Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 10:18 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,715,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
How someone could not tell the difference is beyond me. They are poles apart.
If someone isn't speaking with a Broad accent (or one of the funny new "posh accents" )
it might take me a few sentences before I can tell if they are Brit or Aussie...
and my ability to distinguish is mostly because of my exposure to the General Australian accent through the internet.

I have an even harder time distinguishing if someone is Kiwi or British, as there are many kinds of UK accents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 10:24 AM

Since Christmas in Australia was mentioned...

Now that I remember that Christmas is in summer Down Under,
perhaps that is the main reason why roasting turkeys at Christmas are NOT a tradition in Oz or NZ,
while they are in England as well as North America.

*When not long ago most people did not have air-con...
I can now imagine the limited-appeal of running one's oven for 6-8 hrs.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:23 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,700,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Since Christmas in Australia was mentioned...

Now that I remember that Christmas is in summer Down Under,
perhaps that is the main reason why roasting turkeys at Christmas are NOT a tradition in Oz or NZ,
while they are in England as well as North America.

*When not long ago most people did not have air-con...
I can now imagine the limited-appeal of running one's oven for 6-8 hrs.
I'm not sure of the proportion of roast dinners versus cold seafood lunch is, but a lot of people I talk to do the roast dinner. I hardly ever come across someone who does the cold seafood lunch. I might be wrong but it tends to be more middle-aged and older anglo-Australians who do - probably just the tradition for them, growing up in boiling hot aircon-less houses.

The Poms seem to prefer the roast dinner as well. It's just what you prefer, what's custom and tradition for you. For us, we have seafood anytime of the year, and often, so it's not so special. Doing a roast turkey is a bigger deal, not something I'd want to do as often as we make seafood (at least once a week).

Old 05-15-2010, 08:29 PM

9,501 posts, read 16,401,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atf487 View Post
I think it's kind of endearing, but I don't really understand why they inflect their sentences with what sounds like a question. What separates the different accents? Is it each capital city?

I come from Boston though (probably the least appealing accent ever), so I can't really rag on the Aussie accents

Im originally from the Boston area also. If you listen to both accents you will definitely notice one similarity. Both the Aussie and the Boston accent drop the r in our speech pattern. I imagine it is due to both accents and peoples and the regional histories having some ties to the UK.

I like the Australian accent and find it easy to understand. When I lived in Japan I was constantly asked by English speaking people if I was Australian. They were hearing a New England accent and evidently were only familiar with the Australian one.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I'm not sure of the proportion of roast dinners versus cold seafood lunch is, but a lot of people I talk to do the roast dinner. I hardly ever come across someone who does the cold seafood lunch. I might be wrong but it tends to be more middle-aged and older anglo-Australians who do - probably just the tradition for them, growing up in boiling hot aircon-less houses.

The Poms seem to prefer the roast dinner as well. It's just what you prefer, what's custom and tradition for you. For us, we have seafood anytime of the year, and often, so it's not so special. Doing a roast turkey is a bigger deal, not something I'd want to do as often as we make seafood (at least once a week).
What I meant was discovering why the Christmas turkey didn't carry over from England or North America.
I KNOW they do it in England, Mr. Bean gets his head stuck inside a giant turkey.

So you eat a lot of cheap Chinese seafood, or exxy Aussie seafood?

Old 05-15-2010, 10:03 PM

10,781 posts, read 8,700,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
So you eat a lot of cheap Chinese seafood, or exxy Aussie seafood?
God no! I can imagine what sort of toxic soup that stuff would come from . I buy Australian seafood all the time, even though it's often pricier. We have to support the locals as much as possible. While it still is possible.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:15 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,809,343 times
Then there is always the famous one regarding Aussies from back in (I think) the 70s "they're a weird mob" LMAO - and yes, it's true, and we're proud to be.

Old 05-15-2010, 10:34 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,942,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Then there is always the famous one regarding Aussies from back in (I think) the 70s "they're a weird mob" LMAO - and yes, it's true, and we're proud to be.
It's also the name of a movie and a novel.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 05-15-2010 at 10:58 PM..

Old 05-16-2010, 04:49 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,854,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
When I lived in Japan I was constantly asked by English speaking people if I was Australian. They were hearing a New England accent and evidently were only familiar with the Australian one.
Half the population of Japan has been to Cairns, is probably why.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilSwift View Post
Australian accent is the most beautiful accent in the english speaking countries.

The only thing wrong with Aussie accent is BOGANS.

BOGANS are uneducated and they have ugly accent. They do not represent Australians.
What is the Australian accent btw?

The more I learn about Australian accents,
the stronger the variations and differences I notice among individual Australians
and the more generically-British a lot of their sounds really are, imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand