U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2010, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Kentucky
3,790 posts, read 7,793,409 times
Reputation: 2416

Advertisements

Action on track isn't helping NASCAR attendance, ratings - USATODAY.com

Sure...keep tweaking. It has worked so well thus far.

I bet Big Bill is rolling over in his grave seeing what he built has been destroyed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2010, 04:56 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,316,830 times
Reputation: 8901
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2010, 08:35 PM
 
9,807 posts, read 13,466,228 times
Reputation: 8158
It's the economy.

Two dirt tracks near me ( 24 miles west and 35 miles east) are closed this year.

They have been in business as long as I can remember.

Our regional daily paper did an article on their being closed this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 10:31 AM
 
Location: Hernando, FL
749 posts, read 2,101,483 times
Reputation: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
It's the economy.

Two dirt tracks near me ( 24 miles west and 35 miles east) are closed this year.

They have been in business as long as I can remember.

Our regional daily paper did an article on their being closed this year.
In the last 6 or 7 years we've had 4 asphalt tracks close here in FL, another 1 is up for sale but still running, all of them had been around since the 60's. Many of the closures are blamed on NASCAR itself since they run so many Saturday night races now. The local track near where I live doesn'f even bother to run the Sat. night of the Coke Zero 400 at Daytona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 11:10 AM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,316,830 times
Reputation: 8901
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
It's the economy.

Two dirt tracks near me ( 24 miles west and 35 miles east) are closed this year.

They have been in business as long as I can remember.

Our regional daily paper did an article on their being closed this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
In the last 6 or 7 years we've had 4 asphalt tracks close here in FL, another 1 is up for sale but still running, all of them had been around since the 60's. Many of the closures are blamed on NASCAR itself since they run so many Saturday night races now. The local track near where I live doesn'f even bother to run the Sat. night of the Coke Zero 400 at Daytona.
You two need to be careful about posting objective responses, KYdad is chomping at the bit to relish the day when NASCAR goes bust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 PM
 
Location: Lake Norman, NC
7,186 posts, read 11,235,776 times
Reputation: 30762
I still think one of the main reasons is because Nascar alienated many of its core fans from over the years to go after the glitzier crowds. Many of those turned out to be fair weather fans, with the economy and unemployment being aggravating factors.

Nascar is trying and I can't fault them for that. Some things work and some don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2010, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
3,003 posts, read 3,158,710 times
Reputation: 1649
Great win for Jamie and the Ganassi team! That is a special feat Team Ganassi did this year..........may never see that again. Go Shrub!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2010, 05:28 PM
 
Location: In a house
21,956 posts, read 21,494,826 times
Reputation: 14918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I still think one of the main reasons is because Nascar alienated many of its core fans from over the years to go after the glitzier crowds. Many of those turned out to be fair weather fans, with the economy and unemployment being aggravating factors.

Nascar is trying and I can't fault them for that. Some things work and some don't.
You took the words right out of my mouth! BINGO!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2010, 07:56 PM
 
12,577 posts, read 13,316,830 times
Reputation: 8901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I still think one of the main reasons is because Nascar alienated many of its core fans from over the years to go after the glitzier crowds. Many of those turned out to be fair weather fans, with the economy and unemployment being aggravating factors.

Nascar is trying and I can't fault them for that. Some things work and some don't.
I disagree with those points. I don't know why southerners think they are the only ones allowed to be NASCAR fans or diehard fans. Oddly enough southerners are the very same people doing all the b******g, whining, and predicting doomsday. To say fans in other parts of the country can't be as diehard as southerners is really ridiculous. If NASCAR knew there wasn't a market for it they wouldn't have built tracks there. Though I will go on record stating I wished they wouldn't have built all D-shaped ovals. NASCAR had a unique opprotunity there.
The sad part is had NASCAR not expanded into other markets these very same idiots would have faulted them for that as well. IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2010, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, N.C. area
445 posts, read 681,214 times
Reputation: 513
Originally Posted by Stripes17
I still think one of the main reasons is because Nascar alienated many of its core fans from over the years to go after the glitzier crowds. Many of those turned out to be fair weather fans, with the economy and unemployment being aggravating factors.

Nascar is trying and I can't fault them for that. Some things work and some don't.



Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I disagree with those points. I don't know why southerners think they are the only ones allowed to be NASCAR fans or diehard fans. Oddly enough southerners are the very same people doing all the b******g, whining, and predicting doomsday. To say fans in other parts of the country can't be as diehard as southerners is really ridiculous. If NASCAR knew there wasn't a market for it they wouldn't have built tracks there. Though I will go on record stating I wished they wouldn't have built all D-shaped ovals. NASCAR had a unique opprotunity there.
The sad part is had NASCAR not expanded into other markets these very same idiots would have faulted them for that as well. IMO.

Now where did you come up with that brilliant observation?

It has nothing to do with southerners. Stop trying to stir-up regional discontent! Stripes did not call southerners the only "core" fans.

The core fans have been there for years from all over the country. Core fans have gone to races in Michigan, Pocono, New Hampshire, just to name a few.

Stripes17 was right. Nascar has been chasing the Hollywood and music industry crowd................. short attention span fans. It worked for awhile but these folks are moving on. Nascar has thrown tradition under the bus for the sake of more money. It has expanded at such a fast rate but with no thought to the long term future. Thus you have places like Fontana where tickets were given away in the final hours before the race just to try to fill the stands and fool the TV audience.

Yes, the economy has something to do with it. But Nascar was already declining in popularity since about 2006. The handwriting was on the wall but they failed to see it. So they went for even more glitz, glamour and change while the long term fans FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY have lost interest because their concerns have been ignored.

There was nothing bad about bringing the sport to new areas of the country. In many cases, it has brought some success. But Nascar has also destroyed some of the tradition along the way and that is just one reason for fans losing interest.

If you don't work in the industry, then you really might not see it as I have from a first hand basis. I work at many of the races during the year and I have had many hours where I get to listen to the concerns of fans.

Again, it has nothing to do with southerners so please stop generating hatred against southerners or any other region in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top