Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 06:56 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,806,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
You do understand that Melbourne gets no sunshine right?
Actually, you have a similar number of hours as Toronto,
you are 5 degrees closer to the equator AND in the southern hemisphere.
Our clear sky UV level drops as low as 0.9 in mid-winter, while Melbourne's lowest clear sky UV is like 2-3.

In Toronto it's easy to get a tan Apr-Sep just being outside 1+ hrs a day;
doesn't matter what the weather is like if you're outside often enough.
Those "gross" looking medium-overcast days usually block no more than 2/3rds of the UV,
so say in July a clear sky day would be 9, a gross day will still have a UV of 3 mid-afternoon.

Often the UV is still 2-3 mid-summer on a drizzly-yucky day here; equal to a sunny mid-winter arvo in Melbourne.

I'm outdoors quite often when the weather isn't too bad; sometimes I hate cabin-fever more than I hate cold.

If you think "tanning" means wait for it to be hot so you can't wear long sleeves
and for the sun to pop out before heading outside then I can understand why many people in Melbourne might be pale.

I wouldn't expect Melbourne residents to be tanned year-round due to "chilly" winters and indoor living,
but I would suspect that a lot of them are tanned at least half the year, maybe 8 months a year.

Last edited by ColdCanadian; 04-30-2010 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 08:53 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
Therefore I hate Perffff. Sometimes I hear of Perfffffoids complaining about cloudy weather. What a load of crap, Perfff doesn't have clouds FFS!!! Those pansy Perfheads should try Melbourne, then they'd have a reason to sook and whine for their 6 month longth cloudless summers

Too bad its isolated from Australia.
I'm probably one of the few Perthites who would appreciate a bit more cloud, especially in summer. Perth people complaining about cloud are like Egyptians complaining about rain lol maybe not that bad, but our 106 or so cloudy days pales in significance to the 180 in Melbourne, and the 190 in Albany.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:02 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm probably one of the few Perthites who would appreciate a bit more cloud, especially in summer. Perth people complaining about cloud are like Egyptians complaining about rain lol maybe not that bad, but our 106 or so cloudy days pales in significance to the 180 in Melbourne, and the 190 in Albany.
There you go SAB, Albany - there is a place on the Australian mainland -ie not Tasmania or Bass Strait - with a worse climate than Melbourne.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:24 AM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
Quote:
I'm probably one of the few Perthites who would appreciate a bit more cloud, especially in summer. Perth people complaining about cloud are like Egyptians complaining about rain lol .
I certainly wouldn't complain about cloud in Perth, as it hardly ever is. Worst time was last spring. I seem to remember it being cloudier than usual, for longer. I will miss the consistent sunshine of Perth. And the sky is a particularly beautiful shade of blue. It was similar in Utah.

Quote:
maybe not that bad, but our 106 or so cloudy days pales in significance to the 180 in Melbourne, and the 190 in Albany.
So that explains why every time we've been to Albany it's been cloudy, or at best partially cloudy. And freezing in the middle of summer too. I remember fishing off the Albany pier there with our kids and our hands were so cold we couldn't hold our fishing rods. Went into some op-shop there and bought a pure wool jumper for $2 and other warm woolies for everyone else. Had to wear that, middle of summer, or I'd die of hypothermia!

Old 05-01-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Went into some op-shop there and bought a pure wool jumper for $2 and other warm woolies for everyone else. Had to wear that, middle of summer, or I'd die of hypothermia!
I thought clothes were expensive in Oz?

Old 05-01-2010, 07:30 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
I thought clothes were expensive in Oz?
I bought it at an op-shop - charity shop, as in Vinnie's or the Salvo's (St. Vincent de Paul, Salvation Army). Second-hand stuff that people donate in those charity bins. We were desperate. Didn't want to spend a lot of money. But it was a nice jumper. Couple of holes, but did the job.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
I bought it at an op-shop - charity shop, as in Vinnie's or the Salvo's (St. Vincent de Paul, Salvation Army). Second-hand stuff that people donate in those charity bins. We were desperate. Didn't want to spend a lot of money. But it was a nice jumper. Couple of holes, but did the job.
Oh, I thought you mean OP as in "Ocean Pacific" which is a brand of surf/skateboard clothing in the USA.
Never heard of an op-shop.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:21 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Oh, I thought you mean OP as in "Ocean Pacific" which is a brand of surf/skateboard clothing in the USA.
Never heard of an op-shop.
They are quite common here, . Every town has one.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
They are quite common here, . Every town has one.
A business's name? We have a lot of "Goodwill" stores around here.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:23 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
There you go SAB, Albany - there is a place on the Australian mainland -ie not Tasmania or Bass Strait - with a worse climate than Melbourne.
It is a well known fact that Tasmania actually has more sunny days than Queensland..and don't think you can't get sunburnt even when it is cloudy ..you still have to wear hat and sunscreen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand