Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:29 AM

108 posts, read 153,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I lived in Canberra (the capital of Australia) for six months on a study abroad and am African American. I had an ok experience. I did experience some racism, for example at the university I was at some of the kids did black face one night and people constantly asked me about stereotypical 'black' stuff (but maybe that's because I was the first AA person they'd met). One girl told me she didn't realize black people could be so short (I'm 5'0).

And of course people did sometimes stare, and asked to do stupid stuff like touch my hair. From my personal experience I don't think its somewhere I could live long term. I did make a good bit of friends but most were Asian and I even had a guy that liked me there and we went on a few dates (white/asian guy).

Please tell her to bring all of her hair care products with her. Its very hard to find hair products geared towards African American hair there and she'll really have to search to find a black hair salon. I found one, but all they did was braids.

And she shouldn't expect to see many black people. I only saw maybe three black people the entire time I was in Canberra, even when I visited Sydney and Melbourne I hardly saw any black people, so it was a big culture shock for me.
Geez i can imagine, it must've have been a huge cultural shock from going from a majority black city to Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 02:53 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,731,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormadNYC View Post
Geez i can imagine, it must've have been a huge cultural shock from going from a majority black city to Australia.
One key thing to remember about studying in Australia is that a large proportion of students are from overseas. I went to university in Canberra, and at about one quarter of students there would be from various parts of Asia, with smaller numbers from the middle east and other spots. If you're living on campus, things change dramatically, as those overseas students will make up the vast majority of those you'll be living and mixing with. Additionally a very large proportion of local students are part time and have very limited day to day presence on campus - you might only meet and see them at tutorials now and then. So life at an Aussie university is not really an introduction to Australian culture.

Still, they seem like pretty bizarre experiences.

Last edited by Richard1098; 03-01-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 03-02-2014, 03:26 PM

108 posts, read 153,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
One key thing to remember about studying in Australia is that a large proportion of students are from overseas. I went to university in Canberra, and at about one quarter of students there would be from various parts of Asia, with smaller numbers from the middle east and other spots. If you're living on campus, things change dramatically, as those overseas students will make up the vast majority of those you'll be living and mixing with. Additionally a very large proportion of local students are part time and have very limited day to day presence on campus - you might only meet and see them at tutorials now and then. So life at an Aussie university is not really an introduction to Australian culture.

Still, they seem like pretty bizarre experiences.
Thats what I meant but thankyou for your info, and Australia does not have cities that are mostly black like the US.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,679 times
Hi there,
Gosh what a pity you did not go to sydney or melbourne, as there are huge african communities there. Like most cities you need to know what areas have the large populations. There are lots of areas in melbourne with black communities, like sunshine, footscray etc. These places are full with shops and salons, who do weaves, wigs, hair products etc. I am not to sure bout brisbame though.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:26 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,588,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NormadNYC View Post
Thats what I meant but thankyou for your info, and Australia does not have cities that are mostly black like the US.
That's true. We never had slavery like the Carribbean and America. Black people living in Australia now are very recent immigrants, and therefore a tiny percentage of the population. In another couple of hundred years we'll be much browner overall.

Old 07-05-2014, 10:34 PM

48 posts, read 60,510 times
back to the op i know it's an old topic but it may be helpful for others to know

a lot of african american basketball players come down here and decide to stay because they love the lifestyle here.

dante exum and ben simmons are both sons of african american basketball players who have lived here and stayed and theyre both proud australians.

Old 07-06-2014, 12:33 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,936,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_p View Post
back to the op i know it's an old topic but it may be helpful for others to know

a lot of african american basketball players come down here and decide to stay because they love the lifestyle here.

dante exum and ben simmons are both sons of african american basketball players who have lived here and stayed and theyre both proud australians.

USA born residents make up less than 0.03% of the population, Australia has never been a significant destination for Americans which is neither good or bad. I don't know if I would use the term "a lot" for basket ball players with links to Aus either.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:49 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,731,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Battleneter View Post
USA born residents make up less than 0.03% of the population, Australia has never been a significant destination for Americans which is neither good or bad. I don't know if I would use the term "a lot" for basket ball players with links to Aus either.
I think he was referring to how common it is for African American basketball players stay on permanently after finishing their career with the NBL. It is reasonably common.

You need to shift the decimal point - 0.33% based on the last census. There was significant immigration from the US during the gold rush years of the mid 1800s.

Old 07-06-2014, 02:37 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,936,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1098 View Post
I think he was referring to how common it is for African American basketball players stay on permanently after finishing their career with the NBL. It is reasonably common.

You need to shift the decimal point - 0.33% based on the last census. There was significant immigration from the US during the gold rush years of the mid 1800s.
Yea i got that, but its still not "a lot", and yep you are correct about the decimal point, roughly a third of 1 percent.

Old 07-06-2014, 09:38 PM

48 posts, read 60,510 times
Guess I should have said a fair 'few'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand