U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support Team Hendrick's move to switch pit crews btw the 48 and 24?
Yes 5 45.45%
No 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 23 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,132,956 times

Advertisements

What do you all think? (I've got an opinion, but I'll hold off for now)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 04:30 AM

749 posts, read 2,098,976 times
Yes , there's a lot a stake right now and it probably would've paid off better if JJ didn't get stuck behind Biffle with no 1st or 2nd gear on the last restart.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:30 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,572,696 times
Hendrick Motorsports has been so successful due to it's team image. If I was Rick, I would make the same move. I'm sure Rick has weighed the pro's and con's on this very carefully. He knows the people who are involved in this move very well, and would not make this move without careful consideration. But the bottom line is he needs every member of the team on their A-game right now.

Since the move on Sunday, I've been wondering what happened to the 48 crew. My conclusion is that it's possible that some members of the 48 crew have lost a little of the drive it takes to win, since they have already won 4. Maybe the crew thinks they are better than they really are and have let up a bit. Plus it didn't help that the 11 crew was in the pit stall right in front of the 48 on Sunday. Too much pressure for the 48 crew maybe. OTH, the 24 crew is hungry, and they are tired of seeing the 48 crew have so much success.

As for Jeff, we know he is a team player. But a guy can only handle so much. Jeff used to be the king and now his protégé is about to dethrone him, while using the King's own men, none the less. In front of the camera, Jeff will continue to be the team player, but behind the scenes I'm sure it's a different story.

I hope it works for the 48, but I'm not really crazy about JJ winning his 5th. A lot of folks will see this as a desperation move. Yet the 48 team has overcome bigger obstacles before.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:44 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,859,160 times
Default Bad Idea

First they are two separate teams just happen to be owned by the same owner.
Suppose Jeff was in contention running just a few points behind Jimmy, would you use the 24 team to take over just because the 48 is having a bad day? Of course not.

What if it wasn't the teams fault but maybe the glue holding the lug nuts came from a bad batch of glue and the lugs kept falling off.

The 48 team was good enough all year and was a definite part of the reason the team was in the chase. So because of some screw up by who knows what you dump these guys and bring on the 24 team.

Unfortunately these guys are such low level employees that really don't have much say.

I know if I was a 48 pit crew member I wouldn't forget the humiliation and would be returning the favor in the future.

Perhaps next year MLB and the NFL will allow playoff teams to use players from other teams who have already been eliminated.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:24 AM

2,999 posts, read 3,155,686 times
I disgree. That is the team that got you there so far, and should carry on through the last of the races. A crappy move on behalf of Knaus.....hope it fails like Obama's agenda!

Old 11-09-2010, 09:30 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,875,914 times
I really don't care what they do as long as team 11 wins. Go Hamlin team!

And I am so tired of hearing Jeff Gordon whine. You are in a man's sport. Grow up!

I don't know what is going on with these people, but something is very wrong. You don't win it by yourself and you don't lose it by yourself. Sometimes people make mistakes and sometimes they have problems, but a team needs to support each other. Hamlin's pit crew is the best, but there have been times they did not get him out first and I have never heard him fussing about it.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:48 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,479,927 times
They do what they have to do to win and Johnsons pit crew has been struggling all year. They are a great pit crew but they have some issues they need to address. Again folks..this is basically about $$$$$. As far as anybody on the 48 crew even considering a payback--I doubt it. These guys get some big money, big, and there are to many without jobs that use to work for teams. I really think they will be happy to still have jobs.

Last edited by cynwldkat; 11-11-2010 at 06:57 AM..

Old 11-11-2010, 01:46 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,720,993 times
Lame move. I would expect this from formula1 with all their team orders and stuff but how is this gonna help Gordon, who is mathmatically out of the Chase. This could hurt JJ who could make history the 3rd year in a row. Why now?? And does this mean they are chaning crew cheifs as well??

Old 11-11-2010, 06:02 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
This reminds me of the year Martin was pursuing Earnhardt and Roush borrowed a Yates car with disasterous results.
It's quite obvious Knaus wants to win his fifth. It's quite obvious Hendrick wants the same. From a competitive standpoint it is a good strategy and it will be interesting to see how the #48 reacts next season, or for that matter the last two races. It would be quite the chuckle if they were to bust off pit stops equal or better than the #24 crew.
I can't understand why the faux pauxs are happening now. Exhausted perhaps?

Old 11-14-2010, 09:19 PM

8,402 posts, read 20,336,309 times
I think the switch was a smart move, for all the (now, if not before) obvious reasons. Any possible benefit JJ can receive from the team and Hendrick Motorsports should be his, regardless if someone's feelings get hurt in the process. His is the only HM team that has a chance to win, and it would have been silly to not trade crews if that gives him an edge. The 24 crew gave JJ consistently better pit stops today, with no errors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or