Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 09:57 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Racist, not possible dear boy, I have a white English born wife.
Of course the sound of a twelve gauge Purdey being shut could have had something to do with that.

But oh dear, a NSW Premier not knowing what the term edged, means to ockers.
She is just a NSW based Palin, not enough experience to know she has been put in as a sacrificial lamb for 2011.
Still, as my Mossman mates would say, only the right wing branch of Labor would put a yank in as leader.

True Aussies prefer a Bob Hawke accent and some distance from the Catholic church.
But she will make a good little puppet.
Lol, let's wait before we judge her.

Actually a good deal of the early PM's were born in England or Scotland, and Catholics have been well represented (mostly on the Labor front) among PM's, like the US presidency.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:20 PM

9,327 posts, read 21,932,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Is she a dual-citizen? If not how is she allowed to be premier if she's not even an Australian citizen?
No. She gave up her American citizenship years back. She only has 1 passport - A U S T R A L I A. She went to the American embassy and renounced her American citizenship.

The OP is just an obtuse TROLL, as accurately pointed out by several folks above. If it was smart enough to do a google prior to starting yet another asinine thread, it would have been easy to find out that she is not a yank, therefor, the title of the thread is misleading. In fact her Mom and her grandmother were.. AUSSIES.

Last edited by minibrings; 12-04-2009 at 11:33 PM..

Old 12-04-2009, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
No. She gave up her American citizenship years back. She only has 1 passport - A U S T R A L I A. She went to the American embassy and renounced her American citizenship.

The OP is just an obtuse TROLL, as accurately pointed out by several folks above. If it was smart enough to do a google prior to starting yet another asinine thread, it would have been easy to find out that she is not a yank, therefor, the title of the thread is misleading. In fact her Mom and her grandmother were.. AUSSIES.
I think she would still consider herself American, or more American than Australian. But not sure if anyone's asked her?

Old 12-05-2009, 02:08 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,853,051 times
Yes, ask her, its not up to others to say what she considers herself. Place of birth is an accident- who you consider yourself is your choice.

Our deputy PM was born in Wales- that is as much a foreign country as the US is. And on that topic, the deputy PM's accent is harder to listen to than the NSW premier's.

Besides, both the US and Australia (and Canada, and other commonwealth countries, indeed some South American countires) are largely immigrant nations so the term 'Australian' or 'American' is to do more with citizenship than ethnic background.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickAussie View Post
Yes, ask her, its not up to others to say what she considers herself. Place of birth is an accident- who you consider yourself is your choice.

Our deputy PM was born in Wales- that is as much a foreign country as the US is. And on that topic, the deputy PM's accent is harder to listen to than the NSW premier's.

Besides, both the US and Australia (and Canada, and other commonwealth countries, indeed some South American countires) are largely immigrant nations so the term 'Australian' or 'American' is to do more with citizenship than ethnic background.
Indeed she is Welsh by birth. Penny Wong is Malaysian by birth so they are setting a precedent.

Maybe I'm prejudiced, but unless they were something special the least I would expect of an Australian PRIME MINISTER is that they speak with an Australian accent.

I myself was born in Singapore but came here at age 1 so am in that sense 'more Australian' than Ms Gillard. I only speak English and my accent shows no trace of ethnicity (unlike many Australians).

I used to feel bad that I 'missed' being born in Australia by a year or so, like it made me less Australian. But I don't consider a third, fourth or even fifth generation Aussie 'more true blue' than me, nor do they have any more claim over a land they took over from the aborigines anyway.

Old 12-05-2009, 04:00 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,853,051 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm prejudiced, but unless they were something special the least I would expect of an Australian PRIME MINISTER is that they speak with an Australian accent.
What kind of Australian accent? North Queensland ocker? Outback strine? Adeliade posh ala Alexander Downer?

Quote:
I myself was born in Singapore but came here at age 1 so am in that sense 'more Australian' than Ms Gillard. I only speak English and my accent shows no trace of ethnicity (unlike many Australians).
So you are amongst the 25% of us who were born overseas.

And another thing, note how they spell it LABOR, not LABOUR? OMG more Americanisation (or should I say AmericaniZation?)

Old 12-05-2009, 04:16 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,715,127 times
The word Labor was adopted when federation took place.
At that stage they were going to drop the "u" out of words and Americanise, or should I spell that Americanize, Australian spelling.
It never really took off.
There is still the odd remnant, such as Victor Harbor in South Australia.
Julia Gillard came to Australia at the age of 5, and in fact a has a broad Australian accent, with very little, if any, hint of her UK heritage.
She grew up in South Australia, and was educated in both SA and WA.
Similar to Bob Hawke in many ways.

Last edited by Derek40; 12-05-2009 at 04:18 AM.. Reason: spelling error!!!

Old 12-05-2009, 05:23 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,870,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

The OP is just an obtuse TROLL, as accurately pointed out by several folks above.
He must've swallowed alot of "Dean-Melbourne" semem....

Old 12-05-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
I think she would still consider herself American, or more American than Australian. But not sure if anyone's asked her?
she stated at the news conference that she CONSIDERS herself a PROUD Australian.
So she is Aussie fair dinkum. Case closed.

Actually some may argue that she is "more" Australian than anyone that migrated to Australia since she is technically an Australian by descent (through her mother).

From the perspective of the US government if she went abroad and got herself in trouble with the local police and was incarcerated, the US embassy will NOT come to her aid.. she would be told to contact the Australian embassy.

Last edited by minibrings; 12-05-2009 at 08:06 AM..

Old 12-05-2009, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I used to feel bad that I 'missed' being born in Australia by a year or so, like it made me less Australian. But I don't consider a third, fourth or even fifth generation Aussie 'more true blue' than me, nor do they have any more claim over a land they took over from the aborigines anyway.
Then you shouldn't consider anyone who arrived later w/ an accent any more less true blue than you. That would not be fair to them anymore than a native born Aussie telling you that you aren't true blue for having been born in the Lion state (Singapura). She has strong ties to Oz through her Mom and Grandmom

She should be judged based on her performance. With all the idiots (apologies to Mister Howard) in government these days I would not care if someone had an Aussie, Canadian or Welsh accent if they delivered on their promises. I actually think its kind of interesting that someone who was born to a pimp (American father) and Vegas showgirl (Australian mother) can become PM!

Last edited by minibrings; 12-05-2009 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand