U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-14-2011, 09:56 PM

9,597 posts, read 13,992,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
One thing I find interesting, the state governments encouraged inbreeding between whites and aborigines to breed them out of extinction while the Americans would lynch a black man for even looking at a white woman (although I'm sure the opposite happened more).
There are also other interesting 'combos', such as aboriginal-asians, especially up in the Top End and northern WA.
inbreeding whites?
Opposite? So lynch a white women for looking at a black man?

Aboriginal-asians probably have an exotic look about them.
A lot of interesting looking people live in Hawaii from various cultural mixes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-14-2011, 10:59 PM

24,694 posts, read 15,396,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
inbreeding whites?
Opposite? So lynch a white women for looking at a black man?

Aboriginal-asians probably have an exotic look about them.
A lot of interesting looking people live in Hawaii from various cultural mixes.
I meant white men and black women, often the result of rape/taking advantage of.

Unread 01-15-2011, 05:11 AM
Status: "Freezing in Coastal New Hampshire" (set 24 days ago)

9,045 posts, read 10,922,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
One thing I find interesting, the state governments encouraged inbreeding between whites and aborigines to breed them out of extinction while the Americans would lynch a black man for even looking at a white woman (although I'm sure the opposite happened more).

There are also other interesting 'combos', such as aboriginal-asians, especially up in the Top End and northern WA.
Interesting articl on lynching
Lynching - Lynchings, White, Blacks, South, Women, and Southern

Unread 01-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Status: "Freezing in Coastal New Hampshire" (set 24 days ago)

9,045 posts, read 10,922,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searita4 View Post
As a Native North American of the East Coast, my Dad had roots directly from Ireland and Wales but my Mothers side is difficult to trace and her ancestry was when there were no birth certificates or social security numbers....The catholics would travel through Mexico northwest and convert natives and issue baptismal certificates which were later used to determine around how old they would be...they may have been 3 or 6 years old at the time of issue...My mothers American Indian Heritage was scattered throughout the northeast territory and the southwest, some were pushed down to Mexico and up to Canada so I'd say...the whole continent is mixed together at least in my bloodline which I am very proud of, The love of nature seems to be ingrained in my bones and the sea well what can I say the Welshman in my family was a seaman...So this is how I feel, If an Australian has roots from whence it was inhabited by the English...they are pretty well ingrained Native inhabitants as well regardless of the shade of their skin. I noticed that Australians are extremely attractive people and I don't feel that way about the english, I don't think they look alike at all, I think the Australians have much softer lines about their features and the spirit is rugged unlike the poised English...so I'd say yes, they are as native to their land as we are to ours.
You do know that Oz was a british colony and has a significant 'English' population? Why would moving them to a warmer climate change their genetic physical appearance (aside from a tan). A friend calls Aussies: "brits with a tan" or "brits with better teeth"

Sorry next.. for a little humour.. "attractive" Aussies:
(I miss the Aussie version, the US attempt was horrible)
damn I'm forgetting the name of her neighbor/friend (who found a "husband" online)

source of photo:
http://www.fanpop.com/spots/kath-and...kath-kim-photo

Last edited by minibrings; 01-15-2011 at 05:35 AM..

Unread 01-15-2011, 12:51 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,109,342 times
Im not sure, but my best friend is an Australian Aborigine and she only looks about 1/4 Aboriginal, so I would say that any Aussie with any significant amount of Aboriginal blood tends to identify as one.

Unread 05-27-2011, 07:34 AM

407 posts, read 207,245 times
I had a friend in High School who claimed to have Aboriginal blood but that's because he actually was half Aboriginal, I don't know why anyone would lie about a thing like that.

Unread 05-28-2011, 02:53 AM

407 posts, read 207,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
You do know that Oz was a british colony and has a significant 'English' population? Why would moving them to a warmer climate change their genetic physical appearance (aside from a tan). A friend calls Aussies: "brits with a tan" or "brits with better teeth"

Sorry next.. for a little humour.. "attractive" Aussies:
(I miss the Aussie version, the US attempt was horrible)
damn I'm forgetting the name of her neighbor/friend (who found a "husband" online)

source of photo:
Kath&Kim - Kath & Kim Photo (2535287) - Fanpop
Her names Sharon

Unread 05-28-2011, 05:37 PM

2,549 posts, read 2,113,275 times
I would not have an idea how many people claim native american heritage. However if someone claims here to be Aboriginial its no big deal.

An white person claiming to be Aboriginal here is not commom, however they are more likely to claim their Aboriginality if they have had aboriginal ansestors than if an white south african who has native African ansestors to claim they have African ansestors.

Last edited by other99; 05-28-2011 at 06:11 PM..

Unread 05-30-2011, 07:55 PM

959 posts, read 152,315 times
I have never met a White Australian who claims to have some distant Aboriginal ancestor in their family tree.

Unread 05-31-2011, 05:52 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,113,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
I have never met a White Australian who claims to have some distant Aboriginal ancestor in their family tree.
I did when I was in school and I would never have known if they never told me.

Well here is an link to an article of people who look white but have an bit of Aboriginal ansestory.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/...-1225764532947

Last edited by other99; 05-31-2011 at 06:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand