U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 08:49 PM

3,040 posts, read 10,443,582 times

Advertisements

Well, the final race of the 2010 SRL Southwest Tour took place on Saturday night, October 30, at the Bullring at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. The final race consisted of two segments, each of 100 laps, with a 10 minute break/pit stop between the segments.

1 year after his first race with the SRL, Jonathon Gomez took the season championship. The runner-up, Jim Pettit II, won the race, but didn't have enough to keep Gomez from getting into the championship. Gomez only needed to finish 14th or better for the crown, and managed to finish third behind Pettit and Brennan Newberry.

Jacob Gomes took the Rookie-of-the-year title, narrowly beating out Ross Strimiska. Strimiska finished the race in 7th place, but needed 6th or better to be crowned Rookie-of-the-year. Gomes, whose engine quit early in the race, was on pins-and-needles for almost the entire race, since his fate was in the hands of Strimiska.

There were several battles for the lead throughout the race, and a couple new leaders emerged before Pettit took the lead for the last time. Joe Farre led for a fair portion of the first segment, and Newberry led for a good portion of the second segment. Obviously, neither of them retained the lead until the end.

It was a good race and a good season for the SRL Southwest Tour. It was also a good year (as well as the first year) for the SRL Legends Tour, which also concluded its season on Saturday night. Cale Kanke, son of Southwest Tour veteran M. K. Kanke, took home the crown for the Legend Tour champion for 2010.

Overall it was another great night of racing at LVMS, but there was a time of sadness during practice. Jeff Russell of Boise, Idaho, driver of a Supermodified, was critically injured when his car hit the wall in turn one during practice. He is stable, but has a long way to go for recovery. The racing community is praying for him and his family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 07:14 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,477,807 times
Wow, I don't know any of the drivers anymore. It hasn't even been that long.......
I hope and will pray for Jeff Russell. I don't know him but I know this is a difficult time for both him and his family! I always enjoyed the Southwest tour races--now that was racing! Thanks for keeping it alive on this end of the world!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Wow, I don't know any of the drivers anymore. It hasn't even been that long.......
There are still a few around that were racing five or more years ago (when the Southwest Tour was still sanctioned by NASCAR):

M.K. Kanke (of course)
Keith Spangler
Greg Voigt
Jim Pettit II
Auggie Vidovich
Dan Holtz
Eric Holmes
Thomas Martin
David Mayhew

Not all of these guys raced at LVMS last weekend, and some only raced one or two races this year, but they were still part of the 2010 SWT season.

Now if you go way back to the old days of Saugus Speedway and the early years of the SWT, only the first two, and possibly Dan Holtz raced there. All the other SWT drivers that raced there have moved on to other things.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:05 PM

Moving on like so many of us....sigh....at least we still have all of the fond memories! Saugus Speedway-just the name brings back some awsome memories! Now that was fun!!! That was how racing use to be.
Thanks for the great memories and update.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Moving on like so many of us....sigh....at least we still have all of the fond memories! Saugus Speedway-just the name brings back some awsome memories! Now that was fun!!! That was how racing use to be.
Thanks for the great memories and update.
Every now and then, when I'm at a race at Irwindale or Orange Show (San Bernardino), I'll hear a driver introduction for one of the guys I remembered from Saugus. Unfortunately, they are becoming fewer and further between. This past season, not counting our friends in the SRL SWT, there may have been two ex-Saugus drivers that I saw at the races.

Like you, I miss the "good old days" of short track racing in the L.A. area. Saugus was my "local" track, and was there quite often on Saturday nights. Once in a while, I made the "long" trek up to Bakersfield to watch the tour races at Mesa Marin.

Eventually, I moved about half way between these two tracks, but then, a short time later, Saugus closed down. Mesa closed about ten years later, so now I have to make the "long" journey down to Irwindale or up to Madera. Of course, I've also traveled as far as Colorado to go to a Tour race, so I guess those other places aren't really such a long trip, after all.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:41 AM

Well we moved into "race country" and now we have only been to 2 races at Lowes Motor Speedway and that has been in 4 years! It's just not the same..........

Old 11-28-2010, 05:54 PM

There was a post-season SRL Southwest Tour race today at TS@I (Toyota Speedway at Irwindale). It was part of the inaugural Canidae Classic, featuring Late Model, Super Late Model, and SRL Southwest Tour cars. It was very similar to the old "October Classic" that used to take place each year at Mesa Marin, and was probably intended to fill the void that was left when Mesa Marin closed. Even though many of the series regulars weren't there, the showing was excellent with almost 30 cars starting the race.

Today's race was supposed to take place last night, but it was delayed due to rain, as was the Super Late Model race. The Late Model race took place last night, but was cut short by a few laps due to the rain.

In today's SRL race, M.K. Kanke took first place, followed by Ross Strmiska. Jonathon Gomez, Scott Sanchez, and Brennan Newberry rounded out the top five. The unofficial results (provided by Racing West) are shown below:

UNOFFICIAL FINISH - (1)#33 M K KANKE (2)#90 ROSS STRMISKA (3)#22 JONATHON GOMEZ (4)#24 SCOTT SANCHEZ (5)#29 BRENNAN NEWBERRY (6)#38 TROY ERMISH (7)#54 JOE FARRE (8)#43 CHRIS HOLLOWAY (9)#84 EDDIE SECORD (10)#9 JUSTIN WESTMORELAND (11)#16 JACOB GOMES (12)#55 JOHNATHAN MAWHINNEY (13)#63 GAIL CHASE (14)#36 JON WOOD (15)#37 KEITH SPANGLER (16)#18 ERIC HOLMES (17)#51 JESUS HERNANDEZ (18)#19 KEVIN CALLAHAN (19)#14 REX LOCKWOOD (20)#53 COLE CABRERA (21)#04 RYAN REED (22)#41 DEREK THORN (23)#11 BRYAN HERZOG (24)#45 KEN BENHAMOU (25)#23 DAN HOLTZ (26)#48 MIKE LAY (27)#57 DAVID ROSS (28)#10 RICHARD HERZOG (29)#44 JASON GILBERT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing