U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:48 AM

31 posts, read 56,126 times
Perhaps it's more to do with where I live in Queensland but I don't know anyone who claims to have an indigenous Australian ancestor but I know plenty that have Maori or Pacific Island ancestry and who still proudly embrace their cultural heritage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 04:20 AM

84 posts, read 141,466 times
My aunty has some aboriginal heritage, and she is ashamed of it. I think that's sad, but that seems to be a general trend with a lot of 'white' Australians who have some aboriginal ancestry I've noticed.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:26 PM

1,508 posts, read 887,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard7666 View Post
My aunty has some aboriginal heritage, and she is ashamed of it. I think that's sad, but that seems to be a general trend with a lot of 'white' Australians who have some aboriginal ancestry I've noticed.
Many white Australians that have a slightly above average sun tan, will ofte claim that they must have a "splash" of dark fella somewhere back in their ancestry.
This is usually no more that a throw down comment, that cannot be substantiated.
Either that, or some other exotic Spanish blood etc, which equally cannot be proven.
Unless someone actually does a family tree, nobody really knows.
With the anti-discrimination laws the way they are, and social welfare benefits, some oppurtunists have been known to do this - even if they don't look anything like an aboriginal.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:23 AM

84 posts, read 141,466 times
They don't have to prove it? I know here Maori have to prove it.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:15 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,170,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard7666 View Post
They don't have to prove it? I know here Maori have to prove it.
About Australia: Indigenous peoples: An overview (http://www.dfat.gov.au/facts/Indigenous_peoples.html - broken link)

According to DFAT. They must one of fit three indentity requirements, if they're wanting to benefit from a government program? But beyond that, You don't really need to prove anything!....Though very few would claim Aboriginal heritage, just for the sake of it!

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 01-30-2010 at 09:04 AM..

Old 01-08-2011, 02:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,846 times
As a Native North American of the East Coast, my Dad had roots directly from Ireland and Wales but my Mothers side is difficult to trace and her ancestry was when there were no birth certificates or social security numbers....The catholics would travel through Mexico northwest and convert natives and issue baptismal certificates which were later used to determine around how old they would be...they may have been 3 or 6 years old at the time of issue...My mothers American Indian Heritage was scattered throughout the northeast territory and the southwest, some were pushed down to Mexico and up to Canada so I'd say...the whole continent is mixed together at least in my bloodline which I am very proud of, The love of nature seems to be ingrained in my bones and the sea well what can I say the Welshman in my family was a seaman...So this is how I feel, If an Australian has roots from whence it was inhabited by the English...they are pretty well ingrained Native inhabitants as well regardless of the shade of their skin. I noticed that Australians are extremely attractive people and I don't feel that way about the english, I don't think they look alike at all, I think the Australians have much softer lines about their features and the spirit is rugged unlike the poised English...so I'd say yes, they are as native to their land as we are to ours.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:49 PM

9,072 posts, read 11,973,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I was wondering this. I'd say that majority of people I know, black or white, claim to have some Native American blood. I'm doubtful if most actually do, but the fact that people actually claim it is interesting to me. Native Americans have a lot of problems right now, probably just as much as Australian Aborigines, but most Americans still associate Native Americans as a proud people and want to claim some of that heritage. I'm wondering if the same can be said for Australian Aborigines.
Do you live where there are a lot of native americans? I've lived in the Bay Area, Detroit, NY and NH and have never encounterd a single person claiming native american ancestry. Living in South Australia I never came across a white Australian claiming aboriginal ancestry.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:46 PM

291 posts, read 348,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
In any case, that is why most Southerners do in fact have 1/16 or 1/32 or thereabouts Cherokee blood. A few years ago there were a whole slew of people trying to get benefits for claiming Native American heritage; it was interesting that DNA testing confirmed that so many did have Native blood somewhere in their lineage, but rarely was it enough for them to <falsely> claim any sort of reparations.
1/16 would mean a full blood g-g grandparent ... sure about that?
It wouldn't be obvious in some people but quite possible to spot it in others.
I reckon the white Southerners who have it would have a much smaller splash of Indian blood than 1/16 or 1/32

Old 01-14-2011, 08:13 PM

2,405 posts, read 3,738,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
1/16 would mean a full blood g-g grandparent ... sure about that?
It wouldn't be obvious in some people but quite possible to spot it in others.
I reckon the white Southerners who have it would have a much smaller splash of Indian blood than 1/16 or 1/32
You'd be surprised, actually. There's been a long history of intermarriage between Whites/Blacks and Native Americans in the South, and the Native American communities are much more integrated than they are in most of the nation. I'm 1/16 Coushatta myself (a tribe that was originally from Alabama but forced westward to East Texas and Louisiana). For many, I think it's something to be proud of because it's a combination that's distinctly American, but it doesn't appear that having Aboriginal blood in your ancestry carries the same connotations for Australians.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:29 PM

24,693 posts, read 17,341,671 times
One thing I find interesting, the state governments encouraged inbreeding between whites and aborigines to breed them out of extinction while the Americans would lynch a black man for even looking at a white woman (although I'm sure the opposite happened more).

There are also other interesting 'combos', such as aboriginal-asians, especially up in the Top End and northern WA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand