Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:00 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

When you put it like that it does sound alot, but you're still below the UK and well below the US. What's causing it anyway? With such low stats a couple of gang wars in a 'ghetto' area can really skew the stats, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 05:01 AM

It's also typical of the media to make things sound as bad as they can possibly be. That's what they are, after all, just column fillers. NZ is a long, long way from being in the league of dangerous countries.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:39 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard7666 View Post
Well I've lived here 22 years and haven't been murdered once!

Murder rate could be reduced by 80% if South Auckland was cast into the ocean.
Probably that would be the case.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
When you put it like that it does sound alot, but you're still below the UK and well below the US. What's causing it anyway? With such low stats a couple of gang wars in a 'ghetto' area can really skew the stats, too.
Well unfortunately I think it is more than just gang wars over meth in NZ. There is a disturbing trend of minors murdering young girls and tourists plus some other issues.

In my experience, the main issue I see in NZ is alcohol fueled violence and I think you do have to keep your wits about you if you are out late. I've had some problems in downtown Christchurch for instance.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:35 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,260,171 times
Downtown Christchurch has changed considerably over the years, mostly for the worse. It seldom had issues in the 1970s and 1980s. When I was last back, it felt unsafe walking around the city streets at night.

I think there are a whole bunch of issues - drugs, gangs increase in homelessness etc etc. Although NZ ranks below the US and UK, the trend is the more disturbing aspect.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Downtown Christchurch has changed considerably over the years, mostly for the worse. It seldom had issues in the 1970s and 1980s. When I was last back, it felt unsafe walking around the city streets at night.

I think there are a whole bunch of issues - drugs, gangs increase in homelessness etc etc. Although NZ ranks below the US and UK, the trend is the more disturbing aspect.
That's interesting, I was in Christchurch in 2002 and wouldn't think it would be the dangerous city you say it is.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That's interesting, I was in Christchurch in 2002 and wouldn't think it would be the dangerous city you say it is.
Much has changed since then. One example:

Crime city Christchurch too scary for women | Stuff.co.nz

I go back periodically (my parents live over there) and each time I notice more issues, hear about more violent crime etc. Cathedral Sq and many other inner city areas are nowhere near as safe as they used to be.

I am talking relative sense here of course.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Well unfortunately I think it is more than just gang wars over meth in NZ. There is a disturbing trend of minors murdering young girls and tourists plus some other issues. .
Funny you should mention that, when I told some Kiwi friends we were thinking of doing a bit of a tour around NZ, they said to watch ourselves, that there's been quite a few tourists raped, robbed, beaten and murdered in the past several years. And that you don't hear about it much in the news because they don't want it known. They said to be particularly careful in parks and remote areas. I said that was wise advice for anywhere in the world and that there are tourists coming to grief here in Oz too, but they seemed to insist it was worse in NZ. I wasn't sure what to think, they're nice, down-to-earth people, not paranoid or prone to conspiracy theories.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Funny you should mention that, when I told some Kiwi friends we were thinking of doing a bit of a tour around NZ, they said to watch ourselves, that there's been quite a few tourists raped, robbed, beaten and murdered in the past several years. And that you don't hear about it much in the news because they don't want it known. They said to be particularly careful in parks and remote areas. I said that was wise advice for anywhere in the world and that there are tourists coming to grief here in Oz too, but they seemed to insist it was worse in NZ. I wasn't sure what to think, they're nice, down-to-earth people, not paranoid or prone to conspiracy theories.
Maybe part of the problem is the perception of NZ being low in crime needs to change.

Heard one too many stories about tourists being cleaned out due to them not leaving their vehicles locked, for example

Like anywhere, be careful, exercise caution and watch your stuff! Definitely worth visiting though (esp. as the Kiwi is weak against the Aussie)

Old 03-29-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADGreen View Post
Much has changed since then. One example:

Crime city Christchurch too scary for women | Stuff.co.nz

I go back periodically (my parents live over there) and each time I notice more issues, hear about more violent crime etc. Cathedral Sq and many other inner city areas are nowhere near as safe as they used to be.

I am talking relative sense here of course.
To make a long story short I had some drunken thugs come after me in Cathedral Square after a Crusaders game. I had been advised by my close friend to watch myself around the square as there were frequent problems there and he wasn't wrong.

Just sitting up on my 6th floor apartment last time in ChCh, every Friday and Saturday night it's all the same from 11PM to 3AM, drunks out in the street fighting and carrying on, hoons storming up and down the road and cop cars constantly shooting past with the blue lights going off to the next drama. The main problem area seems to be around the Oxford Terrace bars and nightclubs along the Avon River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand