Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 09:53 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,869,561 times

Advertisements

...moreover, on the "new" Canadian flag, if the first vertical stripe was blue, that would give...the French flag.
Food for tought...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 10:21 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
The Red Ensign IMHO was magnificent,and much more meaningful than the ridiculous Maple Leaf.
But that's human nature : people need constant "change" (hmmmm..reminds me of the motto of some Presidential campaign...)
I read that it was considered divisive (sp?) among the French Canadians and new non-UK/non-European immigrants.

I agree, Red Ensign was a lot more meaningful.
When I saw it, that shade of red reminded me of the famous "British Red Coats."
But I suppose they wanted to move away from a flag without colonial ties.

At least the Maple Leaf has always been a symbol of Canada... though it wasn't always red
I think the provincial flag of Ontario has green maple leaves.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:13 PM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
Here is an interesting piece of history for you Coldy

Before the 1953 flag act. Australia really had two Flags, the red and blue ensign versions. Although the blue ensign was supposed to be used for official Government duties only. The red civilian flag was much more popular in use before WW2. The New 1927 Parliament house opened with the red ensign. Mawsons flag in Antarctica was red. As well as 9 in every 10 WW2 Flags was the red ensign design. So really in 1950 Canada's and Australia's flag designs where really very much alike
Very interesting.

Note that nine of the ten Canadian provincial flags (except Quebec of course) have some type of imagery on them referring back to the UK.

And one of the three territorial flags (Yukon) has the cross of St. George representing England on it. The other two territorial flags (Nunavut and Northwest Territories) have no visual markers related to the UK.

http://canada.gc.ca/othergov-autregouv/prov-eng.html

Old 03-20-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
...moreover, on the "new" Canadian flag, if the first vertical stripe was blue, that would give...the French flag.
Food for tought...
This conspiracy theory is way off base. The new flag was brought in by Prime Minister Lester Bowles Pearson from Ontario, who had earlier given the world the idea of using soldiers for peace, now the UN Peacekeeping Program.

As for the new Canadian flag, it was made red chiefly because red was the colour of Pearson's political party, the Liberal Party of Canada.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post

If I was to include our present,
then Canada has a HUGE Muslim community,
bigger (or at least more influencial) than those practicing Catholicism.
Do you actually think that the 600,000 Muslims in Canada at the moment have more influence than the 15 million Catholics (even if a lot of them are lapsed or passive practitioners)?

Old 03-20-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Do you actually think that the 600,000 Muslims in Canada at the moment have more influence than the 15 million Catholics (even if a lot of them are lapsed or passive practitioners)?
15 million Catholics in Canada?
"Seems" 80+% of all non-immigrants in my part of Canada have no religious affiliations
and all of the people I worked with, even when I was sent to work in various parts of the Prairies.
But isn't this irrelevant to a debate about Australia keeping the monarchy?

I only brought up what Canadian views are of the monarchy because we share a lot of similarites with Austalia
in government, politics, "independence", maybe settlement and we both have the Queen on our money.

Old 03-20-2010, 09:01 PM

Quote:
"Seems" 80+% of all non-immigrants in my part of Canada have no religious affiliations
and all of the people I worked with, even when I was sent to work in various parts of the Prairies.

I only brought up what Canadian views are of the monarchy because we share a lot of similarites with Austalia
in government, politics, "independence", maybe settlement and we both have the Queen on our money.
You`re right that this is all somewhat off-topic.

But still, one should never make the mistake of confusing one`s personal entourage with wider society...

Old 03-20-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You`re right that this is all somewhat off-topic.

But still, one should never make the mistake of confusing one`s personal entourage with wider society...
Well your point about there being 15 million Catholics in Canada and our population is near 40 million should mean there's a heck of a lot of Catholic people around. But of the dozens of people I've worked with long enough to get a feel for their personality, the bulk of them were "ordinary white Canadians," there was only one or two that ever mentioned attending Catholic church, or Catholic church-related activities.

By contrast, a majority of people I've met who are muslim either say they are, or their behaviour leads one to believe they are muslim. So people of the muslim faith (both men and women) are among the most visible of all groups, in terms of numbers of people who appear religious or say they are religious. Influence? I believe that at my college the specificly built "Prayer Rooms" were for muslim students. (mats on the floor and a poster of Mecca) I also believe people of the muslim faith are the only group that caused a debate on how much of a women's face should we see on a passport or driver's licence.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:09 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:

More than a quarter of Canadians live in Quebec, of which over 90% are nominally Catholic. Outside Quebec Canada is probably as Catholic as Australia is.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
The Red Ensign IMHO was magnificent,and much more meaningful than the ridiculous Maple Leaf.
But that's human nature : people need constant "change" (hmmmm..reminds me of the motto of some Presidential campaign...)
You sound like a real colonialist. The Maple Leaf is a much better design than the Red Ensign, which looks like another state flag to me. The Maple Leaf is bold, distinct, recogniseable, and reflects Canada's natural beauty .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand