Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 01:55 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Sydney's weather seems dry in Winter, and wet in Summer. The rain over the past 2 weeks has been full on. I think the rain alone last saturday increased the dams with 3mths worth,

The difference is the temp doesn't really drop when the rain comes, so nice & humid.

I guess Melbourne has continually topped these polls, not only worldwide & out of Australia for a reason ....
Yeah the rain here in Sydney has been relentless....Have had over 200mm already this month and much in heavy downpours. Not sure about these endlessly grey days though - ready for the sun to come out again. We are heading for a very overcast February (well below average sun to date).

But at least it stays warm - quite a sight on the balcony with the heavy downpours in the evening and being warm still

I deliberately avoided Melbourne as a place to live, purely because of its climate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 02:17 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
If Adelaide is Australia's "best kept secret", than the toilet is Sab's castle's "best kept secret" nah just kidding...
Something I'd prefer not to think about....

And all these folks banging on about Melbourne's cold weather?

LMAO!!!

Massachusetts in winter, now that's cold!

Old 02-14-2010, 03:59 AM

52 posts, read 137,740 times
Adelaide? Seriously? You couldn't pay me enough money in the world to move to Adelaide.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:34 AM

656 posts, read 2,741,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Something I'd prefer not to think about....

And all these folks banging on about Melbourne's cold weather?

LMAO!!!

It would been a a bit of a shock to the body flying in from a Massachusetts winter, to Melbourne's Summer temperatures. Especially if you where unlucky enough to fly into a Melbourne 40 degree heat wave. That would be something like a 50 degree temperature difference Moonie Hope that didn't happen to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Yeah, the Melbourne best weather thing sure has me scratching my head too. But I seem to recall one of these surveys a few years back, where Vancouver was on top, and it too was given a perfect score for its weather. And I scratched my head at that one too. Incessant drizzle, frequent downpours and eternal grey, oftentimes in summer as well, is not perfect imo.

I suppose I'd give Sydney good marks for its weather, way better than Melbourne's, but I wouldn't scratch Perth off the list for great weather. A few extreme hot days but overall the sunshine throughout most of the year is a big plus. Personally, I'd put Perth ahead of Sydney by a bit in this respect.

But I agree with Melbourne being up there for other liveability factors. It's just got a great vibe.

Vancouver at the top? Sure, if you've got buckets of money.
Well one good thing about Perth's weather is its always predictable. I feel sorry for some of those international tourist who flew into Sydney this month only to be hit with constant rain. But with Perth you could book a holiday 20 years ahead between the months of November to March and I will guarantee you a month of sunshine. For the East coast cities there is never a guarantee

Vichel anyone who would give Vancouver a perfect score for weather cannot be taken seriously

Old 02-14-2010, 04:46 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,897,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
It would been a a bit of a shock to the body flying in from a Massachusetts winter, to Melbourne's Summer temperatures. Especially if you where unlucky enough to fly into a Melbourne 40 degree heat wave. That would be something like a 50 degree temperature difference Moonie Hope that didn't happen to you
Yes it did and yes it was.

Thank goodness for twelve hours of "speed acclimitization" in Los Angeles!

Basically I left Massachusetts (temp in the below zero range and a good deal below I might add) in knee hi boots, stockings, jeans, singlet, jumper and coat and courtesy of AA forwarding ALL my bags directly to the Qantas terminal I then had to race directly to the mall and buy "summer clothes" and toiletries for the day in LA and the trip back to Oz where I arrived and it was in the early 30s.

AND then it proceeded to climb.....

Baptism of Fire is a term that springs to mind but I have to say I coped with the cold in Massachusetts a whole lot better than I anticipated AND NOW I'm actually looking forward to winter here in Melbourne to see if I get cold.....

Old 02-14-2010, 05:33 AM

656 posts, read 2,741,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Yes it did and yes it was.

Thank goodness for twelve hours of "speed acclimitization" in Los Angeles!

Basically I left Massachusetts (temp in the below zero range and a good deal below I might add) in knee hi boots, stockings, jeans, singlet, jumper and coat and courtesy of AA forwarding ALL my bags directly to the Qantas terminal I then had to race directly to the mall and buy "summer clothes" and toiletries for the day in LA and the trip back to Oz where I arrived and it was in the early 30s.

AND then it proceeded to climb.....

Baptism of Fire is a term that springs to mind but I have to say I coped with the cold in Massachusetts a whole lot better than I anticipated AND NOW I'm actually looking forward to winter here in Melbourne to see if I get cold.....
The best thing about living in Melbourne is you would used to such variations in weather

O.k maybe Not to that degree

Old 02-14-2010, 11:56 AM

53 posts, read 108,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Heatwaves in Melbourne are few and far between. "Bad" ones (what constitutes as "bad" anyway?) can be counted on one hand over the last century. This summer is a shining example. No heatwaves to speak of
Actually, looking at the temp history, the hot days seem to come in blocks of two (which is great, actually). So you're probably right, that span of 45C temps last year being a rare exception.

To me, a "bad" heat wave would be something like 4+ days with temperatures over 37C or so. I say "bad" because at that temperature, doing anything outside besides a short walk will make me sweat, and it's so uncomfortable. I used to hate going to class on hot and humid days because when you walk outside, you start to sweat and theres no air conditioning in the majority of academic buildings. Sitting close to people + sweating = awful.

It's fine if it's a weekend and you're playing sports or going to the beach, but to me it's much more uncomfortable than a really cold day. You can always add layers, but you can't take off your skin...

Quote:
I can see you modified "my" preferences.
Like I was saying before, a lot of people have their temp-perceptions moved downwards 5+ C.
You just sound moderately-cold tolerant and moderately heat-sensitive.

I don't find 34 C too difficult, even with 60% humidity.
I can suffer worse from 12 C with some wind at any time of year though. (medical condition)
"Too warm" is not in my vocabulary.
Hah yeah, I just quoted yr setup because it was easier than creating a new one. Everyone has different thresholds (and I've trained myself over the years to go out in the cold with little clothing), although I hear women are more sensitive to extreme temperatures....Agree with the wind comment though, even without a medical condition it's the wind that gets you, not the raw temperature.

As for the bolded, definitely. I've been in the southern US (North Carolina) in 90-95 F (32-35C) and I've been fine because the heat is drier. But I've also been in 90F temperatures with high humidity and have gotten sick and dizzy.

Quote:
I'm 20 miles from Boston :P.

There are colder places than here, though. Close to the coast, the temperatures usually average around the freezing point, with occasional weeks of -6Cish weather. Out in the western part of the state, where I went to school, temps get a little colder (had a week of temperatures with lows of -16C) but the midwest and central Canada get much colder temperatures than we do. The weather here is pretty good, actually, we have 4 distinct seasons but none of them are that extreme.

Last edited by atf487; 02-14-2010 at 12:05 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 12:48 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atf487 View Post
To me, a "bad" heat wave would be something like 4+ days with temperatures over 37C or so. I say "bad" because at that temperature, doing anything outside besides a short walk will make me sweat, and it's so uncomfortable. I used to hate going to class on hot and humid days because when you walk outside, you start to sweat and theres no air conditioning in the majority of academic buildings. Sitting close to people + sweating = awful.

It's fine if it's a weekend and you're playing sports or going to the beach, but to me it's much more uncomfortable than a really cold day. You can always add layers, but you can't take off your skin...
For me, sweating by itself isn't uncomfortable.
I usually can't tell that I'm sweating without touching my skin; easily ignorable.
Sweating and being pressed up against something, like "sitting down" or "wearing a backpack"? Ewww.

Even before my medical condition, I handled 37 C (record heat here )with a cold drink better
than a dressing warm on a very cold winter day, like -8 C or colder, which is just "seasonally-cold."

Quote:
Hah yeah, I just quoted yr setup because it was easier than creating a new one.

Everyone has different thresholds (and I've trained myself over the years to go out in the cold with little clothing), although I hear women are more sensitive to extreme temperatures....

Agree with the wind comment though, even without a medical condition it's the wind that gets you, not the raw temperature.
No worries!

I'm a bloke, btw!
My medical condition is arthritis-related, and is more common in women.
As far as core temperature goes, I can be more "manly" in cold-tolerance...
but wearing t-shirt and jeans with mitts at 10 C looks silly, so I don't bother.

Actually, 12 C (54 F) with no wind can "get me" too.
My fingers have turned purple in a North Carolina winter morning, dead-calm and a light fog.
Unless I can extract a lot of sun warmth at 12 C,
it's only a matter of time before my bare-fingers suffer.

*For some bizarre reason though, pain doesn't happen at 13 C, (56 F) even if I'm stuck in the rain.

Quote:
I'm 20 miles from Boston :P.

There are colder places than here, though. Close to the coast, the temperatures usually average around the freezing point, with occasional weeks of -6Cish weather. Out in the western part of the state, where I went to school, temps get a little colder (had a week of temperatures with lows of -16C) but the midwest and central Canada get much colder temperatures than we do. The weather here is pretty good, actually, we have 4 distinct seasons but none of them are that extreme.
Actually Toronto isn't "all that bad" not only as far as Eastern Canada's concerned,
but compared to most of the inland northern US too.
At USDA Zone 5a, Toronto's coldest lows are sometimes milder than even the "Central Plains".

The main differences between us and somewhere like Chicago is the cold lasts longer,
we get more cloud and our warm/heat spells are less intense, sometimes shorter.
On a typical day there wouldn't be much difference though.

Old 02-14-2010, 03:19 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,106,791 times
Quote:

Well one good thing about Perth's weather is its always predictable. I feel sorry for some of those international tourist who flew into Sydney this month only to be hit with constant rain. But with Perth you could book a holiday 20 years ahead between the months of November to March and I will guarantee you a month of sunshine. For the East coast cities there is never a guarantee

Vichel anyone who would give Vancouver a perfect score for weather cannot be taken seriously
I was thinking the exact thing this morning as I came into work, again clutching an umbrella.How disappointing for those who thought of spending endless days on Bondi ...

Another thing, Melbourne gets voted 3rd best city to live in (constant performer), Australia has almost all of its major cities in top 10, and of course we whinge about the weather! Or maybe we should keep going on how "bad" it is, so people don't want to move here?

Old 02-14-2010, 07:11 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:

Yeah, you can be guaranteed boring stretches of blinding sunshine.

It's called a Mediteranean climate, not really all that hard to come by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand