U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 10:05 AM

5,803 posts, read 6,587,092 times

Advertisements

NASCAR is planning quite a few changes for 2011. Among them:

Schedule Changes
  • Kansas and Las Vegas may pick up a second race
  • Kentucky may pick up a Sprint Cup race
  • Season Finale may move from Homestead to either Las Vegas or Daytona
  • Fontana, New Hampshire and Atlanta will lose a race

NASCAR shuffling deck, race dates for 2011 schedule | www.thatsracin.com

Changes to The Chase

This is a sore spot with a lot of fans. Many core fans don't like the Chase to begin with and now NASCAR is looking at adding an "elimination" to make the Chase more exciting.

There has also been talk again about making winning races more meaningful.

I like some of the schedule changes I've seen. Especially a Sprint Cup race at Kentucky. I also like the idea of changing the Finale race to Las Vegas due to the Championship Awards being there. But a season ender at Daytona would have a lot of excitement. (Why have the "superbowl" at the beginning of the season?)

As for the Chase, I was never real crazy about it in the first place, but if NASCAR keeps mucking it up, then even the core fans will find something better to do on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 10:25 AM

445 posts, read 681,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
NASCAR is planning quite a few changes for 2011. Among them:

Schedule Changes
  • Kansas and Las Vegas may pick up a second race
  • Kentucky may pick up a Sprint Cup race
  • Season Finale may move from Homestead to either Las Vegas or Daytona
  • Fontana, New Hampshire and Atlanta will lose a race

I like some of the schedule changes I've seen. Especially a Sprint Cup race at Kentucky. I also like the idea of changing the Finale race to Las Vegas due to the Championship Awards being there. But a season ender at Daytona would have a lot of excitement. (Why have the "superbowl" at the beginning of the season?)

As for the Chase, I was never real crazy about it in the first place, but if NASCAR keeps mucking it up, then even the core fans will find something better to do on Sunday.

From what I have heard, New Hampshire losing a race is a pretty good bet.
Sort of strange as the attendance at NHIS has always been very good but the races have been somewhat boring there, IMO.

Having the banquet in Vegas makes sense. Everyone is already out there and the additional displays, show cars and whatever for the top 10 teams don't have to make another special trip at more expense. Having the banquet at the ending race location wherever that might be is a good choice.

I didn't like the Chase from the beginning. Changes needed to be made and they were scared to admit it but they finally started making them. But the tinkering every year or so is turning off the fans even more. It shows that those in charge are really unsure about what they are doing.

I don't think that Kentucky "deserves" are race, however I do feel that it would be a successful event with a large turnout. It might even cut into the Brickyards attendance in the future but that would not be much of a loss. Everything was really "off" at Indy this year and it showed with not just the number of fans but the quality of the whole race weekend event.

Fontana needs to lose a race. But Nascar is too much in love with Hollywood and I doubt that will happen.

Atlanta has had failing attendance for years. Seems like SMI could lose a race there and take it to Vegas with no pain.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 AM

32,503 posts, read 26,389,888 times
i think that one change that nascar needs to make is adding more road courses to their schedule. road america, and road atlanta both would be excellent choices, and going to vegas for the season ending race is also a good idea. i also think that nascar needs to get the cup series going to canada and mexico as well since they have already been there with the nationwide series.

Old 07-27-2010, 12:14 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,474,122 times
Too many road races the way it is now.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Too many road races the way it is now.
2 road races is too much?

I like the road races, it's a nice change to seeing them drive in circles all of the time.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:58 AM

1,518 posts, read 1,788,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Fontana, New Hampshire and Atlanta will lose a race

They could take all the races away from those tracks and it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit! I remember the days I used to do at least ten races a year. This year I'm only doing six. Aside from Martinsville and Dega, it's more for the stuff to do away from the track than going to the race itself. Na$car has gone to hell in a handbasket!

Old 08-08-2010, 06:15 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,796,583 times
Atlanta was a great track when it was a true oval. Fontana and NH are useless.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
Atlanta was a great track when it was a true oval. Fontana and NH are useless.
New Hampshire may not lose a date after all.

There will be a lot of shuffling of dates next year, one of the interesting ones is that Chicagoland may open the Chase next season, followed by the 2nd NH date, Dove and Kansas.

Also word is out that Kasey Kahne may drive for Red Bull next year until he replaces Mark Martin in the #5 in 2012. Personally, I would like to see Mark move to Stewart/Haas on a part-time deal and move Kasey directly into the 5 car.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:53 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,410,980 times
Chicago 1st chase race?? What a snoozer to start the chase!

Old 08-11-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokrplr View Post
Chicago 1st chase race?? What a snoozer to start the chase!
It's been confirmed now. Chicagoland will start the Chase in '11. They may try a night race in '12.

Also confirmed that Kasey Kahne will drive for Red Bull in '11 for one year. Hendrick was unable to find a Chevy team for Kasey.

Paul Menard will bring his daddy's sponsorship money over to RCR next year to give them their fourth team.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing