U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 11:45 PM

2,602 posts, read 1,736,086 times
NZ is the kind of place you emigrate from, not immigrate to. The only valid reason to come here from a 1st world country is for the 'lifestyle' (which is virtually limited to hunting, fishing, hiking and binge drinking). The weather is dreary, housing is ludicrously overpriced, pay is low, etc.

The quality of life in NZ is comparable to that of former Soviet states in Eastern Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 07:55 AM

8,137 posts, read 5,337,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
NZ is the kind of place you emigrate from, not immigrate to. The only valid reason to come here from a 1st world country is for the 'lifestyle' (which is virtually limited to hunting, fishing, hiking and binge drinking). The weather is dreary, housing is ludicrously overpriced, pay is low, etc.

The quality of life in NZ is comparable to that of former Soviet states in Eastern Europe.
While I have to agree with you, I have met a number of Americans who have lived in NZ and loved it. I also know many New Zealanders who have traveled extensively and would never live anywhere else.

Everyone has a different perspective. I lived in NZ all my life but as soon as I started working in Australia I knew I could never go back to NZ to work. Now I live in the US and again, I can't imagine going back home and living day to day there.

I always tell people it's a lovely place to visit.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:30 PM

9,694 posts, read 11,698,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
While I have to agree with you, I have met a number of Americans who have lived in NZ and loved it. I also know many New Zealanders who have traveled extensively and would never live anywhere else.

Everyone has a different perspective. I lived in NZ all my life but as soon as I started working in Australia I knew I could never go back to NZ to work. Now I live in the US and again, I can't imagine going back home and living day to day there.

I always tell people it's a lovely place to visit.
The Americans I have known that NZ works for them, all have been very simple people with no big career aspirations that were very outdoor based with hobbies centered around simple outdoor endeavors such as hiking and biking.

I think it's like with any place out there, no one size fits all.

In talking to some kiwi friends lately, some looking overseas, I don't think it's a matter of not liking NZ but more of "OK I have conquered everything here and I need new challenges".

And for a vacation, I think NZ is hard to beat.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:41 PM

84 posts, read 140,327 times
Quote:

Please tell me your post was sarcasm/trolling.

Otherwise, you should perhaps move to Eastern Europe?

Last edited by Richard7666; 04-26-2010 at 11:51 PM..

Old 05-07-2010, 12:30 AM

288 posts, read 343,525 times
I live in Auckland, NZ and it's a nice place to live IMHO.
Positives:
- Nice weather for much of year. Summers are beautiful. Winters are not cold (6-9 degrees celsius) overnight, 12-18 degrees daytime) ...however frequent rain and high humidity make winters seem quite damp.
-Very close proximity to many beaches and bush areas. Beautiful parks. Some islands close by to sail to. Possible to swim and sail in ocean after work in summertime
- Good food with influence other cultures ...particularly Asian
- Easy-going casual culture
- Four weeks annual leave a year plus generous sick leave. High level employee protection. Govt paid accident compensation ( 80% salary until rehabilitated if have an accident at work or in own time. Covers wide range of events, includes sporting/leisure incidents)
- Healthcare provided. Great for major accidents and mishaps.... not so great for those on waiting lists for less severe problems. Free childbirth. Cheapish GP visits and $3 charge for most prescriptions

Negatives:
- High taxation, particularly income tax. Sales tax is 12.5% across the board.
- High cost of living. Housing is expensive. Food/gas/electricity/clothing are all more costly than most places in the US
- Large number of less motivated individuals receiving welfare. Relatively high crime rate for a country that has spent a lot of money on a multitude of welfare programs for several decades.

I have met many happy people who have moved here from the US and Europe ... they mostly seem to like the outdoors and are quite sporty ... hiking and boating types

Old 07-02-2010, 12:01 AM

80 posts, read 74,474 times
Quote:

I too agree with you, there is little to commend it as a place in which to live and work for any length of time.

The OP was asking for sites where they could get a more balanced view of life in NZ and mentioned two examples. That's about the sum of it I'm afraid.

I'd just urge caution when reading anything written on a site that is obviously making money out of immigration - whether it be from selling shipping services or currency conversion.

A lot of the more negative and controversial postings do tend to be removed and people's accounts are suspended. You may be getting a more sanitized view than you're aware of.

Old 07-02-2010, 02:18 AM

'Expat Exposed' isn't so balanced ..... don't know if that is a very good reference.

Had a look....seems full of Brits who:
-didn't do their homework (NZ is a long way from the UK)
-don't have enough money to afford decent housing (NZ is high on unaffordibility - if one can't afford to buy in the UK, then probably won't be able to in NZ either)
-don't have strong skills ( didn't earn much in the UK...then will be much the same in NZ too)

And lost, but not least .... become totally upset when realize that NZ is not little England.
I am gobsmacked when people have a meltdown when they realize that NZ is different to the UK ....about 6 months after arriving, then whine again because they have no money to get back to the UK

Old 07-03-2010, 01:52 AM

80 posts, read 74,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
'Expat Exposed' isn't so balanced ..... don't know if that is a very good reference.

Had a look....seems full of Brits who:
-didn't do their homework (NZ is a long way from the UK)
-don't have enough money to afford decent housing (NZ is high on unaffordibility - if one can't afford to buy in the UK, then probably won't be able to in NZ either)
-don't have strong skills ( didn't earn much in the UK...then will be much the same in NZ too)
That's interesting because when I read it I see a lot of people from India, South Africa, non-English speaking European countries, America, Canada etc. One of the people who set-up the site is an American with Japanese heritage.

A lot of them seem to be highly skilled professionals and having IT, medical, accountancy, media type backgrounds and find the quality of NZ life/work to be worse than in their home countries. No wonder they feel duped.

Quote:
And lost, but not least .... become totally upset when realize that NZ is not little England.
I am gobsmacked when people have a meltdown when they realize that NZ is different to the UK ....about 6 months after arriving, then whine again because they have no money to get back to the UK
Why are people from Canada and India looking for a 'little England' ?

From a recent look at the forum it would seem that an inability to sell property in the current financial downturn is what is holding a lot of them back. Can't say I blame them for feeling p'd off.

I guess the lesson to be learned from their experience is don't invest your money into NZ when you emigrate, keep your property at home so that you've got something to go back to.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:22 AM

Well, beg to differ....the most negative and frequent posts are from inadequately prepared Brits.
There are Americans as well who didn't research and prepare well.

NZ is a small country with a very small population a long way from anywhere ....right away this should provide info about likely costs for goods and services
It should also hint at the possibility of the place being a bit parochial.

Researching NZ salary info will indicate that salaries are likely to be less than most metropolitan areas of the US and Europe. However some areas are comparable.

A look at the taxation system and tax rates and GST etc will tell one that taxation is high. By this stage it shouldn't be a surprise that petrol costs a lot (with all that tax)

A quick glance on the internet, before leaving home, will inform a prospective expat that houses are expensive. This is not Texas. BTW houses cost a fortune in Europe and most people rent there and could never expect to buy.

It shouldn't be a surprise to anybody that NZ is full of beautiful open spaces .... full of lakes/rivers/mountains etc etc . A real possibility that someone who doesn't care for outdoor activity might not be so happy here. I am a Kiwi who doesn't much like tramping and camping ... I am not attracted to the thought of living in Montana

I know so many happy people who have moved here. They have all had marketable skills that pay a decent income and a job organised before they arrived. They also came prepared with a good amount of money. Most of them buy a house outright due to exchange rates favouring them.

The unhappy ones on that board didn't do their research...arrived here with a family and about three months of living expenses. Things don't go well...realise they miss family and kids are starting to talk with NZ accents, moan about the cost of sending Xmas presents to the UK, moan about the kiwi biscuit selection, moan about kiwi driving, moan about everything .....then realise they are stuck because they have got a huge mortgage and have no way of making it back to the UK.

Looking at that board, the only ones I felt sorry for were the divorced expats who used to be married to NZ'ers and now can't travel back to their home countries with their children because of custody arrangements

Old 07-03-2010, 09:10 AM

9,694 posts, read 11,698,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuberose View Post
Well, beg to differ....the most negative and frequent posts are from inadequately prepared Brits.
There are Americans as well who didn't research and prepare well.

NZ is a small country with a very small population a long way from anywhere ....right away this should provide info about likely costs for goods and services
It should also hint at the possibility of the place being a bit parochial.
Having worked in the tourism biz and dealt with many brits, they are all whiners and complainers anyways so I just know that's what to expect with them

Now that I have been on city data for 2 years, we have many people that come on here just like those that end up complaining on expat exposed.

I think what it is, is that people create some sort of fantasy in their head of what these places are(especially never having been there before) and you can't talk them out of it. We had a gal here recently get angry at people here because we pointed out there was no duplicate of new york city in Australia and that poster just could not get their head around that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand