Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2010, 10:28 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,711,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Where are all the Hispanics hiding out? Lol, compared to other groups Hispanics are a minority, maybe they're concentrated in some certain areas. I've met two Hispanic Australians (and I've met Aussies from all backgrounds) - Mexican and Ecuadorian - and I find the culture really interesting. No I don't think you'll have much problem. I've also met quite a few South American tourists and they seem cool too.
Probably all over in Sydney and Melbourne. Perth's very white bread, as you know.

Chilean friend of mine says Chileans are the biggest group of Latin Americans in Oz. His family came here in the 70's after a military coup there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 10:32 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,075,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Probably all over in Sydney and Melbourne. Perth's very white bread, as you know.

Chilean friend of mine says Chileans are the biggest group of Latin Americans in Oz. His family came here in the 70's after a military coup there.
There are a few in Melbourne (Johnston St has a few resturants / clubs)

Personally, I wouldn't say it is large (haven't looked at any data) but yes, there are a few.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:41 PM

16 posts, read 34,960 times
I've done my research, there are less hispanics then aboriginals living Down Under. This can't be good

Australia's smallest minority?

Old 04-20-2010, 03:00 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnf16 View Post
I've done my research, there are less hispanics then aboriginals living Down Under. This can't be good

Australia's smallest minority?
Why no good? Aborigines are the natives of this land it's logically there should be more aborigines than hispanics.

I think if anything it's the larger groups - Asians, for instance, that get picked on more. People would probably view you more with curiosity than anything else.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:10 AM

512 posts, read 1,180,736 times
any Europeans emigrate to Australia nowadays..?

Old 04-20-2010, 03:57 AM

42 posts, read 59,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
Yeah, but doesn't seem like it these days since so many Indians, Chinese, etc are coming here.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Brits only, really, but they're still the largest single group. They don't stand out so much because they look like 'Australians' don't they so they assimilate more.

In parts of Perth they outnumber the Aussies.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:22 PM

14,771 posts, read 17,075,240 times
Quote:
Yes, people from the UK still come in large numbers and are still our largest immigrant group.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:14 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,884,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfr88 View Post
Yeah, but doesn't seem like it these days since so many Indians, Chinese, etc are coming here.
And way too many at that. I'm getting sick of being a minority on the train in my own formerly white country. Infact, the entire distance of the train line between Hallam and Oakleigh is nothing but asian/indian/sudanese ghettos and the rate of crime reflects this. And the general dirtyness of the place. It is one of the highest anywhere in Melbourne.

Quote:
UNfortunately no. Spend a day in downtown Melbourne and you'd think you were in Shanghai or Calcutta If you want to migrate to Australia, you need to satisfy the following criteria: You must be either asian or indian, with 10,000 kids, you must arrive on a rickity old boat from whence you'll be plucked from the sea by our own Chinese Mr Sheen and given your own free home and welfare payments courtesy of us hard working citizens and taxpayers.

Last edited by §AB; 04-21-2010 at 05:22 AM..

Old 04-21-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
And way too many at that. I'm getting sick of being a minority on the train in my own formerly white country. Infact, the entire distance of the train line between Hallam and Oakleigh is nothing but asian/indian/sudanese ghettos and the rate of crime reflects this. And the general dirtyness of the place. It is one of the highest anywhere in Melbourne.

UNfortunately no. Spend a day in downtown Melbourne and you'd think you were in Shanghai or Calcutta If you want to migrate to Australia, you need to satisfy the following criteria: You must be either asian or indian, with 10,000 kids, you must arrive on a rickity old boat from whence you'll be plucked from the sea by our own Chinese Mr Sheen and given your own free home and welfare payments courtesy of us hard working citizens and taxpayers.
It's not really representative of the population, many of those are uni students who are only even here for a few years. Same goes for all the Asians you see in the CBD. Most will just come here contribute to our economy and get some skills they can use in their home country in return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand