Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:16 AM

4,220 posts, read 4,888,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
We spell it that way in SA....see Victor Harbor.
I didn't know this...

Quote:
This spelling, found in several geographical names in South Australia, including Outer Harbor, is the result of spelling errors made by an early Surveyor General of South Australia.[5] Conversely Victor Harbour railway station is spelt with the u.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:48 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It also depends on peoples definition of a white Christmas. Some insist it actually has to snow on Christmas day, others as long as snow is on the ground, you're good. Usually where I live we have snow on the ground at least at that time of year, which is fine by me.

Here you go:

Considering I live in Philadelphia, and going by the 1981-2010 period, we have about a 10% chance of a "White Christmas"(defined by NOAA as 1" or more of snow cover on the ground at 7am Christmas Day). Hence, one can assume the majority of the US rarely has a White Christmas. We are much more likely to have a wet brown/green Christmas. You are not missing anything Australia.

I think the OP is a kid, cause I guess I'm hopeful that the majority of Americans wouldn't be so ignorant of the world as to assume the globe celebrates a uniquely American holiday such as Thanksgiving. I honestly thought they taught that in elementary school, but I guess geography classes have gone out the window.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:57 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Its fall now in australia....right ?

Old 05-01-2012, 04:11 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,271,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Its fall now in australia....right ?
Yep just starting to chill down.

Except we call it Autumn. Fall is something you do when you've had too much to drink

Old 05-01-2012, 08:34 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
I didn't know this...
Only victor harbour is spelled that way.
There is a franklin harboUr in SA
And a HarboUr town shopping centre in Adelaide
So its NOT an SA thing.

http://www.franklinharbour.sa.gov.au/page.aspx
http://www.harbourtownadelaide.com.au/

Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Yep just starting to chill down.

Except we call it Autumn. Fall is something you do when you've had too much to drink
Autumn sounds better. Do leaves fall in aus in autumn ?

Old 05-03-2012, 10:43 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
I was astonished at how many Americans I had to explain Thanksgiving to when I moved to the U.S. The number of them who genuinely thought it must be a Holiday ALL over the world, baffled me. I had to spell out that it was an American thing, not an Australian thing.

At both workplaces I've been at, they've always given away a free turkey and pumpkin pie to all employees prior to Thanksgiving- and I've promptly given away the Turkey and Pumpkin Pie to another employee with a large family, I mean, what am I going to use it for?

I've only really celebrated Thanksgiving *once* in my 7 years in the U.S., and that was because some of my husband's friends couldn't get home for the holiday (Marine Corps) so he invited them over for dinner with us.

I made them an Australian Meat Pie, Mashed Potato, Gravy, Corn, Cheese & Chive Damper, Green Beans, Salad, and Pavlova and Apple Crumble for Dessert.

Yup, I had to put an Australian spin on it! (I've never cooked a Turkey in my life). They enjoyed it well enough though, the Apple Crumble disappeared the quickest! (American's do Apple Pie or Apple Crisp, not Apple Crumble as we know it in Australia).

Last year, my husband returned from Afghanistan on Thanksgiving. It was about 11:30pm by the time he was released though, so we just had some Baked Brie and salad when he got home. The following week his parents came to town, and his mother insisted on doing a late Thanksgiving so she did end up cooking a Turkey at my house. I didn't really consider that Thanksgiving though since it was a week late

Anyway that was way OTT. I was just amused by the OP's assumption that we have Thanksgiving in Australia/NZ.

You'd be baffled at how many American's don't realize the climate/season reversal either... *shakes head in dismay* It's this education system over here, I swear...

Old 05-03-2012, 10:46 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,863,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Autumn sounds better. Do leaves fall in aus in autumn ?
It depends where in Australia you are. Places like Armidale have very pretty Autumns, whereas in Brisbane where I grew up, it was virtually non existent. We don't have as many deciduous trees as in North America, so the difference in season isn't as startling.

Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
It depends where in Australia you are. Places like Armidale have very pretty Autumns, whereas in Brisbane where I grew up, it was virtually non existent. We don't have as many deciduous trees as in North America, so the difference in season isn't as startling.

It actually depends what tree it is, not where you live! My local streets are lined with white cedars which drop leaves and berries.

Adelaide has many trees which turn colour and shed, the Adelaide hills in particular are beautiful in autumn.

The autumn colours of the Adelaide Hills - ABC Adelaide - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Six Australian Deciduous Trees | Gardening Tips

Old 05-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Only victor harbour is spelled that way.
There is a franklin harboUr in SA
And a HarboUr town shopping centre in Adelaide
So its NOT an SA thing.

District Council of Franklin Harbour - Welcome
Harbour Town Adelaide

1. never even heard of Franklin Harbour
2. Harbourtown is a NATIONAL CHAIN
3. Outer Harbor
4. You would argue with anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand