Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:19 PM

253 posts, read 794,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Well knowing you want to go to Oz for a visit might mean other members will give you more helpful advice.
Myself, the land and climate of Florida is agreeable enough to make up for the blandness and annoyances,
if it was an option for me to live and work there.

Well actually "liking cold" will go a long way at keeping you happy in winter here.
I hate it, but I have no problems surviving it.

If you like cold, perhaps you might want to check out Melbourne and Hobart.
As far as Perth goes, the main attraction there is the beach and sunny weather; probably not the ideal place for someone tired of Florida's blandness.
Ok. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 03:00 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I often hear Americanization being blamed for anything bad in Australian society but I think most, if not all, of the bad aspects of our society, is purely due to our own culture. But hey, it's trendy to blame someone else these days, isn't it?
Australians have complained about Americanisation since before federation.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:58 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
A lot of Canadians and (probably) Americans hate "Americanisation" in terms of big-business, corporations etc.

I heard rumours that before Hollywood started making movies, there was no "Standard American" accent,
"proper" American or most-common accent; it was just the one that the movie producers liked, so they used it a lot.
That could be Americanisation helping to kill regional character.

But hating Americanisation and hating Americans are two entirely different ideas, imho.
Like if I get the evil-eye for saying something like "tum-ate-o."

I like how on a lot of BBC programmes that they often have characters with accents from different parts of the UK living together, for no apparent reason.
Too bad Hollywood isn't usually like that; using characters with regional accents without the purpose of showing a stereotype.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 04-06-2010 at 07:08 AM..

Old 04-06-2010, 07:06 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
They don't force their "americanisation" on us. It's obviously very appealing. We willingly gobble it up whether it's food, clothing, mannerisms, slang, music, movies, tv shows, etc., etc. It's not like it's the only choice. Probably where a lot of the anti-US sentiments come from - they invent all sorts of really cool stuff, that we want, yet feel envy because it wasn't us who came up with the really cool stuff in the first place.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
They don't force their "americanisation" on us. It's obviously very appealing. We willingly gobble it up whether it's food, clothing, mannerisms, slang, music, movies, tv shows, etc., etc. It's not like it's the only choice. Probably where a lot of the anti-US sentiments come from - they invent all sorts of really cool stuff, that we want, yet feel envy because it wasn't us who came up with the really cool stuff in the first place.
I don't know if you've noticed kids and teens calling each other 'dude' and 'douchebag', and their accent actually sounding more American too. I even heard some 14-15 year olds saying 'sher' instead of 'sure' the other day, a bit of a worry I think!

Old 04-06-2010, 09:38 AM

53 posts, read 108,388 times
I'm in Florida right now too....and after living in this state for over 1 year, it is a dead, dead state.
I applied to move to aussie (also all my family lives there).

Old 12-23-2010, 09:50 AM

8 posts, read 38,683 times
Default Americans move back because...

Generally they are finished with their biz. Typically I spend less than a year at at time in Sydney. When my biz (advertising) is complete I return to the States. The UK and American travelers who return to their respective countries after a couple of years are mostly just dreamers trying to find themselves. I've seen Londoner's condemn the country simply because they could not fit in. They are the countries biggest enemy. Simply put: "You have to love the country from coast to coast and, love the Aussies themselves to manage here". The most widely recognized negative is the lack of jobs.

Old 12-24-2010, 04:03 PM

121 posts, read 244,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneToAU View Post
I can't imagine wanting to move back to the US! I am an American living on the Sunshine Coast for the last two years and have never encountered any anti-american attitudes. One of my sons has gotten the occasional "yee-haw" taunt at school though but he actually thinks it's kind of funny.

As far as going back to the US, we have no desire. We have lived in CA and FL and feel that AU has so much more going for it. Our kids are experiencing a much better quality of life (and education) here as well. In general, they enjoy freedoms that no longer exist in the US due to safety. We also feel that there is a much better sense of community in AU (at least where we live) and meet many people with whom we have something in common. In the US this is not the case; we tended to live a very isolated, within our own family type of life as did most of our neighbors.

Visiting the US has no appeal at this point much less moving back (although my mother-in-law is moving here from the US so I guess that could be just the thing to send me packing...maybe just to the other side of AU though).
I completely agree with your response here.

As much as I love the US (and I've been there on many occasions), I'm still of the opinion that, overall, the quality of life in Australia is alot better for families; particularly with the things that really matter at the grassroots level such as healthcare/well-being, education, social infrastructure, welfare, housing etc etc....and it's more accessible to those who need it.

The divide between the "haves" and "have-nots" are not so great as to divide a community...where else in the world would a plumber earn more than a doctor?

As for the "anti-American attitude", take it for what it is - just Aussies being larrikins. It's not as if Americans in Australia are being declined access to education, welfare, healthcare, job promotion etc etc because of their racial background. If anything, many of our senior positions, particularly in healthcare, are taken up by Americans!

As Australians, we take ALOT of things for granted....that is, until we travel the world.

Old 12-30-2010, 04:26 PM

112 posts, read 363,375 times
The comments I love is "well back home" Dont compare your home country (wherever that is including Oz) to the one you are visiting! If you so love the way you do things in your home country and are not open to new experiences in other countries then do everyone else a favour and dont get a passport!!! Stay where you are!!! I find the best experiences in life is to be open for new experiences!!! It is not just Americans that do this its people from any country! Also when I have told some people about my plans to move to the states I have not had one negative comment. Mostly why I want to move to the states and when I explain they completely understand. Im looking forward in moving to the US and sharing some Australiana with my new friends (esp vegemite sandwiches - vegemite sandwiches for everyone!!)

Old 01-07-2011, 09:34 AM

8 posts, read 38,683 times
I'm in Florida right now too....and after living in this state for over 1 year, it is a dead, dead state.
I applied to move to aussie (also all my family lives there).
__________________________________________________ ________________________

Again...one person's comparison. Florida has one item many other eastern US states and other English speaking countries don't have, "~Land~" You can buy an acre with a mid sized house on the cheap there. And, that's the draw! Typically they get the oceanic people who need nothing more in life than to live on the coast, they are the happy ones. Most of Florida's newbies are from New York and New Jersey, for whatever reason these people love it there. If you are seeking something more than a slowed down coastal lifestyle then this state is not for you. With a notable exception to Orlando and Miami. The US eastern coastal zone that now draws most young professionals is Coastal Carolina. The people are extremely tolerable of foreigners with accents. Wilmington NC may one day surpass Hollywood as the US film capital. Myrtle Beach, Carolina Beach, and Virginia Beach are booming. No recession in these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand