U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 11:49 AM

445 posts, read 681,459 times

Advertisements

Couldn't have said it better, Stripes17.

It is still a good sport. But not as great as it used to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2010, 04:26 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,499,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Well, aside from those, here are three things that I don't agree with as Nascar has evolved: (Again, just my opinion.)

1) Media Saturation - It used to be that you'd have to look high and low to see bits of a race on TV and in the newspapers. You'd often spend a Sunday afternoon sitting with your friends listening to the race on the AM radio stations. The 80's were great in that the races were televised and there were one or two racing-based tv shows on during the week to summarize things. Since the 90's and mainly due to the internet, racing is in your face at every turn with oodles of racing columnists, bloggists, tv shows, radio shows, etc. It's to the point where they are turning non-issues into teaser stories and blown out of proportion topics. (Good example: Remember when Jr was leaving DEI?) It's out of hand and the media has created a good share of the apathy in the sport due to oversaturation.

2) Fox TV coverage - Fox has turned televised racing into a debacle. What used to be terrific coverage with the like of Benny, Bob, and Ned on ESPN and Eli Gold and the guys at TNT has now turned into the camera hogging, self promoting, grand-standing, dillweeds on Fox TV. Race coverage used to be the anthem, some driver introductions and interviews, prayer, and drop the green flag. Now it's Hollywood Hotel, program hosts, females reporters (no problem if they know racing!), games and interviews, rumors, concerts, cartoon characters, overly-repeated regionalisms, "boogity,boogity, boogity" nonsense, whatever that crap is Larry Mac babbles at the green, etc. And the other networks have somewhat followed suit.

3) The new generation of cars and "drivers" - I've said it before and I'll say it again. I miss the guys that "raced". They're just about gone from Nascar. These were the guys that worked and provided for a family. They spent nights in the garage wrenching their cars and then traveling to the tracks to "race" them. It used to be cool to see an engine change DURING a race. And the driver was usually right in the mix helping out. As the sport evolved, these guys were able to dedicate their lives to racing (ie - racing was their job), but many of them were still there getting greasy at the track and "leaving it all out there" running for steak money. Today, we're at a point where the sport and the sponsors have media darlings in these cars. They drive these engineering spectacles angling for the best finish their handling package allows for. This way they can focus on the goal of getting camera time for their sponsor laden car, repeating cliche interview answers, taking their fake swig of the sponsors beverage on camera, and spewing out all-of the sponsor names in each interview. We've gone from tough as nail racers with personality to pretty boy drivers with neatly pressed firesuits.

Yep, the sport has changed over the years and there are definitely things that have gotten better as well as those that have worsened, IMHO. Overall, I still LOVE stock car racing (especially the Whelen modifed series compared to the Big 3 series).

But you cannot go back to where it was, so we have to enjoy what it is.
I was sitting here watching the race trying to figure out the all the reasons NASCAR has lost so much popularity and stripes has covered a good part of the reasons in this post. There are more but this is a good start! Personally I kinda miss the hard core race drivers that raced because of that love they had for racing and not so much the big $$ and being a movie star. And yeah stripes, I also miss those good old days..........

Old 08-01-2010, 07:18 PM

7,187 posts, read 11,239,863 times
Let me throw this out there. One thing NASCAR has gotten right is driver safety. Elliott Sadler walked away from one heckuva a hit today! That's a big positive result of the way they build these cars today. Kudo's!

Old 08-01-2010, 08:08 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,321,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Well, aside from those, here are three things that I don't agree with as Nascar has evolved: (Again, just my opinion.)

1) Media Saturation - It used to be that you'd have to look high and low to see bits of a race on TV and in the newspapers. You'd often spend a Sunday afternoon sitting with your friends listening to the race on the AM radio stations. The 80's were great in that the races were televised and there were one or two racing-based tv shows on during the week to summarize things. Since the 90's and mainly due to the internet, racing is in your face at every turn with oodles of racing columnists, bloggists, tv shows, radio shows, etc. It's to the point where they are turning non-issues into teaser stories and blown out of proportion topics. (Good example: Remember when Jr was leaving DEI?) It's out of hand and the media has created a good share of the apathy in the sport due to oversaturation.

2) Fox TV coverage - Fox has turned televised racing into a debacle. What used to be terrific coverage with the like of Benny, Bob, and Ned on ESPN and Eli Gold and the guys at TNT has now turned into the camera hogging, self promoting, grand-standing, dillweeds on Fox TV. Race coverage used to be the anthem, some driver introductions and interviews, prayer, and drop the green flag. Now it's Hollywood Hotel, program hosts, females reporters (no problem if they know racing!), games and interviews, rumors, concerts, cartoon characters, overly-repeated regionalisms, "boogity,boogity, boogity" nonsense, whatever that crap is Larry Mac babbles at the green, etc. And the other networks have somewhat followed suit.

3) The new generation of cars and "drivers" - I've said it before and I'll say it again. I miss the guys that "raced". They're just about gone from Nascar. These were the guys that worked and provided for a family. They spent nights in the garage wrenching their cars and then traveling to the tracks to "race" them. It used to be cool to see an engine change DURING a race. And the driver was usually right in the mix helping out. As the sport evolved, these guys were able to dedicate their lives to racing (ie - racing was their job), but many of them were still there getting greasy at the track and "leaving it all out there" running for steak money. Today, we're at a point where the sport and the sponsors have media darlings in these cars. They drive these engineering spectacles angling for the best finish their handling package allows for. This way they can focus on the goal of getting camera time for their sponsor laden car, repeating cliche interview answers, taking their fake swig of the sponsors beverage on camera, and spewing out all-of the sponsor names in each interview. We've gone from tough as nail racers with personality to pretty boy drivers with neatly pressed firesuits.

Yep, the sport has changed over the years and there are definitely things that have gotten better as well as those that have worsened, IMHO. Overall, I still LOVE stock car racing (especially the Whelen modifed series compared to the Big 3 series).

But you cannot go back to where it was, so we have to enjoy what it is.
I mostly argee with this and will add this:
I thought TNN did the best job covering races.
Additionally, what I miss most was what NASCAR did in its quest to create parity and curb costs; they killed armchair racing. Before the COT & common template cars, NASCAR was changing rules seemingly every other week to maintain parity. Drivers & owners whining about who had what areodynamic advantage or horsepower advantage. We used to talk on Monday mornings about the weekend's race on who had what, as if we were engineers ourselves. With all that gone the only thing left to talk about is NASCAR's most over88ted driver.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:26 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,499,981 times
You are so right about that accident Elliot had yesterday. I just knew he had to be injured--a wicked hard hit--most definately the cars are much safer today. And yes Stripes, that is a "GOOD" thing!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:33 AM

5,803 posts, read 6,587,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
The races have gotten boring as heck. There is no passing, hardly any side by side racing. Its a bunch of follow the leader.

Go around on different drivers boards and all you see is people complaining about the races are boring.
I was never a big fan of Pocono, but both races there this year have been good.

Sunday's race was very exciting, there were probably close to 20 lead changes, dozens of battles in the middle of the pack, a horrific accident and a winner with a long dry spell. The drivers began racing hard from lap one to lap 200...even the commentators were surprised.

I had hoped it was going to be Jeff's day, but Biffle played the cards right with two tires. Some guys took no tires, some took four...so trying to guess what they were going to do prior to the final pit stop was nail biting. Heck of a chess match.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:43 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,472,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I was never a big fan of Pocono, but both races there this year have been good.

Sunday's race was very exciting, there were probably close to 20 lead changes, dozens of battles in the middle of the pack, a horrific accident and a winner with a long dry spell. The drivers began racing hard from lap one to lap 200...even the commentators were surprised.

I had hoped it was going to be Jeff's day, but Biffle played the cards right with two tires. Some guys took no tires, some took four...so trying to guess what they were going to do prior to the final pit stop was nail biting. Heck of a chess match.

Yes, that was a great race yesterday.

I kionda feel sorry for the leader when a race caution comes out later in the race.
You are kinda hung out to dry by strategy.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:00 AM

7,187 posts, read 11,239,863 times
I have to admit I was truly surprised that there were no cautions in that last 20 +/- lap segment, especially with the varying pit strategies mentioned above.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:10 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,472,000 times
I was too.

I thought for sure there would be a couple restarts after Biffle took the lead.

Good to see Biffle win.

64 races is a long sretch w/o a victory.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:02 AM

1,518 posts, read 1,788,030 times
I just found this thread and read with interest all the replies. I personally feel that NA$car only cares about the money. Whatever it takes to fill the seats and get people to watch. The chase is the worst thing they could have ever done I think. When your driver can win the all 26 races before the chase then have a bad race and lose the championship? NOT smart!

I'm curious to see how many people on here actually go to the races anymore or still watch it on TV? In the past I went to 10 races a year. Now it's down to six. I've done Bristol, Martinsville, and Darlington so far. I'm going to Dover this weekend and will have Martinsville and Dega after that to do. Dover sucked last year as I'm sure it will again this year. Aside from Martinsville and Dega the reasons I go now are for the things to do away from the track. There is no racin, it's mostly follow the leader single file spread out around the track. I can sit on my deck and watch the traffic on US1 and get that.

I haven't watched a single race this year for more than 20 laps. When you go to the races you can almost predict what lap they will throw the infamous mystery caution to tighten up the field. Na$car has ruined what was once a great sport for most of the reasons ya'll have already listed. Maybe one day it will return to form? We shall see........

Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing