U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2010, 07:08 AM
 
Location: Upstate
5,803 posts, read 6,588,431 times
Reputation: 4177

Advertisements

NASCAR is making some decent changes with the Nationwide Series. There is still room for improvement, especially with the Cup drivers.

NW needs Cup drivers to bring in the viewers, but there needs to be some kind of handicap for them, since they are supposed to be the best drivers out there. I would like to see them start at the end of the pack, no matter how they qualify. Maybe not allow them to practice either. Plus I'm not too crazy about a Cup guy winning the NW championship. There should be a way to allow the NW only guys to win that, because the NW series is supposed to be the farm system for the Cup series.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2010, 10:31 AM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,323,717 times
Reputation: 8901
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I suppose that's why so many boo Juan Pablo Montoya, too? LOL

Last I checked, Toyota employs a lot of folks building cars in NASCAR country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2010, 10:43 AM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,323,717 times
Reputation: 8901
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
NASCAR is making some decent changes with the Nationwide Series. There is still room for improvement, especially with the Cup drivers.

NW needs Cup drivers to bring in the viewers, but there needs to be some kind of handicap for them, since they are supposed to be the best drivers out there. I would like to see them start at the end of the pack, no matter how they qualify. Maybe not allow them to practice either. Plus I'm not too crazy about a Cup guy winning the NW championship. There should be a way to allow the NW only guys to win that, because the NW series is supposed to be the farm system for the Cup series.
Certainly is a double-edged sword, but I don't have a problem with a SC driver winning the NW cup due to the fact s/he is running most of the races and is competing for the championship, not just taking money, positions, & gathering data. Not too many solutions out there that wouldn't drive away the cup drivers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 06:43 PM
 
Location: South Fla
9,644 posts, read 8,620,675 times
Reputation: 1942
The races have gotten boring as heck. There is no passing, hardly any side by side racing. Its a bunch of follow the leader.

Go around on different drivers boards and all you see is people complaining about the races are boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2010, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Kentucky
3,790 posts, read 7,797,479 times
Reputation: 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
The races have gotten boring as heck. There is no passing, hardly any side by side racing. Its a bunch of follow the leader.

Go around on different drivers boards and all you see is people complaining about the races are boring.
To hear some tell it, NASCAR is better then ever.

It's simple:

COT
Prices
The Chase
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2010, 07:25 AM
 
Location: South Fla
9,644 posts, read 8,620,675 times
Reputation: 1942
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
To hear some tell it, NASCAR is better then ever.

It's simple:

COT
Prices
The Chase
I have not met 1 person that has told me that. Heck I use to tell my husband ok the race is on we cant go out, We cant do anything I need the tv and a computer for the scanner to watch the race. I dont have the scanner and I have watched maybe 1 race all season. The rest I fast forward thru if I do that. I just cant justify not spending time with my family to play card games on the computer for 4 hours during a race. Cause I'd be so bored I would end up playing computer games during most of the race.

I agree changing the car has ruined the races. They can change the restarts and such and that isnt helping.

They want to fix nascar to get viewers and butts in the seats. Go back to the old cars. That you can race side by side and pass people with

Nascar fans are some of the most loyal fans and will save pennies to attend a race but the races have to be exciting and not have people feeling like they are wasting their money and could spend it on something better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2010, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Back and Forth FRANCE
2,716 posts, read 2,616,509 times
Reputation: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Action on track isn't helping NASCAR attendance, ratings - USATODAY.com

Sure...keep tweaking. It has worked so well thus far.

I bet Big Bill is rolling over in his grave seeing what he built has been destroyed.
When the most exciting things that happen in your sport is crashes, and super models standing behind the winning driver, your sport is dying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2010, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Kentucky
3,790 posts, read 7,797,479 times
Reputation: 2416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
When the most exciting things that happen in your sport is crashes, and super models standing behind the winning driver, your sport is dying.
While I agree with the dying part, that is not what is most exciting about NASCAR. THIS is what NASCAR is all, well used to be about:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2010, 03:16 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,323,717 times
Reputation: 8901
Wow, memories certainly do fade over time. Several of you need to get tapes of old races a watch them. Most all were boring, follow the leader, little or no passing; regardless if you could recognize the car or not. You people talk as if there was so much passing in the gool ol' days it would drive a scorekeeper mad. It doesn't matter what track, at some point and time they get strung out and not much happens.
Yeah, let's go back to the good ol' days so we can watch the (insert driver of choice here ) become the next one to win 200 races, or have a double digit margin of victory a Daytona or Talladega, or pull a Ned Jarrett and lap the entire field at Darlington. Most driver's would salivate to have Petty's career avg of 6 wins/season. Yeah, let's go back and watch one driver win half the races in one season. Let's see how long you enjoy that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2010, 03:19 PM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,476,211 times
Reputation: 8164
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfw&p View Post
wow, memories certainly do fade over time. Several of you need to get tapes of old races a watch them. Most all were boring, follow the leader, little or no passing; regardless if you could recognize the car or not. You people talk as if there was so much passing in the gool ol' days it would drive a scorekeeper mad. It doesn't matter what track, at some point and time they get strung out and not much happens.
Yeah, let's go back to the good ol' days so we can watch the (insert driver of choice here ) become the next one to win 200 races, or have a double digit margin of victory a daytona or talladega, or pull a ned jarrett and lap the entire field at darlington. Most driver's would salivate to have petty's career avg of 6 wins/season. Yeah, let's go back and watch one driver win half the races in one season. Let's see how long you enjoy that.

bingo !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top