Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 10:03 AM

711 posts, read 1,855,799 times

Advertisements

1) Mandatory tire changes between 2 different compounds. That sure makes for more exciting racing. Better than mandatory grooved tires, I suppose, but only just.
2) Mandatory "energy recovery" systems (next year?). WTF? I thought we were racing race cars not Priuses.
3) No refueling (constrains pit strategy making races less interesting)
4) Ever tinier engines. I can't wait until they're running 1000cc triples.
5) The general eco-freak vibe of upcoming rules. Is this a racing series or "apology to Gaia" tour?
6) Major rules changes every year in the name of "competitiveness". The problem is that since R&D is both a huge cost and a huge competitive edge, changing the rules guarantees uncompetitive teams (rather the opposite of their stated goals) because they can't afford big R&D every year like McLaren or Ferrari. Rules stability lets teams catch up over time, while rules chaos smashes them down every year.
7) Limiting engine materials. It was claimed this was done to decrease costs. The cost of exotic materials is trivial. I doubt they significantly increased the cost of the engine. What does cost is R&D, and it's a lot cheaper to get power through exotics than it is to develop a conventional aluminum engine. With RPM limits now in place, getting 1% more power has gotten an order of magnitude more expensive, which favors wealthy teams even more. That's quite aside from throwing away the tens (hundreds?) of millions of dollars you've spent over more than a decade on 3.0L engines to switch to 2.4L ones.
8) If I didn't know better, I'd think FIA doesn't actually want competitive grids, because everything they do to decrease costs and improve competitiveness very predictably has the exact opposite effect.
9) I watch racing to see cars go fast. FIA wants cars to go slower. If I wanted slow I'd watch semi-truck racing.
10) If you really want backmarkers to go faster, allow shared development. How would it hurt the sport to have teams co-develop a car?
11) Penalizing your starting grid position for mechanical failure. You'd think that finishing races to garner prestige, sponsors, and fans would be sufficient incentive to design a reliable car, but according to the FIA you'd be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 08:20 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,403,421 times
I think F1 is interesting, and I'd like an answer to these rules as well. I was watching the European Grand Prix early Sunday, and would've liked to know why it was required they carry 300 lbs of fuel, as well. ???

Old 07-02-2010, 09:18 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
F1 has more and more become a money and a race about the cars themselves. For a long time they have adjusted the rules treying to make it more than a two manufacturer rce caused by money. I perosnally having watched it for years thing without removing some of the downforce devices it will never be what it once was.After the start it more like a parade most times.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
For a long time they have adjusted the rules trying to make it more than a two manufacturer race caused by money.
That's exactly the problem. They shouldn't have adjusted the rules.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:02 AM

33 posts, read 56,693 times
F1 is forever tweaking the rules some work some don't and the fueling ban during race has made this season pretty boring ok some good races have come from this season but overall the pits used to be part of the race strategies with the fueling and tyre change together could make for interesting viewing .

2011 rules again hope to bring in more action between more of the teams with closer races starting with the ban of the Fduct replacing with a movable rear wing, the minimum weight to be raised for the Kers to make a return.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:00 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I think F1 is interesting, and I'd like an answer to these rules as well. I was watching the European Grand Prix early Sunday, and would've liked to know why it was required they carry 300 lbs of fuel, as well. ???
Because there's no refueling.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:32 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,403,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Because there's no refueling.
Is this a new rule? I remember them refueling during the Turkish Grand Prix, last year, for sure. I remember them talking about how they had it figured out to the last drop how much fuel to add and they already had it preloaded "in a hose" when the driver pulled in.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Is this a new rule?
Yes, new for this year. Yet another of FIA's rule changes that appears to have no purpose other than to create change for change's sake.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:51 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
Yes, new for this year. Yet another of FIA's rule changes that appears to have no purpose other than to create change for change's sake.
In every form of racing, no matter how they change the rules, the designers always manage to make the cars faster. I believe they should make changes to the tracks, like lower grip surfaces and bumps that would force the teams to run more ride height and more compliant suspensions.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:38 PM

240 posts, read 385,453 times
Mostly rules are instituted for safty while trying to maintain the competitive nature of the race. They eliminated refueling because of several fires and injuries last year, they retained the tire changes because of the length of the race, the tires wouldn't last an entire race without constantly having yellow flag/saftey car periods for tire failures on track. The types of tires are about team strategy, when to change and what compound to use. The energy recovery system was in the spirit of developing Green technology, like the A.L.M.S. using E85 fuel in their cars. It doesn't reduce the competion, the rule changes makes them safer like the C.O.T in NASCAR. INDY cars all use the same engine to reduce costs but it doesn't eliminate the competitive nature and spirit of the race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing