U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:26 AM

984 posts, read 965,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssm4ssm4 View Post
My wife and I have the opportunity to work either in Australia or New Zealand for a period of time (1-2 years). We need advice about where to move to. Here's what we are looking for.

1. Beautiful beach with beautiful weather; 70s-80s F, low humidity all year
2. Medium sized town, preferably a university town
3. Cultural stuff to do (theatre, movies, concerts, etc)
4. Great restaurants
5. Town needs to be a walkable town
6. Outdoorsy stuff to do with beautiful scenery (We're into hiking, biking, etc)
7. Mountains with skiing if possible, but not critical

In short, I'm looking for paradise on earth for 1-2 years. Would appreciate all advice given.
Hobart meets all the criteria except for #1- well 70's maybe but little 80's. Has mountains, skiing doubtful.

Townsville, Queensland meets 1-6, a bit sparse in #3 but they do have some cultural events. Brisbane is only a flight away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 09:33 AM

644 posts, read 646,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickAussie View Post
Hobart meets all the criteria except for #1- well 70's maybe but little 80's. Has mountains, skiing doubtful.

Townsville, Queensland meets 1-6, a bit sparse in #3 but they do have some cultural events. Brisbane is only a flight away.
Townsville probably doesn't fit in with the low humidity. One place that the OP may want to look at which while not a university town does have a quite a good medical community is the Hunter region. Newcastle university is nearby and does have a medical course. It is a drive away (think the Portland to Boston drive) from Sydney. There are lovely beaches with non-beach weather starting in late May and going through to late August.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:57 AM

12 posts, read 27,202 times
Thanks for all the advice. I'm starting to narrow down my choice to the QLD coast and a small or medium sized city. Other potential choices would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-04-2009, 11:08 AM

I've heard Byron Bay is a great place. Is this also a nice town to settle down in for a couple years? Or is it strictly a tourist town?

Old 11-04-2009, 03:52 PM

9,070 posts, read 11,520,075 times
If someone asked you what city in the US met your criteria, perhaps it would help people make suggestions.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:10 PM

1,508 posts, read 818,676 times
Byron Bay has good beaches, and is close to rainforests, bushwalking etc.
It is over-rated as a place to live, but that is just my opinion, and has a substantial "feral" element, as does nearby Lismore.
Southern Cross university has campuses in Lismore and the Gold Coast, as well as in Coffs Harbour.
Gold Coast also has Bond University
I have had plenty of holidays, week-ends etc on the Gold Coast, and despite it's tourist reputation, it is full of life and activity, and is cultured.
This is a sub-tropical region, and ski fields are a 2 day drive away.
Sub-tropical climates do take a while to get used to, despite the way they blow their own trumpets about "perfect climate".
I have already mentioned Wollongong, but Newcastle is also a very beautiful city, close to Port Stephens and the Barrington Tops etc, as well as Hunter Valley wineries.
It is large enough (over 1/2 million people) to be self-sustaining.
The university is much larger than say Southern Cross, and has many international students, and a Faculty of Medicine.
The climate is more temperate.
Of course I am biased because this is my region and where I live.
Whatever floats your boat as they say.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
If someone asked you what city in the US met your criteria, perhaps it would help people make suggestions.
monterey or santa cruz, ca

Old 11-04-2009, 06:25 PM

9,070 posts, read 11,520,075 times
Hobart, TAS
might fit your bill then!
or a small town/city west of melbourne - warmambool

Old 11-04-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
Byron Bay has good beaches, and is close to rainforests, bushwalking etc.
It is over-rated as a place to live, but that is just my opinion, and has a substantial "feral" element, as does nearby Lismore.
Southern Cross university has campuses in Lismore and the Gold Coast, as well as in Coffs Harbour.
Gold Coast also has Bond University
I have had plenty of holidays, week-ends etc on the Gold Coast, and despite it's tourist reputation, it is full of life and activity, and is cultured.
This is a sub-tropical region, and ski fields are a 2 day drive away.
Sub-tropical climates do take a while to get used to, despite the way they blow their own trumpets about "perfect climate".
I have already mentioned Wollongong, but Newcastle is also a very beautiful city, close to Port Stephens and the Barrington Tops etc, as well as Hunter Valley wineries.
It is large enough (over 1/2 million people) to be self-sustaining.
The university is much larger than say Southern Cross, and has many international students, and a Faculty of Medicine.
The climate is more temperate.
Of course I am biased because this is my region and where I live.
Whatever floats your boat as they say.
Thanks Derek. I don't mind humidity, especially near the beach. Couple questions:

What is it about Byron Bay that is overrated?
What about the sunshine coast (Caloundra, etc)
What would be your favorite towns on the gold coast to live in?

Gold Coast seems nice but I'm concerned that they are purely beach towns. Any towns there with real soul to them?

Old 11-04-2009, 06:49 PM

1,508 posts, read 818,676 times
The Gold Coast is a continuum of towns merged into one large city.
I prefer the northern end - ie Surfers Paradise and Broadbeach - always activity there, and does have a soul.
Close to theme parks and other tourist attractions, and closer to Brisbane. Good restaurants etc.
The southern end is quieter, eg Coolangatta, and many people prefer this.
As far as Byron goes, I just simply don't like the Northern Rivers, including other towns such as Lismore, Grafton and Ballina.
High unemployment, lower class, uncultured area interspersed with a splashing of upper class living on ocean frontages.
Have only been to the Sunshine Coast once, so can't comment on that area. Seems fairly laid back in comparison to the Gold Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand