Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 03:56 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardbredgal View Post
Hello, My husband is Mexican and I am white, we moved from America to escape the horrendous political crap, war and bad ecomony.
My Husband is treated very well here, landed a high paying position the SECOND day. He LOOOOVES it. No more racist comments, no more snide little remarks, because we are interracial.
You will find Aussies less rascist, and very welcoming to Latin people, best move ever, just LOVE Australia and it's wonderful people
Having lived in Oz, Canada and the US, I've not found Oz to be any more or less racist than the US or Canada. As for work being better or worse in Oz it depends on your field. In IT salaries were lower than in the US and Canada. A friend of mine from Colombia who was a Senior Treasurer for a conglomerate in South America could not find a job better than as a Financial Analyst for Myers (despite acceptable English). He is looking to leave Oz. If I were a minimum wage earner in North America and moving to Oz, I'd be happy with the higher wages and 4 weeks vacation. But for professional level jobs, it would depend on your field and where you are moving from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 03:58 PM

683 posts, read 1,468,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco09 View Post
I've seen many banners in a lot of web sites encouraging people to try Australia as an option to get a work, so I start wondering how is it with latin people, sorry to ask this but I only know people who immigrate to U.S. and very few ones to U.K.

Thank you in advance.
The italian population is big in Australia. close to a million people have Italian ancestry there.

Old 05-05-2010, 04:17 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,803,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaco09 View Post
P.S. Nice joke about Nick Ryan and you were correct I didn't know what you meant until you post the video
Glad you liked it.
I thought it'd be a great "ice-breaker" if people were asking stupid questions about where you came from.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:14 PM

15 posts, read 68,703 times
Hi , Yes that is your experience, mine as an Aussie who lived and worked all over the States for 20 years is different. We lived in Tennessee, Louisiana, Nebraska, California and South Carolina, all in all California was the worst, as far as racism.
I earn ALOT more here as a horse trainer too. You can say whatever you want about America but all those tent cities speak for themselves. 1 out of 5 kids on foodstamps, foreclosures galore, anyway the fall of the Roman empire is another topic!!

Old 05-07-2010, 02:38 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,980 times
Quite an sizeable community in Green Valley, near Liverpool, in the far SW suburbs.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:14 AM

121 posts, read 244,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Most Latinos you meet here seem to be tourists or students/backpackers. Haven't met many who have settled here.
You guys are missing out on quite alot!!!

Plenty of Latinos on this side

Liverpool St, Sydney (CBD) is populated with Spanish clubs/bars/restaurants/cafes/bookshops/dance studios/language schools.....extraordinary culture and wonderful people!

Old 05-07-2010, 05:00 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by standardbredgal View Post
Hi , Yes that is your experience, mine as an Aussie who lived and worked all over the States for 20 years is different. We lived in Tennessee, Louisiana, Nebraska, California and South Carolina, all in all California was the worst, as far as racism.
I earn ALOT more here as a horse trainer too. You can say whatever you want about America but all those tent cities speak for themselves. 1 out of 5 kids on foodstamps, foreclosures galore, anyway the fall of the Roman empire is another topic!!
LOL. Thanks for the laugh! BTW my experience of life in the US: born US, lived in HI (summers as a kid), CA, MI, NY, NJ, CT, NH for more than 30 years. Corporate white professional only working for large fortune 100 companies. Yup my experience is completely different.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:58 PM

16 posts, read 35,030 times
Lol hes talking about Latinamerican people, not Italians (although most Argentineans are of italian descent...) or Spaniards.

A question to Flaco09: Where are you from?
From what ive heard most latinamericans living down under come from the Southern Cone (Chile, Argentina, Uruguay).

Latinamerica is a bigass "continent" with people of different backgrounds. Its not the same thing being Argentinean, Bolivian, Brazilian or Mexican, if you know what i mean .

Im hispanic too

Old 05-24-2010, 10:09 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
I think the spreading use of the terms latin, spanish and anglo (to describe an individuals ethnic background) are the most irritating developments in the identity politics of the southwestern US.

Mexicano, Argentino, American, Canadian, etc. are nationalities - not ethnic groups.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:51 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,861,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnf16 View Post
Lol hes talking about Latinamerican people, not Italians (although most Argentineans are of italian descent...) or Spaniards.
OP did say 'Latin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
I think the spreading use of the terms latin, spanish and anglo (to describe an individuals ethnic background) are the most irritating developments in the identity politics of the southwestern US.

Mexicano, Argentino, American, Canadian, etc. are nationalities - not ethnic groups.
Yes, this is just another moronic thread polluting this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand