Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 07:50 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfr88 View Post
Nice come back
Well, I tend to ignore posts containing attempted insult I only have so much time and US threads are much more interesting to me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 08:09 AM

42 posts, read 59,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, I tend to ignore posts containing attempted insult I only have so much time and US threads are much more interesting to me
Well off you go then ...be gone with your hypocrisy and insolence.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:15 PM

790 posts, read 1,733,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I guess you don't know what racism actually means. I am white myself and have no problem with that. But that does not prevent me from acknowledging that other people of my race have done lots of bad things throughout history.
"I have a friend from X therefore I'm not racist!"
Seriously, grow up. I have never denied anything about the past historical wrongs upon which Australia was founded.

Old 04-14-2010, 06:46 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,111,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnf16 View Post
Well i found this topic extremely interesting so i created an account to discuss my situation.
Im a hispanic of mixed ancestry (non-white) living in Latinamerica (Third World country) and currenty studying at a privately funded university. Ive been planning to finish my studies or getting a master's degree in Australia. One of the reasons for this is because I have always wanted to visit your country and because a good friend of mine is studying there already.

I dont know what aussies think of hispanics as a whole, but let me speak for my self, im not poor or uneducated. I can speak 3 languages (spanish, fench and english), and im only 20.
I know many of your foreign citizens and students (indians for example) have been physically and verbally abused for being different. And lets be honest, theyre not there for the welfare .
So how am i unfit for your society?
Indians have not been targeted as such.
They haven't been abused for being foriegn students or being indian. They have been in some incidents, they weren;t bashed for being Indian. There were even opportunistic people who claimed their car was burnt in a racial attack. Turns out he was trying to do an insurance job on his car (burnt it himself ) and got burnt in the process. It was a media beat up.

Honestly, I don't think generally Aussies think much of any race as a whole. Most people's point of view is on their personal experience. I, for one love learning about South America & have friends who were born in Chile & Mexico living here. They haven't had any issues that I know of.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:18 PM

121 posts, read 244,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnf16 View Post
Well i found this topic extremely interesting so i created an account to discuss my situation.
Im a hispanic of mixed ancestry (non-white) living in Latinamerica (Third World country) and currenty studying at a privately funded university. Ive been planning to finish my studies or getting a master's degree in Australia. One of the reasons for this is because I have always wanted to visit your country and because a good friend of mine is studying there already.

I dont know what aussies think of hispanics as a whole, but let me speak for my self, im not poor or uneducated. I can speak 3 languages (spanish, fench and english), and im only 20.
I know many of your foreign citizens and students (indians for example) have been physically and verbally abused for being different. And lets be honest, theyre not there for the welfare .
So how am i unfit for your society?
We have a large hispanics population in Australia and they have integrated well - hardworking and well-educated citizens...ALOT of my ex-school friends are of hispanics background

The media reports of Indian students being abused have not been accurate and well-balanced. They certainly have not been corrected in overseas' press. I doubt if the following story have ever been furnished in overseas' press to correct the balance.

Burned Indian 'faked attack to claim insurance' | Jaspreet Singh

You will NOT encounter any problems in this country based on your cultural, social, economical or political background. Admittedly, you probably wouldn't stand out (unless you want to burn yourself and claim insurance money )

Old 04-14-2010, 07:44 PM

790 posts, read 1,733,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
Indians have not been targeted as such.
They haven't been abused for being foriegn students or being indian. They have been in some incidents, they weren;t bashed for being Indian. There were even opportunistic people who claimed their car was burnt in a racial attack. Turns out he was trying to do an insurance job on his car (burnt it himself ) and got burnt in the process. It was a media beat up.
I think it would be a bit naive to claim that absolutely none were attacked for being Indian. After all, all it takes is one person to dislike Indian people enough to commit the crime. The problem with racial attacks is that it's difficult to confirm or deny, something the Indian media couldn't comprehend.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
I think it would be a bit naive to claim that absolutely none were attacked for being Indian. After all, all it takes is one person to dislike Indian people enough to commit the crime. The problem with racial attacks is that it's difficult to confirm or deny, something the Indian media couldn't comprehend.
Possibly some were. I was referring to the three big ones (the murder at Hungry Jacks, the arson & the fruit picker who was actually attacked by another Indian national) weren't for "being indian".

that self-appointed leader of Indian community did nothing in favour of their cause either. Looks like they got him to shut up ... which is good.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:07 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,727,605 times
There are some Australians who go around "curry-bashing", as they put it. Disgusting. But overall, our problem is not racism but general lack of law and order. Few cops on the streets. Excessive drinking. Lax justice. Everyone is at risk here from the ferals who confidently do what they do knowing there are few consequences. The public is disarmed and has "justice" come down harder on them if they get a bit vigilante than on the scum who victimise them. For the most part, racism here is isolated to words.

Sticks and stones .....

Old 04-15-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
There are some Australians who go around "curry-bashing", as they put it. Disgusting. But overall, our problem is not racism but general lack of law and order. Few cops on the streets. Excessive drinking. Lax justice. Everyone is at risk here from the ferals who confidently do what they do knowing there are few consequences. The public is disarmed and has "justice" come down harder on them if they get a bit vigilante than on the scum who victimise them. For the most part, racism here is isolated to words.

Sticks and stones .....
This, is a problem. It seems like there just aren't enough police presence o the streets (especially over the weekends) and they're even less visible in Sydney.

Funny the spiraling violence in Melbourne isn't making the papers lately too.

Old 04-15-2010, 08:28 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeldew View Post
We have a large hispanics population in Australia and they have integrated well - hardworking and well-educated citizens...ALOT of my ex-school friends are of hispanics background

The media reports of Indian students being abused have not been accurate and well-balanced. They certainly have not been corrected in overseas' press. I doubt if the following story have ever been furnished in overseas' press to correct the balance.

Burned Indian 'faked attack to claim insurance' | Jaspreet Singh

You will NOT encounter any problems in this country based on your cultural, social, economical or political background. Admittedly, you probably wouldn't stand out (unless you want to burn yourself and claim insurance money )
Where are all the Hispanics hiding out? Lol, compared to other groups Hispanics are a minority, maybe they're concentrated in some certain areas. I've met two Hispanic Australians (and I've met Aussies from all backgrounds) - Mexican and Ecuadorian - and I find the culture really interesting. No I don't think you'll have much problem. I've also met quite a few South American tourists and they seem cool too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand