Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2007, 09:28 PM

29 posts, read 240,233 times

Advertisements

Anyone know when is the best time of year to visit australia. I am trying to plan a vacation down there for my family but don't know how the difference in the months differ since by the different location it is from the US. Any help would be appreciated.

Chrtisti
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 03:47 PM

376 posts, read 1,862,931 times
Seasons are in reverse. When it is summer here in the northern hemisphere, it is winter there. When it is spring here, it is fall there.

As Australia is a big country like the US/Canada-they have different climates and time zones too. Australia in their winter (say Sydney or Melbourne) can be cold but not as cold as say America's northeast. The more north you go in Australia the warmer it gets.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:21 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,151,867 times
There really is no bad time to visit Australia's big coastal cities in terms of weather. But the east coast, from Brisbane down to Melbourne, can get pretty hot in the summer (and bush fires don't help) and the southeast (around Melbourne) has a reputation for being grey and rainy in winter. But, compared to US big cities on the East Coast and Midwest, you don't have to worry about snow, hurricanes or tornadoes. I've been to Australia (mostly Sydney) in every season and generally have had decent weather.

If you're going into the Outback however, it's going to be blazing hot during the antipodean summer (December-March). It's probably best not to go there then.

Last edited by TrueDat; 05-16-2007 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: correct spelling

Old 05-17-2007, 07:42 AM

5 posts, read 23,468 times
As urbandeco says, our seasons are the opposite to the Northern hemisphere. Depends which parts of the country you want to visit. The following website should assist...

But bear in mind almost all of the non tropical part of Australia has been officially in drought for a few years and on severe water restrictions, the rule book on weather patterns can be thrown out the window!

http://www.cultureandrecreation.gov....icles/weather/

Old 06-01-2007, 02:13 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,433,616 times
yeah, whats going on with that? are you really going to let all your croplands die?

what will you eat?

Old 06-01-2007, 10:04 PM

6 posts, read 49,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
yeah, whats going on with that? are you really going to let all your croplands die?

what will you eat?
Thats a funny comment. I think its a lil more complicated than just "letting" our crops die. Australians are doing a hell of alot to help our farmers with the drought. Just my 2cents!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 03:23 PM

255 posts, read 1,193,448 times
Hi, I'm an Aussie living in the U.S. It's really good that you asked the question about the time of year to visit Australia since it's hugely important for the enjoyment of your vacation. As someone else has explained, the seasons are the reverse in the Southern Hemisphere. However, it depends on where you are planning on going as to which would be the better time. For example, I was home last year in April/May and visited Sydney, Brisbane and Cairns. The weather was cool in Sydney but warm and very pleasant in both Brisbane and Cairns. If you're thinking of visiting Melbourne, South Australia and Perth, then the warmer time of the year would be better. If you're wanting to see Uluru (Ayers Rock) or visit Alice Springs, Darwin and Cairns, you might want to do that in the winter. The last time I was in Alice and Uluru it was 114 degrees in December. And on the off-chance that you're thinking of visiting Kakadu National Park in the Northern Territory, you need to consider the wet season as well. Having said all that, it never hurts to have some warm clothes with you as well since I've known it to be very cool in November in Sydney (where I'm from). Hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:54 PM

104 posts, read 451,670 times
avoid adelaide and perth december,janurary unless you like heatwaves and june july unless you like rain id suggest september october march and april.

the goldcoast/brisbane is nice september/october before cyclones and rain

melbourne is not nice in winter it buckets down and also dec/jan

darwin is usuallya mild 30 degrees and humid in wet season and hot and dry in dry season
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand