U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 06:43 AM

34 posts, read 47,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
it's a statement that we're able to stand on our own two feet, and don't need the Queen or King being head.

Sad that you think like that, the notion of having a Queen or King is so romantic for me who lives in a Republic, where the head of state is only a politician-nothing to dream about,or poetic about it, especially nowadays!Think about your children, children are spontaneaously monarchists!

I think your living in fairy land and ignorance on this issue. You clearly misunderstand it or are one of these pampered rich americans born with a silver spoon who naturally like monarcism because it favours class elitism.. Monarcism promotes inequality ,class division, and in history bloody wars and exploitaion of its peoples wherever monarcies monarchies ruled. The amount of british that are dead due to the madnesses, and ignorances of past British monarchs could fill a book. Actually the Uk itself is sorely in need of reform and many uk citizens would be glad to get rid of the british monarchy and its appendage symbolism the house of lords.

Your lucky the USA is a republic and free of the monarchy garbage and chains and I wish australia also had that same privelege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 06:54 AM

10,801 posts, read 4,643,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Nice thought, pigeonhole, and I suppose the reason we still have the monarchy is because many still think like you. Actually, as long as Queen Liz is there I don't mind the monarchy so much. She doesn't really have much to do with us - except visiting about once every decade or so and sending cards to 100 year olds - so it's symbolic. Don't know why our day to day political system need be complicated by it, though. And as Ozgal says I'll have no sentimental attachment when King Charlie ascends to the throne!
Yes, I think the reason most of us aren't jumping up and down and demanding a Republic is because of the Queen. She's an alright sort. Her son, however, is a dork. He becomes our King and I'll be jumping up and down demanding a Republic, not caring what sort, how the Pres gets in or what, just get rid of the twerp who wishes he was a tampon.

I get the sense that the Queen has her head on right, versus Charles is off with the fairies at the bottom of the garden.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:18 AM

3,831 posts, read 4,923,447 times
I think your living in fairy land and ignorance on this issue. You clearly misunderstand it or are one of these pampered rich americans born with a silver spoon who naturally like monarcism because it favours class elitism.. Monarcism promotes inequality ,class division, and in history bloody wars and exploitaion of its peoples wherever monarcies monarchies ruled. The amount of british that are dead due to the madnesses, and ignorances of past British monarchs could fill a book. Actually the Uk itself is sorely in need of reform and many uk citizens would be glad to get rid of the british monarchy and its appendage symbolism the house of lords.

Your lucky the USA is a republic and free of the monarchy garbage and chains and I wish australia also had that same privelege.

You should learn History before saying such inflammatory things about British Monarchy. The Monarchical spirit is deeply ingrained into the British People, it destroyed the Invicible Armada of Charles V, it circumnavigated the Globe (Thomas Cook), conquered India (read Rudyard Kipling), it resisted the French Revolution, Napoleon (alone in Europe in front of the Emperor, have you heard of such figures Wellington and Admiral Nelson?), Germany in WWI (Battle Of Flanders, Battle Of The Buldge), Hitler (alone in Europe in front of The Führer in 1940), as the British were proudly saying "Britannia Rules The Waves", besides, the Queen, as head of the Church Of England, has also a spiritual role...and you would like to throw all that glorious tradition to the dustbin for a Republic of cronies ? no more Union Jack as a flag for Australia , then, a Maple Leaf maybe (no, that symbol is already used by the Canadian flag, I guess it's a Maple Syrup producer who invented that flag -rolfmao-), no, I've got it : a brown wallpaper ,symbolizing the Grand Australian Desert with a red ball in the middle, symbolizing the Aboriginals! or disposed in triangle like the new "Azania" flag?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:43 AM

9,598 posts, read 14,545,910 times
Quote:

Canada still has the Queen as head of state, and I'm unaware of it promoting in Canada any equality, any class division, any recent bloody wars
and since the 1970's with the ending of the practice where aboriginal children were taken from their parents and sent away to boarding schools, any exploitation.

Sure there are some people who pretend to be like British nobility;
their effect on everyone else is almost nil, rather than sensing they are "above" us.

Canada has the option to get rid of the Monarchy, but what for?
We don't see a disadvantage for having the Queen as a "mascot."
That's pretty much all she is to us, and it feels we make up our own rules,
and have it okayed by our internally-nominated Governor-General, (Queens Rep in Canada)
and Govenor Generals have tended to agree with whatever our federal politicians want to do anyways.
(else their nomination could be revoked )

I wish Australia could keep the monarchy,
but with the pleasant-indifference Canadians have for it.
(Imho, Canada is the lucky one, in that respect )

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-15-2010 at 08:57 AM..

Old 03-15-2010, 09:03 PM

24,693 posts, read 15,670,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Canada still has the Queen as head of state, and I'm unaware of it promoting in Canada any equality, any class division, any recent bloody wars
and since the 1970's with the ending of the practice where aboriginal children were taken from their parents and sent away to boarding schools, any exploitation.

their effect on everyone else is almost nil, rather than sensing they are "above" us.

and have it okayed by our internally-nominated Governor-General, (Queens Rep in Canada)
and Govenor Generals have tended to agree with whatever our federal politicians want to do anyways.

Would Canadians be equally complacent if Charles takes over?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Would Canadians be equally complacent if Charles takes over?
Probably.
What do Aussies have against Charles?
He seems a little boring to me.
I would be happy if either of his sons became king though.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:

You should learn History before saying such inflammatory things about British Monarchy. The Monarchical spirit is deeply ingrained into the British People, it destroyed the Invicible Armada of Charles V, it circumnavigated the Globe (Thomas Cook), conquered India (read Rudyard Kipling), it resisted the French Revolution, Napoleon (alone in Europe in front of the Emperor, have you heard of such figures Wellington and Admiral Nelson?), Germany in WWI (Battle Of Flanders, Battle Of The Buldge), Hitler (alone in Europe in front of The Führer in 1940), as the British were proudly saying "Britannia Rules The Waves", besides, the Queen, as head of the Church Of England, has also a spiritual role...and you would like to throw all that glorious tradition to the dustbin for a Republic of cronies ? no more Union Jack as a flag for Australia , then, a Maple Leaf maybe (no, that symbol is already used by the Canadian flag, I guess it's a Maple Syrup producer who invented that flag -rolfmao-), no, I've got it : a brown wallpaper ,symbolizing the Grand Australian Desert with a red ball in the middle, symbolizing the Aboriginals! or disposed in triangle like the new "Azania" flag?

what another load of *******s you have just written. All those british victories your so proud of were victories of the british armies and navies and common british folk .
So while the common british gave there lives in british wars
the british royalty sat smug in there mansions with there servants pouring them tea.
If the Uk want to keep its monarchy then fine but there is no rational purpose to maintain a connection in australia, new zealand aor Canada to the nonsense.

Australia will never reach maturity until it gets rid of its monarchy chains and changes its flag and other actions.
I myself have ancestry surnames that are accepted nobility names in the Uk but that means garbage to me as a fourth generation australian.
Australia is being prevented from growing by this stupid linkage to british royalty and Britain that does nothing except promote british status. and having a union jack on the Australian and new zealand flag is also laughable, which also mainly promotes british status

I would say the same for new zealand that it needs to also change its flag and amend its constitution.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:

you misunderstood my post. I was reffering to Britain and other european monarchies that caused many horrible deaths and suffering when there powers were uppermost .Britain is a monarchy, canada was a colony of britain. WAS------ yet your still holding onto that inferior status by basically accepting a type of sumbittance to britain by maintaining a monarch linkage to the Uk .And you should think again if you think canada does not have a class system also though nowhere near as bad as the UK where it is well defined

Quote:

But Canada has canadians mate not british citizens living in Canada, so Canada needs to also reach its maturity by removing all its monarchy connection as well
Canada is one step ahead of Australia and new zealand they have no union jack or british flag branded on there national flag, in that way Canada is the lucky one

Old 03-16-2010, 07:39 AM

3,831 posts, read 4,923,447 times
It seems our friend aspurr has some issues with the British Throne, maybe he was turned down by Diana (lol)?
As for me , my honour means fidelity -fidelity to my family roots-
my granddad (an old bastard, who believed in "English Punishment" to educate boys-flogging-didn I hate him back then in my salad days-but it gave better results than what passes today for "education") was an Honourable member of a posh Anglo-French Private Club, the Jockey Club.
You revolutionaries only want to destroy the Treasures of culture and wealth generations of people have patiently created during centuries of History through courage, sweat, tears, and hard work, and Faith, you are Nihilistic, like Dostoyevsky's Raskolnikov. You should be proud of that, instead of hating your own roots.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspurr View Post
you misunderstood my post. I was reffering to Britain and other european monarchies that caused many horrible deaths and suffering when there powers were uppermost .Britain is a monarchy, canada was a colony of britain. WAS------ yet your still holding onto that inferior status by basically accepting a type of sumbittance to britain by maintaining a monarch linkage to the Uk .And you should think again if you think canada does not have a class system also though nowhere near as bad as the UK where it is well defined

But Canada has canadians mate not british citizens living in Canada, so Canada needs to also reach its maturity by removing all its monarchy connection as well
Canada is one step ahead of Australia and new zealand they have no union jack or british flag branded on there national flag, in that way Canada is the lucky one
We don't consider it inferior...
then again we never had a past that England wanted to make us ashamed of..
We have no "cultural cringe" and nothing remotely close to compare it to.
If anything, England has mostly done us favours in the past,
and keeping the Queen on our money reminds some of the improvements
they've made to our harsh, otherwise relatively-barren land.

I'm not saying Canada doesn't have a "class system"; even the USA does.
What I'm saying is ours doesn't feel linked to England.

So we should remove the monarchy from our government because it upsets Australians? This makes us "immature?"
Yes, Australia change your flag, (if it matters that much ) and in a few generations I don't think anyone will worry about the monarchy.
Our national flag changed 14 years before I was born, and from my perspective,
the only thing the Union Jack and monarchy represents in Canada is history.

My parents grew up singing God Save The Queen in school
and they consider our former stronger ties to England as a positive.
I even know some Canadians who wish Canada had never changed.

Imho, if Canada was motivated to remove the monarchy, then that would show we are even more wannabe-American.

Australia was never attacked by the USA either.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 03-16-2010 at 09:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand