Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 08:43 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

Snow would be great, but I think not having to bundle up in layers is a good compromise.

Speaking of snow, more proper mountains would be great! One thing the Kiwis always hold over our heads is the fact they have proper mountains (doesn't keep 'em from streaming over here, though!). Especially out West.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 09:25 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
A nice large natural inland lake (thats normally full of water) would be nice.

Comprehensive underground Metro Systems in the large cities.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:52 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,798,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
- more competitive grocery prices
- commercial free TV (although not sure it would be funded ;-))
-I'd love that
-Even Canada doesn't have that

Quote:
- a sizeable city (at least 2m) located on the NW coast, for hot sunny climate lovers such as myself
Pilbourne?

Old 03-18-2010, 01:20 AM

656 posts, read 2,741,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurenaus View Post
more attractions (like six flags magic mountain) haha
Agreed, In Perth we really have nothing. (Adventure World is to small to count) So its a 4000 km drive to the Gold Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
Definitely more snow so you can live where snow is part of your normal winter. At the moment you need to go to the ski resorts to see any substantial snow, but the lower elevations don't get much and it doesn't stay around.
Worst in the West, Again another 4000 km drive to the closest Ski Resort

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukuicake View Post
Iced Tea as it is available in cafe's, fast food etc.. in the U.S.

After a couple decades of living here that is now the only thing I miss.
Yeah I think we have often talked about this topic in this Forum. Food often missed from overseas like Good Mexican Restaurants are often discussed if I recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Free refills on soda and coffee.
That would be nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
What I think Australia is missing:

- A thrilling water park (like the one at the Gold Coast) located in a hot climate.
Alice Springs or Darwin would be great, but Cairns would do.

- Tropical seas free of box jellyfish

- Surfing beaches on the north coast

- Saltwater crocs with the temperment of American alligators (placid enough Steve Irwin would swim after them )

- Better control of bush flies

- Well-insulated homes, prefereably at least as insulated as homes in the Carolinas
Tropical seas minus the jellyfish, is a good one. As is mentioning the Bush flies problem
There's No surf in the North ? Gee Coldy you know more about this country than I do. I will have to look that one up. Does Carnarvon get surf ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
because I'm a geek ...

better internet speeds that don't cost the earth

cheaper travel between states - so that more Australians can see more of their own country
Agreed with both

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Rain
An Obvious one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
- more competitive grocery prices
- commercial free TV (although not sure it would be funded ;-))
- a sizeable city (at least 2m) located on the NW coast, for hot sunny climate lovers such as myself
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Snow would be great, but I think not having to bundle up in layers is a good compromise.

Speaking of snow, more proper mountains would be great! One thing the Kiwis always hold over our heads is the fact they have proper mountains (doesn't keep 'em from streaming over here, though!). Especially out West.
Yep Trimac I want the snow but I also don't want the cold!
Plus if we can just get more Kiwi's to come over here Trimac, New Zealand will be just right for invasion...So then I will get the snow I want

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
A nice large natural inland lake (thats normally full of water) would be nice.

Comprehensive underground Metro Systems in the large cities.
Yep, An inland lake would certainly fix our water problem
Sydney could really do with a Comprehensive underground Metro System

Old 03-18-2010, 01:25 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,896,522 times
A proper highway network. Most roads in Australia are equivalent to the the old toilet.

At minimum there should be a fully fledged interstate-style freeway between Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane; Melbourne-Adelaide; and Adelaide-Sydney. And numerous connectors to smaller towns. Victoria has done relatively well in this regard, but some sections of these dual carriageway roads are terrible with uneven pavement, intersections, property access etc. This problem can be found on almost every major highway just outside of Melbourne, where the road is much crappier than sections out in whoop whoop!

Old 03-18-2010, 02:14 AM

656 posts, read 2,741,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
A proper highway network. Most roads in Australia are equivalent to the the old toilet.

At minimum there should be a fully fledged interstate-style freeway between Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane; Melbourne-Adelaide; and Adelaide-Sydney. And numerous connectors to smaller towns. Victoria has done relatively well in this regard, but some sections of these dual carriageway roads are terrible with uneven pavement, intersections, property access etc. This problem can be found on almost every major highway just outside of Melbourne, where the road is much crappier than sections out in whoop whoop!
Yes we need interstate-style freeway connections badly

I got a friend who is doing the whole 'Around Australia Motorhome Trip'
He showed me a Map of the way he was going to travel. I really couldn't
believe how much of this country is not DIRECTLY connected

This is this country's interstate system. I added NEW yellow lines to this map because I think these roads should exist. Direct from Broome to Kunnunurra, Kalgoorlie to Alice Springs (Going past Ayers Rock), Darwin to Cairns. This way you would be able to travel directly to points of interest when you did that BIG TRIP

On another subject. This country really needs to start developing a HIGH SPEED RAIL network. I know its not viable between the major cities (High cost because of the distances) But Brisbane to Gold Coast, Newcastle to Sydney to Wollongong should be looked into

Old 03-18-2010, 03:19 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,896,522 times
To be fair though, the outback is never going to need a network of highways as there is absolute bloody nothing out there! But as I said, the major cities on the east coast should be linked by proper freeway standard roads - with speed limits of atleast 130km/h.

A high speed train from Melbourne thru to Canberra-Sydney-Brisbane would be nice, but the issue I think is that it is faster and cheaper to go by plane due to the large distances involved. It's not like Europe where many major cities are seperated by only 200-300km (with numerous large towns in between) which would make a high speed train much more economical than flying.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:31 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,729,991 times
Someone mentioned water, more rain etc.
A huge, inland freshwater lake system would open up Central Australia.
Have a look at the areas around the SA-NT-WA borders, virtually no one lives there.
Australia also lacks a mega-city (over 10 million), and could do with more cities in the 1-2.5 million category.
Eventually the Gold Coast will head into this category, Newcastle as well.
Decentralisation doesn't work.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:06 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,436 times
A national highway (ie Bruce Highway) that doesn't turn into a goat track in the wet season. While we're at it, two lanes in each direction (to reduce the road fatality). Of course, nevah happen.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:09 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post

Have you driven the interstate routes yourself? I've driven many of the state and national highways in Australia on my round 'Oz trip, and have to say almost all were actually up to a very high standard. The Bruce Highway is a bit of a problem, though. The Hume is great, though, there are like even McDonalds in the middle of the bush!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand