Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,149,179 times

Advertisements

One has to laugh at the NSW Labor party putting a blonde yank in as Premier.
She better watch a lot of Hogan films to try and get rid of that yank accent.
Wonder if she still has a yank passport as well ?
Wonder whose little girl she is in the NSW Labour party ?

Old 12-04-2009, 01:54 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,715,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
One has to laugh at the NSW Labor party putting a blonde yank in as Premier.
She better watch a lot of Hogan films to try and get rid of that yank accent.
Wonder if she still has a yank passport as well ?
Wonder whose little girl she is in the NSW Labour party ?
Don't know much about her.
She is the first NSW female premier, so that is a positive.
A shame, because the Labor Party will not get back in at the next election in 2011, due to their total and inept failures here since 1995.
They've made a squillion on stamp duties and the rest, and squandered the lot.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:57 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,762,350 times
I heard a clip of her speaking, her accent sounds like an ugly mix of Aussie and American (the two just don't mix imo). I think that's a bigger deal than her being a woman, but I think it doesn't matter as long as she knows her stuff.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I heard a clip of her speaking, her accent sounds like an ugly mix of Aussie and American (the two just don't mix imo). I think that's a bigger deal than her being a woman, but I think it doesn't matter as long as she knows her stuff.
I lived in NSW and belonged to the Labor party and believe me the opposition will make hay of her being an American citizen.
I can hear the question flying across the house now, where does your first loyalty go, Sydney or Washington DC.
The left of the Labor party would rather go into opposition than lose the keys to the Premier's house.
She should have waited until Labour was in opposition.
Four Premiers in four years, not good.

Old 12-04-2009, 02:52 AM

10,781 posts, read 8,694,990 times
Is the problem that she's one of those dreaded "Yanks", or that she wasn't born here? Or is this just more tiresome and boring Yank-bashing?

Her bio says she was born in Vegas to an American dad and an Australian mother.

Penny Wong's bio says she was born in Malaysia to a Malaysian Chinese dad and an Australian mother.

Difference?

Old 12-04-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Is the problem that she's one of those dreaded "Yanks", or that she wasn't born here? Or is this just more tiresome and boring Yank-bashing?

Her bio says she was born in Vegas to an American dad and an Australian mother.

Penny Wong's bio says she was born in Malaysia to a Malaysian Chinese dad and an Australian mother.

Difference?
Aussies are far more nationalistic than kiwis and her accent will cause her to have problems in Sydney with
Labor voters.
Yank bashing, no need, just listen to coalition MPs questioning her on why she still holds American citizenship during question time.
She is perceived by some in the Labor party to be an arrogant yank who married her way into an MPs seat then has been put in as the latest puppet as Premier.

Pansy Wong is a competent MP, but, she will never be the NZ PM.
And no, not because she is a mix, but because of her accent.

Old 12-04-2009, 04:45 AM

10,781 posts, read 8,694,990 times
Well, Australians are just going to have to get used to different accents. Our country is populated by many migrants from all over the world and they're not going to be able to speak like Julia Gillard (thank god!).

Some migrants drop their foreign accents, some end up with a strange blend, others sound like they just got off the boat. It was the same for Australians when I lived in Canada. And Kiwis. But they weren't given a hard time for it. Aussies need to grow up.

And why not continue to hold the citizenship of your country of birth? Australia allows dual citizenship.

I don't know what the circumstances of her ascendancy to the office NSW Premier but sounds like typical bitchiness from pollies. They've been especially catty lately. It's really annoying.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:29 AM

656 posts, read 2,734,300 times
Well if she fixes that mess that NSW is in at this very time

I wouldn't care less where she come from....Hell we might be looking at our next Prime Minister

Does our Prime Minister have to be born in Australia
Like U.S Presidents must be born in the U.S ????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tmrn9nzaAsQ

Old 12-04-2009, 07:51 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,871,057 times
Melbourne had a mayor who couldn't speak english.

So what's all the hubbub over some chick who has a mild yank accent?

Old 12-04-2009, 08:08 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,692,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Melbourne had a mayor who couldn't speak english.

So what's all the hubbub over some chick who has a mild yank accent?
The hubbub is nzrugby's obvious dislike of America but this is congruent with his generalised racist attitude he displays.

By the way, if she was born in Las Vegas she is not a yankee. Yankee is a term used for those from New England.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand