Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:37 PM

790 posts, read 1,728,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atf487 View Post
I think it's kind of endearing, but I don't really understand why they inflect their sentences with what sounds like a question. What separates the different accents? Is it each capital city?

I come from Boston though (probably the least appealing accent ever), so I can't really rag on the Aussie accents
Slightly off topic, but I don't know why people complain about the New England accent.

The main complaint I have about any of the American accents is when girls go "eeeeeeend" for "and"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 10:11 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,854,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Stranger still, it is common for females to have a "less broad" (pitch and/or drawl?) accent than males
Except for (of course!) rural Queensland. The womenfolk are just as ocker as the men.

Old 05-08-2010, 12:25 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,718,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
Except for (of course!) rural Queensland. The womenfolk are just as ocker as the men.
When women call men ""mate"" that is pushing the ocher boundaries a little too far.
The most offensive word that Aussies have invented is "You's"", used by both men and women, it shows a tackiness in the extreme.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:04 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,818,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
When women call men ""mate"" that is pushing the ocher boundaries a little too far.
The most offensive word that Aussies have invented is "You's"", used by both men and women, it shows a tackiness in the extreme.
I don't mind women calling men mate, as long as it's in a non-condescending way.

I'm not sure if we invented 'youse', but it's one word which does indicate a lack of class, and is not really related to ockerness but a kind of low class urban manner of speak.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't mind women calling men mate, as long as it's in a non-condescending way.

I'm not sure if we invented 'youse', but it's one word which does indicate a lack of class, and is not really related to ockerness but a kind of low class urban manner of speak.
It just doesn't sound right. Sorry.
As for 'Youse', its better than 'You lot'. English needs a distinct plural form for you, I believe. I always think of Victorians when I hear 'Youse', don't know why.

Old 05-08-2010, 03:10 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,818,026 times
Quote:
As for 'Youse', its better than 'You lot'. English needs a distinct plural form for you, I believe. I always think of Victorians when I hear 'Youse', don't know why.
I kind of like 'you mob' although it's not so good if there are only two people. In that case just 'you' suffices just fine.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:03 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,715,380 times
Quote:
Y'all!

(properly pronounced without any glotal stop as "yall", as with the rhythm of saying "wall")
Love that pronoun. Sounds a lot more natural than "youse" (infrequently used here too)

Some people laugh at it as sounding so retarded in the Northern US and Canada,
yet won't and can't are natural contractions of (will not) and (cannot) used throughout the English world.

Old 05-08-2010, 07:45 AM

112 posts, read 281,682 times
Mite I think it's a grite accent

Old 05-08-2010, 07:51 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,877,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl123 View Post
Lol and the one who doesnt know what mite is called for would say '' Do i look like a Mite to u '' .. well there you go Crickey

Last edited by Norm24x7; 05-08-2010 at 08:00 AM..

Old 05-08-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl123 View Post
Pretty close, still not strine enough, though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand