotion towards Melbourne's fickle weather

In fact it would be just like discussing climate without Coldcanadian's input
It would be just plain wrong

Old 10-07-2009, 06:29 AM

206 posts, read 194,075 times
Melbourne has a 'temperate climate' according to Koppen (Cfb) or 'temperate oceanic'
Winters are considered mild- 50s by day; low 40s by night- though locations away from Phillip Bay can be colder in the winter. And warmer in summer.

Summers can be warm to hot- but with lower humidity then Sydney.
Weather throughout the year can be very changeable- San Francisco is the US city that resembles Melbourne's climate the best- though the California city is classified as 'Mediterranean' Csb 'cool water coast' Mediterranean.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:49 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,699,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
ColdCanadian in Perth the last day of DST was sunrise at 7:30 am March 28th Sunrise and Sunset for Australia – Western Australia – Perth – March 2009

Its the main reason it got voted out. The Pro DST groups said they wouldn't
do it in March again but by then every body had already had made their minds up

§AB We have all been waiting for you to set this thread straight!
That explains it...
Funny I grew up with DST, but 7:30 am sunrises were one of my least favorite aspects of it.

(Actually, our sunrise at winter solstice is 7:47 without DST. )

7:25 am?
That feels "reasonable"; at least then by 8 am you can count on it not looking like nighttime on an overcast morning.
Granted, at the 43rd parallel our shortest day is about 8.5 hours long, and our longest is about 15.5 hours long...
Daylength changes rather rapidly:
-sunrise and sunset can both advance or retard 1-2 minutes everyday, near the spring and autumn equinoxes
(so the "dark" mornings don't last very long )

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 10-07-2009 at 08:58 AM..

Old 10-07-2009, 08:51 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,699,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
I'm glad you put your 2 cents in
This thread just didn't feel right without §AB's input
With your well known love and devotion towards Melbourne's fickle weather

In fact it would be just like discussing climate without Coldcanadian's input
It would be just plain wrong
I agree.

LMAO! Thanks mate.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:42 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,938,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I agree.

LMAO! Thanks mate.
I personally think its funny that a Canadian is concerned about Oz weather! I know you have this thing with your issue with cold.. but oy Coldy, compared to Toronto winters.. Melbourne winters would be like a walk in the park on a bright sunny day with chirping birds under a sunny sky surrounded by fresh flowers blooming.

Sorry I have not taken the **** out on you in a while mate!

Old 10-07-2009, 06:53 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,910,928 times
As I type, it's currently 57F in Sydney. Windy, with showers. Same in Melbourne apparently. Fine, but its October fer cryin' out loud. And trust me, I'm cryin'.
I can hardly type, my digits are so frigid. Currently in New Orleans its 84F. It's October.
Everything does look so much more romantic yadda yadda blahdeblah in the rain. Until you have to go out in it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand