Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:55 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I do. Very willingly actually Much more willingly than I'd listen to that painful screamer Barnsey. Guy looks like he's going to blow a few blood vessels in his head, or groin, the way he "sings".

Just all personal taste. Also, it often comes down to what songs meant to you at certain times in your life. For me, Men at Work's Down Under reminds me of when Australia won the Americas Cup. I was living in Vancouver at the time, and it was such a thrill when Oz won, in Freo. Canadians loved the song too. I remember being asked what "chunder" meant so many times. And Kombi.
"Down Under" I think was a song that probably more popular around the world than Australia itself. The lyrics for one thing are a bit odd and nonsensical. It has been restructured and used many times as jingle for any Australian themed product on a tv commercial or whatever with the lyrics about stumbling around high on doobie in a volkswagen van conveniently removed.

"Great Southern Land" I always thought was a more "epic" song overall, but one that is not as well known outside of Australia. It is a song that I enjoy listening to over and over while flying down under on Qantas.

"You're the Voice" was another epic song that seemed to capture the hearts and minds of Australians. I think it spent 2 years in the charts in the late 80's. 20 years from now they could probably wheel John Farnham out of the nursing home to sing this song and everyone would still love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 04:13 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
the way he "sings".
He does have a bad voice.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:27 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
"Down Under" I think was a song that probably more popular around the world than Australia itself.
Yes, good observation. Same for Steve Irwin. The rest of the world loved him, Australia seemed to be embarrassed by him. I lived in Canada when he was getting to be popular. I watched him on tv with my kids. We loved him. Everybody did. When we moved here, I noticed that there wasn't the same sort of fondness for Irwin here as there was overseas. When the news broke that he had died, I remember being quite shocked at the smirks and the jokes by people in the office I was working in. It seemed almost nasty.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:36 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Acca Dacca (seeing them next month) - oh & they're aussie.

Hunters & Collectors (Throw your arms around me / Holy Grail )

The Cat Empire - now, now, I use to see this band around Melbourne a heap in 2003/2004 - pre record deal. their shows are awesome. heaps of energy, good vibes etc. Their music does not transcend to radio/CD

Powderfinger

Chisel - Khe Sanh is an anthem!

Men at work - downunder. I still listen to this song, especially when overseas

The OILS - how awesome was it seeing them at the bushfire appeal last year??

jet/wolfmothers; first albums were good. Jets 2nd/3rd crap.and I am sure wolfmother have disbanded

what about geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu - what a voice!

ohh remember diesel? I had the biggest crush on johnny diesel ha ha

oh and the angels - nothing like being in a pub & singing the audience response to "Am I ever gonna see your face again"

Old 01-11-2010, 11:44 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
I thought Natalie Bassingthwaighte's 2009 album was a nice departure from the crash, boom, bang of the Rogue Traders:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIJSVOO7Btc

Old 01-12-2010, 04:04 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,925,526 times
i think this guy is fantastic.

Granted, it's not the kind of stuff you can rock out to while you do the housework, but it's fantastic as background music when you have guests, or to chill out as a party winds down.
Also great to stick on in the background as you lie in a nice hot bath, with a glass or two of wine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8-YMpYbRqY

Old 01-13-2010, 07:55 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,955,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
i think this guy is fantastic.

Granted, it's not the kind of stuff you can rock out to while you do the housework, but it's fantastic as background music when you have guests, or to chill out as a party winds down.
Also great to stick on in the background as you lie in a nice hot bath, with a glass or two of wine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8-YMpYbRqY
Great song.

He was in Yothu Yindi with his uncle, Mandawuy Yunupingu.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 01-13-2010 at 08:07 AM..

Old 01-20-2010, 01:11 PM

42 posts, read 105,008 times
Salmonella dub!!!

Old 01-20-2010, 06:00 PM

53 posts, read 108,975 times
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
The Birthday Party
The Drones (my favorite band around. Think drunken, angry aussie blues rock)

One day I'll check out Augie March, and the Church

Old 01-20-2010, 08:14 PM

17 posts, read 61,991 times
I'll go for Peter Andre... aside he was a good singer, he was also HOT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand