Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:56 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
The word Labor was adopted when federation took place.
At that stage they were going to drop the "u" out of words and Americanise, or should I spell that Americanize, Australian spelling.
It never really took off.
There is still the odd remnant, such as Victor Harbor in South Australia.
Julia Gillard came to Australia at the age of 5, and in fact a has a broad Australian accent, with very little, if any, hint of her UK heritage.
She grew up in South Australia, and was educated in both SA and WA.
Similar to Bob Hawke in many ways.
At the time of Federation in 1901, there were 7,448 United States-born in Australia [3] . Around this time, these American-Australians were notable in the labour movement — including the formation of trade unions and the Australian Labor Party (hence Labor being spelt in the North American fashion instead of Australian Labour)
source: Wapedia - Wiki: American Australian

One of the things I found interesting was in 1941 there were 7.1 million Australians and up to 1 million American soldiers stationed at some point in Oz:

During the Second World War, over a million United States soldiers were at some point stationed in Australia at the request of the Australian Government following the surrender of the British garrison in Singapore to the Japanese in 1941. When the war ended, 12,000 Australian women migrated to the United States as war brides, and 10,000 United States citizens settled in Australia — including ex-servicemen as war husbands.
source: same as above.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:35 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
He must've swallowed alot of "Dean-Melbourne" semem....
OMG I almost peed my pants with laughter with that comment.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:57 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Then you shouldn't consider anyone who arrived later w/ an accent any more less true blue than you. That would not be fair to them anymore than a native born Aussie telling you that you aren't true blue for having been born in the Lion state (Singapura). She has strong ties to Oz through her Mom and Grandmom

She should be judged based on her performance. With all the idiots (apologies to Mister Howard) in government these days I would not care if someone had an Aussie, Canadian or Welsh accent if they delivered on their promises. I actually think its kind of interesting that someone who was born to a pimp (American father) and Vegas showgirl (Australian mother) can become PM!
I suppose the accent thing isn't 'make or break' just something I and most Australians would prefer. I wouldn't care if they were from Singapore or Senagal, but I would at least hope they were culturally Australian. An American sure wouldn't like somebody with an English accent running their country, would they?

Yes it's nice she has those ties to Australia but I don't think they mean very much. If she considers herself an Aussie and has pledged loyalty to this country and become a citizen, and is willing enough to serve her community then yes, good and on her and she has every right to be called an Australian.

As I grow older I grow more cynical about the claims of 'native born' supremacy. Australia is a nation of migrants, and it was migrants who made this country what it was (from the first settler's). Aussies being all xenophobic about certain peoples (like Iraqis or Africans) are rather hypocritical in my opinion. But that's a whole other can of worms.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I suppose the accent thing isn't 'make or break' just something I and most Australians would prefer. I wouldn't care if they were from Singapore or Senagal, but I would at least hope they were culturally Australian. An American sure wouldn't like somebody with an English accent running their country, would they?

Yes it's nice she has those ties to Australia but I don't think they mean very much. If she considers herself an Aussie and has pledged loyalty to this country and become a citizen, and is willing enough to serve her community then yes, good and on her and she has every right to be called an Australian.

As I grow older I grow more cynical about the claims of 'native born' supremacy. Australia is a nation of migrants, and it was migrants who made this country what it was (from the first settler's). Aussies being all xenophobic about certain peoples (like Iraqis or Africans) are rather hypocritical in my opinion. But that's a whole other can of worms.
Actually an American would probably like someone with an English accent running this country. We have such a wide variety of accents already from Hawaiian to Californian to Cajun, etc. etc. They might actually enjoy it. Now that we've had our first African American president, a president with a non-North American accent would not be a major issue. Of course US laws state that only a natural born citizen be president so at least they would have been born here.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
An American sure wouldn't like somebody with an English accent running their country, would they?
Actually an American would probably like someone with an English accent running this country. We have such a wide variety of accents already from Hawaiian to Californian to Cajun, etc. etc. They might actually enjoy it. Now that we've had our first African American president, a president with a non-North American accent would not be a major issue. Of course US laws state that only a natural born citizen be president so at least they would have been born here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
OMG I almost peed my pants with laughter with that comment.
I spit out my coffee when I read that one and changed my shirt before heading out for brekkie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
One has to laugh at the NSW Labor party putting a blonde yank in as Premier.
She better watch a lot of Hogan films to try and get rid of that yank accent.
Wonder if she still has a yank passport as well ?
Wonder whose little girl she is in the NSW Labour party ?
Lets change the above around and substitute it with a dark skinned Maori Male:
One has to laugh at the NSW Labor party putting a Maori in as Premier.
He better watch a lot of Hogan films to try and get rid of that kiwi accent.
Wonder if she still has a kiwi passport as well ?
Wonder whose little boy he is in the NSW Labour party ?

To question someone's qualifications based on appearance or nationality is ignorant.

1. How would you feel if someone made fun of a Maori running for office because of their dark hair and complexion?
2. Or if Australians questioned the ability of a kiwi born Aussie to run for office based on their kiwi accent?

The above would be just as ignorant as anyone who worshiped Sarah Palin based on her appearance or persona alone without looking at her (non-impressive IMO) qualifications.

One should think first before spewing hate and ignorant filled bile which is how the OP presents himself on C-D. Tiresome and boring are succinct observations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Is the problem that she's one of those dreaded "Yanks", or that she wasn't born here? Or is this just more tiresome and boring Yank-bashing?

Last edited by minibrings; 12-05-2009 at 09:07 AM..

Old 12-05-2009, 12:25 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,929,428 times
I have to stop reading this, I hurt from laughing..

Old 12-05-2009, 03:15 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post

I spit out my coffee when I read that one and changed my shirt before heading out for brekkie.

Lets change the above around and substitute it with a dark skinned Maori Male:
One has to laugh at the NSW Labor party putting a Maori in as Premier.
He better watch a lot of Hogan films to try and get rid of that kiwi accent.
Wonder if she still has a kiwi passport as well ?
Wonder whose little boy he is in the NSW Labour party ?

To question someone's qualifications based on appearance or nationality is ignorant.

1. How would you feel if someone made fun of a Maori running for office because of their dark hair and complexion?
2. Or if Australians questioned the ability of a kiwi born Aussie to run for office based on their kiwi accent?

The above would be just as ignorant as anyone who worshiped Sarah Palin based on her appearance or persona alone without looking at her (non-impressive IMO) qualifications.

One should think first before spewing hate and ignorant filled bile which is how the OP presents himself on C-D. Tiresome and boring are succinct observations.
Putting an Ngati Kangaru in as Premier, we would roll with laughter that our colony of West New Zealand was trying to be so damn PC.

Old 12-05-2009, 03:17 PM

adding the word clueless to the prior observations

Old 12-05-2009, 06:54 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
Look at Arnie in California. Not exactly a Californian accent, eh?

People might have made fun of his accent but I doubt Californians were going around saying "oh, how can someone with that foreign accent run our State?" or "where's his allegiance lie, the US or Austria?".

Old 12-05-2009, 07:17 PM

The OP saying he would not have a problem if the situation were reverse confirms that they are an anti-American and that the sole purpose of this thread is to troll.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand