Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:58 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,889 times

Advertisements

Do you have a lot of Americans migrating? We have a lot of Aussies coming here. Just courious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 10:34 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Do you have a lot of Americans migrating? We have a lot of Aussies coming here. Just courious.
I was curious too, so I googled some stats quickly. Just over 100k Aussies in the US and about 62k Americans in Oz.

Most Americans I meet here are in Oz temporarily for oil and gas jobs, often based out of Houston. Lots are living the expat life: Texas, Louisiana, Malaysia, Australia, etc. I know a few who are here permanently, all of them married to Australians.

It's probably a similar situation for the Aussies in the US - they go there for love and for work.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:36 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,018,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I was curious too, so I googled some stats quickly. Just over 100k Aussies in the US and about 62k Americans in Oz.

Most Americans I meet here are in Oz temporarily for oil and gas jobs, often based out of Houston. Lots are living the expat life: Texas, Louisiana, Malaysia, Australia, etc. I know a few who are here permanently, all of them married to Australians.

It's probably a similar situation for the Aussies in the US - they go there for love and for work.
and one of the government stats i read said about 70% of Americans that migrate to Oz move back to the States once they get a taste of life in a country with high cost of living, high taxes and lower wages... LOL..

Old 04-24-2010, 10:54 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
and one of the government stats i read said about 70% of Americans that migrate to Oz move back to the States once they get a taste of life in a country with high cost of living, high taxes and lower wages... LOL..
Was just talking to an American/Canadian expat couple, in the oil industry, here for 2 years. She said she was shocked at the prices, especially of food - groceries and restaurants. She said she didn't know how people did it, on Aussie wages. They're lucky, as the company pays their $800/wk rental, company car, and COL allowance. Still, she says she has to watch her spending and often orders clothes and shoes from the US.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:22 AM

512 posts, read 1,183,815 times
Quote:
Again, I'm still not allowed to rep you again.

There is also a fair bit of discrimination in Poland as well. In WWII they were not the most protective of their Jewish citizenry. And I had no idea there were so many Vietnamese in Poland:
Disappearing in the crowd: Vietnamese immigrants in Poland

the things you learn when you google.

Hey, I have lived in the US for 4 yrs and talked to people, my father moved there 24 yrs ago so I know about discrimination also from his stories. The same pertains to Canada, my friend lives in Toronto and he says that there were many people who couldn't stand Poles not more than 5 years ago and Poles used to be insulted and sometimes attacked by Canadians...

what about killing a Polish immigrant at the airport in Canada by the security -->
YouTube - Raw video: Polish man dies after tasered at Canada airport
after which Canada lifted visas for Poles.

Would they do this to Canada's citizen?

BTW: Poland is becoming a good place to live now, thankfully people don't need to emigrate anymore..

Old 04-25-2010, 11:38 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,997 times
Quote:
All three are which entirely the fault of the labor government. I wish they would die and go to hell.

Old 04-25-2010, 11:39 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,897,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Was just talking to an American/Canadian expat couple, in the oil industry, here for 2 years. She said she was shocked at the prices, especially of food - groceries and restaurants. She said she didn't know how people did it, on Aussie wages. They're lucky, as the company pays their $800/wk rental, company car, and COL allowance. Still, she says she has to watch her spending and often orders clothes and shoes from the US.
I don't know how we do it.

I'm surprised that we don't have more people living under a bridge.

Old 04-25-2010, 04:31 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
Hey, I have lived in the US for 4 yrs and talked to people, my father moved there 24 yrs ago so I know about discrimination also from his stories. The same pertains to Canada, my friend lives in Toronto and he says that there were many people who couldn't stand Poles not more than 5 years ago and Poles used to be insulted and sometimes attacked by Canadians...

what about killing a Polish immigrant at the airport in Canada by the security -->
YouTube - Raw video: Polish man dies after tasered at Canada airport
after which Canada lifted visas for Poles.

Would they do this to Canada's citizen?

BTW: Poland is becoming a good place to live now, thankfully people don't need to emigrate anymore..
5 years ago Poles being attacked and insulted in GTA?
I am unaware of what you are talking about through my own experiences here. :dubious"

Bizarre story.

If he was a Canadian immigrant:
-why was he digruntled?
-why did he resist arrest until unconsciousness?
-why did he refuse to answer to authorities in either English or French?
Sure he has every right to do those, but none of them seem like a wise choice, and normal people would "act nicer" at least for authorities.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:03 PM

295 posts, read 320,465 times
Why is it, that the NON-NATIVES destroy????

My conclusion, they never took care of their own home, so why take of the others! I have and will never have nothing against Africans in America, the white man brought them here and as for me I have never had any confrontation with Black Americans, we are all brothers here!

I have southern American roots so the flag becomes the issue, not the people!

Old 04-25-2010, 06:49 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars&bars View Post
Why is it, that the NON-NATIVES destroy????
Often native born people do a lot of cultural damage too.
(not to mention threads about "posh accents" which have an element of cultural-cringe)

Immigrants aren't the reason why Christmas celebrations in public have been minimized in recent decades in North America; mostly "home-grown" people with their own notions of "tolerance." Many of the non-Christian immigrants themselves came from nations that were very-intolerant toward minority-vies, so most immigrants probably would have "gone with the flow" if we had not curbed our festive-spirit. Like if I were working in Saudi Arabia or Egypt, I would keep pretty quiet about their Muslim traditions; accepting it's a nation of different beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand