U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2010, 05:02 PM
 
656 posts, read 2,375,823 times
Reputation: 1189

Advertisements

KFC's cricket ad featuring West Indians slammed as racist | The Australian

Oh Boy!

Well I must be racist because I have watched this ad 10 times and I still can't figure out what the fuss is about

Now if you haven't seen the ad. It has what is obviously an Australian cricket supporter sitting with a bunch of West Indian cricket supporters. No surprises there as Australia is playing the West Indies. The West Indian cricket crowd is rowdy (No shock there, sports fans are rowdy) Anyway the Australian hands out some KFC to the crowd (it is a KFC ad) and says "Need a tip when you're stuck in an awkward situation...Too easy" which
brings the crowd under control.

So this ad has apparently made some Americans angry

They say it depicts African Americans (I thought its West Indians ) as Chicken loving rowdy stereotypes

Now as an Australian I didn't know that in the States African Americans apparently are seen as having a craving for fried chicken,
and also for being rowdy.....its news to me

Now isn't that a American stereotype.... Not an Australian stereotype?

I don't know why Australians should be blamed for not knowing a far off nation's crazy stereotypes and how to them it may or might not be offensive...last I heard this ad is to be seen in Australia only!

A swear the World is getting Dumber by the minute


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQfZRnqQr-k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2010, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Denver via Austin
2,974 posts, read 6,232,778 times
Reputation: 3121
I'm an American who occasionally lurks around on this board, so I guess I'll give my perspective. I personally don't think the ad is racist, but I could see where an overly politically correct American who didn't know the story behind the ad could interpret it as such. Without knowing that it was referencing the cricket match against West Indies, one could think that just being around black people was the awkward situation instead of being surrounded by the rival team's fans like the commercial meant. Some would even go so far as to interpret the commercial as "You want to appease a minority? Just give them some food." Again, that was not the aim of the commercial. You also have to understand that America has had a difficult past when it comes to race relations, so people can be a little too sensitive sometimes because they are afraid of offending anyone, even if something is not racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 08:01 PM
 
9,326 posts, read 19,010,452 times
Reputation: 4398
I have NOT HEARD any mention of this advert on the US media!

I have never heard of Ana Kasperian or that blogger Craig Brimm. I did a google and she has a show on Cirius which is a subscription only service with 5 million subscribers - do the math, this is less than 2% of the population. Then you have to figure out when her show is on so who really heard it.. and then you can determine that the GREAT MAJORITY of Americans have NEVER HEARD OF THIS ADVERT or DON'T CARE. It was not mentioned in any of the main stream media outlets. I did a search of the CNN and FOxNEWS sites for racist kfc ad and NOTHING.

No need to get in a tiff or in an Americans versus Australians discussion on this one mate.. its a NON EVENT in the US! So please do not try to portray this as the majority of Americans are discussing this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 08:38 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
9,595 posts, read 22,949,152 times
Reputation: 3492
Quote:
In the commercial, screened during the cricket Test , the young man is swamped by rowdy West Indies supporters
Quote:
Critics said the commercial perpetuated a stereotype that African Americans eat large quantities of fried chicken.
^^ It sounded kinda stupid to put these sentences in the same article, imho.

- These "rowdy" West Indians were smiling and playing steel pan drums before being offered chicken; the horror!!!

- Americans including "African Americans" are largely ignorant of cricket, even I don't quite understand the game.

- the state of Kentucky isn't exactly a hotbed of cricket

- African Americans probably do eat their fair share of fried chicken, as much of their culture was derived from living in the Southern U.S., many black families migrated away from the South in the 1930's. Fried chicken was invented there and is a cultural staple.

- West Indians (much of whom happen to be "black") also like fried chicken;
I found recipes for homemade fried chicken in a Jamaican cookbook

- Almost everyone I've met from the Caribbean are proud to say they are from the Caribbean, or their particular island.
I've never heard of them identify themselves as American; African or otherwise.

- Culturally, it could be expected that they would like fried chicken as much as Aussies would likely enjoy a lager, "cuppa" or a Vegemite-sandwich.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 01-06-2010 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in the universe
2,161 posts, read 3,879,352 times
Reputation: 1417
I guess I could see how it is offensive, it you really look into it, but I don't find anything that bad about it. Just showed a bunch of happy people with chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Sunshine Coast, BC
10,791 posts, read 7,506,721 times
Reputation: 17724
They're just jumping on the "Australia is Racist" trendy bandwagon. It seems we're getting it from all sides these days. Indians saying we're racist .... Americans ...

Anybody else out there want to have a go? Get your sanctimonious free-punches in now, while the going's hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 10:59 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,765 posts, read 22,047,781 times
Reputation: 5294
I love Australia, heck I'm half Aussie (mom grew up there), and I can clearly see what's wrong with this ad. African Americans are said to be more likely to enjoy fried chicken than whites, and frankly in the USA, when you go into many KFC's, you will not see a white person.

So coming from someone who is "half" Aussie, I can clearly see the outrage over this ad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 11:13 PM
 
9,817 posts, read 19,051,858 times
Reputation: 7541
Sounds like a storm in a tea cup.

Pole vault over a mouse turd.

People are either way too sensitive or have too much time on their hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 11:14 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in the universe
2,161 posts, read 3,879,352 times
Reputation: 1417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
They're just jumping on the "Australia is Racist" trendy bandwagon. It seems we're getting it from all sides these days. Indians saying we're racist .... Americans ...

Anybody else out there want to have a go? Get your sanctimonious free-punches in now, while the going's hot.
Look, you may hear this in the media, but I don't know any American who says that or knows about this. In fact I just found out about it right now and probably wouldn't have known if I didn't come one here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 11:23 PM
 
656 posts, read 2,375,823 times
Reputation: 1189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
I'm an American who occasionally lurks around on this board, so I guess I'll give my perspective. I personally don't think the ad is racist, but I could see where an overly politically correct American who didn't know the story behind the ad could interpret it as such. Without knowing that it was referencing the cricket match against West Indies, one could think that just being around black people was the awkward situation instead of being surrounded by the rival team's fans like the commercial meant. Some would even go so far as to interpret the commercial as "You want to appease a minority? Just give them some food." Again, that was not the aim of the commercial. You also have to understand that America has had a difficult past when it comes to race relations, so people can be a little too sensitive sometimes because they are afraid of offending anyone, even if something is not racist.
My point exactly. People making a fuss about the ad without
understanding its true context


Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
I have NOT HEARD any mention of this advert on the US media!

I have never heard of Ana Kasperian or that blogger Craig Brimm. I did a google and she has a show on Cirius which is a subscription only service with 5 million subscribers - do the math, this is less than 2% of the population. Then you have to figure out when her show is on so who really heard it.. and then you can determine that the GREAT MAJORITY of Americans have NEVER HEARD OF THIS ADVERT or DON'T CARE. It was not mentioned in any of the main stream media outlets. I did a search of the CNN and FOxNEWS sites for racist kfc ad and NOTHING.

No need to get in a tiff or in an Americans versus Australians discussion on this one mate.. its a NON EVENT in the US! So please do not try to portray this as the majority of Americans are discussing this!
No minibrings I'm not getting in a tiff

Reading back on my original post, it does come across
as a little too Anti-American...But that is not my intention

My apologies

I'm really trying to point that this is Political Correctness gone Mad. People complaining without really understanding the true context of this material

Going on what you said minibrings the U.S media have paid this little attention, which might well be the case
But the Australian Media are certainly making a big issue out of this. Its the main article of today's Google news results

But perhaps its just the Australian Media that is really trying to beat this up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
They're just jumping on the "Australia is Racist" trendy bandwagon. It seems we're getting it from all sides these days. Indians saying we're racist .... Americans ...

Anybody else out there want to have a go? Get your sanctimonious free-punches in now, while the going's hot.
Agreed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top