U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 10:59 PM

6 posts, read 21,798 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to Australia but friends tell me a lot about rednecks. What cities/states are most Bogan-free?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 12:18 AM

43 posts, read 74,161 times
Starting in Melbourne which is the least bogan overall, the further north you travel the more bogan/redneck you get. Queensland is definitely the redneck capital of Australia.

Places like Noble Park, Lilydale, Croydon, Boronia are the most bogan/redneck suburbs in Melbourne.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:25 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,793,878 times
Don't come to Perth. Lots of CUBs - Cashed-Up Bogans. Well, maybe not so cashed-up these days, but still bogans.

Some are decent sort. Others are equivalent more to white-trash versus rednecks. I don't mind most rednecks.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:37 AM

9,831 posts, read 19,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juddrox View Post
I'm looking to move to Australia but friends tell me a lot about rednecks. What cities/states are most Bogan-free?
I guess if you see that as a complete negative than I'd forget about Australia. I've known quite a few people from the upper crust of society in Sydney and Melbourne and they can be just as bogan as any average day laborer out there. Bogans are everywhere in Australia and it's a part of their life and culture.

Despite being in the modern world, and Australians may disagree, Australia is still a frontier country. It is nearly the size of the continental USA with 1/15 the population and 90% of that population living on 1% of the land. It is still a very rugged place when true wilderness is not far away. You can go 2 hours from Sydney, walk out in the bush and get lost and never be seen again.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:40 AM

14,790 posts, read 14,412,250 times
ha ha Vichel, I was going to nominate Perth as the best place to go

just to take the ****

CUB's ... give me an old skool bogan anyday.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:59 AM

10,791 posts, read 7,793,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
ha ha Vichel, I was going to nominate Perth as the best place to go

just to take the ****

CUB's ... give me an old skool bogan anyday.
Yeah, can't deny reality. This is Boganup, W.A.

There's bogans - hard working, blue-collar types, rough around the edges but decent sort ... then there's bogans, not so hard working or pleasant, more along the line of ferals. End-of-the-line types. Quite a few of those here. Since Perth's basically the end of the line

Last edited by Vichel; 12-18-2009 at 01:19 AM..

Old 12-18-2009, 03:45 AM

2,400 posts, read 2,788,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean-Melbourne View Post
Starting in Melbourne which is the least bogan overall, the further north you travel the more bogan/redneck you get. Queensland is definitely the redneck capital of Australia.

Places like Noble Park, Lilydale, Croydon, Boronia are the most bogan/redneck suburbs in Melbourne.
Just unfortunate they tend to live in Melbourne's "newer" SE suburbs

Old 12-18-2009, 05:58 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,382,893 times
Don't forget the shire of Bogan in NSW.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 12-18-2009 at 07:22 AM..

Old 12-18-2009, 10:35 AM

6 posts, read 21,798 times
Thanks for all these posts; super informative. Sounds like Melbourne's a good option. The tourism ads we see for Sydney in particular show Australia as a spectacular and very culturally sophisticated place -- a lot like San Francisco, Seattle or Vancouver. Good restaurants and of course beautiful scenery. Where do the "ferals" as one poster described go then? How will I know a Bogan area or recognize a place where they hang out? In other countries it's very easy to identify these areas. I don't want to sound snobbish, I'd just prefer to live somewhere without having drunken morons burning out tires in my street and throwing fists, and all the small mindedness that tends to go with it.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:45 PM

1,503 posts, read 2,206,424 times
Often "satellites" of major centres or capital cities will be very heavily represented with bogans.
The reason I say this is that one can fall for the trap of "near enough is good enough", if they decide to commute, or live near a city.
The western suburbs (especially outer areas) of Sydney coined the word "westies", which is a more commonly used expression in NSW than bogans.
Places like the Central Coast north of Sydney is full of ferals, young single mothers with or without their loser "partners", and the like, interspersed with wealth.
The Illawarra area south of Sydney is supposedly similar.
Rockingham-Mandurah south of Perth is similar.
The northern suburbs of Adelaide and places like Port Pirie once again.
There are plenty of them here in Newcastle and the Hunter Valley, places like Cessnock are notorious.
Dean states that Queensland is inundated with them, but that has not been my experience, but places like the Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast will have plenty of bogans rubbing shoulders with the tourists.
Probably only some solubrious inner-city areas are you going to find less bogans, and more genteel type individuals.
Just about all country towns you are going to find more bogans than not.
Bottom line is that you can't escape them here in this country.
I am a university educated professional, of catholic background, and I don't have anything in common with them either.
Without wishing to sound snobbish, I understand your genuine concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand