Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 06:02 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
As an American who spent 17 great days in Australia, I'll give you my 2 cents.

The portion in Australia are WAYYYYYY smaller. The plate and especially the cup size. They do not have a Big Gulp size. There large cup size is in between small and medium here. From what I saw, fast food joints charge for a refill too.

They do not use as much ice as we use. Many places do not even have ice. I went to a KFC in Alice Springs, since they charge for ice I asked for no ice. They advised me they don't have ice....stupid American looking stupid!

They do not have as many flavors as well. Like, Coke, Coke Classic, Diet Coke, Vanilla Coke, Cherry Coke, etc....probably half as many.
Lol, being charged for ice? That's new to me. Maybe cos water is so darn scarce in the desert!

If portions here are 'WAYYYY' smaller that's a bit of a worry, lol. I think portions here are just right for me - not too small or big, just enough to fill me up, drinks are plenty too. Americans must have big appetites!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 06:51 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Lol, being charged for ice? That's new to me. Maybe cos water is so darn scarce in the desert!
That'd be awful - to not have ice in that heat! I'd pay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
If portions here are 'WAYYYY' smaller that's a bit of a worry, lol. I think portions here are just right for me - not too small or big, just enough to fill me up, drinks are plenty too. Americans must have big appetites!
I even find Aussie portions on the big side for me, so I find American portions in some restaurants (some serve bigger portions than others) are almost a turn-off. I don't like seeing a lot of food that's not going to be eaten. That's why my husband and I will do a lot of sharing of meals when we're there, if we see from other diners' plates that it's a restaurant that serves big. We'll share an appetizer and a mains. Even then, we'll often not have room for dessert. We're just not big eaters.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:55 AM

279 posts, read 673,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I even find Aussie portions on the big side for me, so I find American portions in some restaurants (some serve bigger portions than others) are almost a turn-off. I don't like seeing a lot of food that's not going to be eaten. That's why my husband and I will do a lot of sharing of meals when we're there, if we see from other diners' plates that it's a restaurant that serves big. We'll share an appetizer and a mains. Even then, we'll often not have room for dessert. We're just not big eaters.
That's why I take the leftovers as "to go" and eat for another 2 days..

Old 04-08-2010, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minx View Post
That's why I take the leftovers as "to go" and eat for another 2 days..
Which makes eating in the US even better value!

The doggie-bag isn't as big here. And I know of some places that won't give you your leftovers to take home because there's apparently the risk of you getting sick from them and then suing the restaurant.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:25 PM

279 posts, read 673,885 times
Quote:
Which makes eating in the US even better value!

The doggie-bag isn't as big here. And I know of some places that won't give you your leftovers to take home because there's apparently the risk of you getting sick from them and then suing the restaurant.
If you have leftovers they actually ask you if you want to take the rest home. You never have to ask the waiter. It's almost expected. Doggie-bags are excellent value...

Old 04-09-2010, 12:52 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,862,145 times
Quote:
Most places, these days.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
Most places, these days.
We've become such a litigious society, eh? Or one where the concept of personal responsibility is being drummed out of people. So, some people don't store leftovers properly, get sick, and then blame the restaurant? Do we need explicit instructions for every little thing we do in life? I blame the judges. They're the ones who allow this sort of crap to go on. That, and the slaps on the wrist sentences for criminals.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:34 PM

1 posts, read 702 times
Default Indian Restaurant In South Brisbane

Australian food is expensive however some of the restaurants are still offering the best food at affordable prices. I have visited last month in Brisbane. Evening In India restaurant was near to my hotel. I love the food served by them and the service was also great. I also get discounts on my few dishes.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:06 AM

468 posts, read 616,014 times
Australian food has diversified dramatically in the last 30 years. It is far more gastronomical now, even in the rural/small town regions. Cities have an abundance of fine-dining and serve some of the best food/produce in the world. Michelin does not publish a guide in Australia and does not include Australian restaurants in its rating system, but many restaurants here would pack quite a punch if they were recognised in the guide because they are of such a high standard.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:18 AM

468 posts, read 616,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
How does Australia/NZ compare to the US with eating out?

1. Selection is less in terms of the different types of food and restaurants, especially in smaller towns.

2. The cuts of meat are of less quality in general at the same price point you pay in the USA.

3. The high levels of service don't exist. Waitstaff don't like to do much waiting on people down under. Basically if you are lucky in a reasonable amount of time you get your order taken and food delivered and if you want anything else be prepared to get up and get it yourself or tackle the waitress. They also don't like single people dining out it seems. Quite often, as a single I am seated at the largest table in the house I guess to "embarrass" me that I am dining alone or whatever.

4. Tipping is not as common or as expected but usually considering the levels of service, tips are not something given as freely as the USA.

5. Aussies love heatlamps. I remember one night in Cooma about everything on offer had been sitting under a heatlamp for quite some time and it's a sad day when KFC is preferable.

6. One thing that is done well is "chips"(french fries). Somehow the aussies and kiwis do fries quite well and much better than what can be found in the USA on average. You'll have to get used to "tomato sauce" instead of ketchup which is a sweeter, runny substance compared to the thicker American ketchup.

7. Free refills which are bog standard common in the USA are relatively unknown down under.

In terms of how "American" the food is, there is some transference in that there is local variations of burgers and pizzas.

Often when I was renting an apartment, going out to eat down under was pain, so often began to cook at home instead.

Having done so much travel down there I have the lay of the land down pretty well, so next go around I am already aggressively researching and finding good places to eat down under so I can bypass the crap. I already started doing that for my work, since I travel for all my work. Now when going to a city, I find all the well reviewed and good places and make a list and that has worked well. So next time I'll be much more prepared whereas mostly before I winged it and took chances.

I've already been doing some
I don't know where you've been in Australia, but I haven't found any of this to be true, except for the tipping.

Quote:

Lousy Mexican food here.
Not really, you just need to know where to go. Most American tourists will not know where the best Mexican restaurants are because often they are out in the suburbs. For example, there was a Mexican restaurant in Adelaide's northern suburbs that got a write up in the New York Times. For Mexican food from Australia to feature in a New York-based publication, it would have to be pretty darn impressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand