Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 12:55 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about forest, lush green, island trees, mountains, but close by the city. Because I remember vividly looking at pictures and films of NZ's landscape and it was surrounded by mountains of trees yet still by the city. I have no idea where precisely in the city that was. And I would love to know where in Australia these landscapes exist. Inquiring mind here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 02:42 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Deserts can be "natural" too.
Around Birdsville QLD from what I've seen on google maps their landscape is
brown sand, blue sky, blacktop and maybe the odd white/grey rock;
probably very natural and "undisturbed" there.
(and about as far from civilization as you can get)

Old 04-22-2010, 06:20 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm talking about forest, lush green, island trees, mountains, but close by the city. Because I remember vividly looking at pictures and films of NZ's landscape and it was surrounded by mountains of trees yet still by the city. I have no idea where precisely in the city that was. And I would love to know where in Australia these landscapes exist. Inquiring mind here...
It would have to be Tasmania, world heritage wilderness, beautiful beaches, wild and wonderful.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Any city in Australia, pretty much.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:37 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Yep pretty much any city in Australia would have all thoes things within easy driving/boating distance of the city centre. However they are proberly a bit too far away to capture with photography (ie the city with a stunning backdrop).

Cairns is visually quite stunning, with its moutains and rainforest as a backdrop.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 04-22-2010 at 11:51 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 02:21 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,036 times
Definitely New Zealand. NZ has an very interesting array of everything from mountainous to semi-arid climates. I find our "outback" very boring, barren and ugly with too much sun. Sure they get rain but only lasts a month or two

Coastal areas are nice & pretty but NZ wins hands down. I was really surprised at how hilly major NZ cities are yet don't command "expensive" prices like here & how such areas seem to be taken for granted over there as opposed to here.

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 04-23-2010 at 02:34 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 12:29 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Definitely New Zealand. NZ has an very interesting array of everything from mountainous to semi-arid climates. I find our "outback" very boring, barren and ugly with too much sun. Sure they get rain but only lasts a month or two

Coastal areas are nice & pretty but NZ wins hands down. I was really surprised at how hilly major NZ cities are yet don't command "expensive" prices like here & how such areas seem to be taken for granted over there as opposed to here.
That's what I thought too! I knew NZ was very hilly when I saw the streets on Google Maps! And yes it's very surprising to me coming from the U.S. that prices aren't higher there. Because cities like San Francisco are always the highest cost to live!

Old 04-23-2010, 01:38 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Queenstown in NZ is surrounded by stunning mountains and lakes. You can drive out of Auckland and be in the middle of gorgeous countryside in just a few miles, especially towards the west coast.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:41 PM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,036 times
Quote:
That's what I thought too! I knew NZ was very hilly when I saw the streets on Google Maps! And yes it's very surprising to me coming from the U.S. that prices aren't higher there. Because cities like San Francisco are always the highest cost to live!
Here, places on hills with "views" are certainly very expensive - a lot of emphasis on it as well.

Those Kiwis don't realise how lucky they are to have such places at cheap prices, even in the hilly suburbs of Auckland, people don't make a big fuss about their place having views. This is often an source of amusement/amazement to many of us.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:03 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,726,077 times
Quote:
I'm talking about forest, lush green, island trees, mountains, but close by the city ...
Speaking as a Perthling ... no real forests near the city. Other than a few parks and older sections that have established trees like gums and Moreton Bay Figs, Perth is vast tracts of suburbia where the builder comes in a razes everything to the ground and then builds on the sand. We have some nature reserves with lots of scrubby stuff and big old gums. Some Norfolk pines around the place too. Palms here and there. The forests are outside the city in state parks, or down south around Pemberton.

It's a different forest too. I wouldn't call them "lush". But then my perspective is a bit different perhaps to many Perthlings, having spent over 20 years in the rainforest that is Vancouver. Now that's lush! But then, you pay for it with the endless drizzle. Too brilliantly sunny & dry to get lush anything here.

Mountains? lol! There's what they call "Mt. Eliza" close to the downtown. It's in King's Park. More like a bump in the earth, but then I spent almost ten years living on the side of a 1000m mountain so my perspective again is different.

You're probably thinking New Zealand. Although the Blue Mountains outside Sydney are nice. Lots of forest there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand