Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 07:14 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,309,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
As long as the cars fly at 200+ mph the plates will never go away. Too much liability involved. Drivers getting killed in wrecks is one thing, a car flying into the stands and taking out a few dozen spectators is a completely different story.
You are 100% correct! Sorry folks, no hidden agenda. This is plain and simple--to fast to dangerous. Can't have cars flying so they need restricter plates. I personally don't like them either but this is the reason they are here and here to stay! At least until they figure out another way to keep those cars from flying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 09:50 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
there is no rule that says the engine HAS to be 358" hot, just that's the limit. Build a 1/4" less stroked engine that will run the 500 miles at 11,000 rpm and you would see the rpm limiters in the next race. Talladega would be the ideal track to do it too. HMMMMM.........
Your wrong Robert Yates wanted Nascar to alow 300 CI small blocks and Nascar said no you have to be 350 ci plus an allowance for clean up overbore which gets you to the 358 max.

I doubt any valve trane in a pushrod engine would last 500 miles at 10k much less 11k

Old 02-10-2011, 09:55 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
You are 100% correct! Sorry folks, no hidden agenda. This is plain and simple--to fast to dangerous. Can't have cars flying so they need restricter plates. I personally don't like them either but this is the reason they are here and here to stay! At least until they figure out another way to keep those cars from flying!

Nascar counts on ignorance among the fans so they will accept their "rules"
A gear rule would slow down the cars to any speed Nascar deemed safe without having to spend tons of money on restrictor plate engines.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:36 AM

8,605 posts, read 14,888,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
A gear rule would slow down the cars to any speed Nascar deemed safe without having to spend tons of money on restrictor plate engines.
Keep in mind that Rusty Wallace hit 228mph during a test at Talladega in 2004 and the team hadn't even tuned the car, they just took the plate off. He figured the car could have easily gone 235mph had the drivetrain been tuned for an unrestricted setup.

So you're talking about clipping 40-45mph with gear ratios. The RPMs the engines would have to turn would be incredibly high and the failure rate would be pretty astronomical.

FWIW - With NASCAR switching over to fuel-injection, there's talk about replacing the plate with specialized ignition boxes. You may get your wish of no plate but you will likely not see stock cars going around Daytona and Talladega with completely unrestricted V8 engines ever again.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:08 PM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post

So you're talking about clipping 40-45mph with gear ratios. The RPMs the engines would have to turn would be incredibly high and the failure rate would be pretty astronomical.
Exactly

You can easily gear them to run 190 MPH max with the rpms being 8-9500. If a driver runs at max all day he is not going to last.
This would allow drivers to run in a comfort zone and also allow them to pass but at the expense of running too high rpms.
(I'm only using numbers as an example)
Suppose you can run all day at 185 MPH @ 8,000 rpms, this would give you about 1,500 rpms for passing assuming you would want to run at 9,500 and lets say at 9,500 your top speed would be 190 MPH. Those drivers willing to take a chance on their engines would be the ones running up front but still only running 190 MPH. Todays push rod engines just can't take 9,500 all day wihout valve train failure.

The fans can't tell the difference between 185 and 195 mph so the racing would look the same but those guys willing to risk their engines would be the ones running up front and passing without a partner. Like it used to be in the good days of NASCAR (pre restrictor plate)

Is there anything more boring then Talledega with 43 cars running bumper to bumper and the only passing being done is with a partner. Even the drivers say it requires very little skill to run fast at Talladega.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:12 PM

Go to airplane races--they let them fly! Just kidding!

I feel quite confident about my knowledge regarding NASCAR, I have learned most if it from my husband who knows it up close and "personal" and has for over 50 years. The subject regarding restricter plates is very controversial and everyone has their own answers to it. NASCAR has got to be able to keep these cars at a safe speed..gears could work but these guys working on the cars are so good they would figure out a way to work around the rules using the gears and it would take time to catch them. Restricter plates are pretty simple to inspect. I find the restricter plates pretty boring too....

Last edited by cynwldkat; 02-10-2011 at 06:37 PM..

Old 02-11-2011, 04:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
I thnik the NASCAR gets advise form people much better than the fans from drivers ;;ex-drivers; crewchiefs and other really.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I might add...personally I don't think NASCAR really cares if the fans "accept" their rules all that much! Also I think there are a lot of intelligent fans out there. NASCAR will always have people who disagree with their rules and new ideas--can't please everyone all the time. Personally I wish they'd quit changing things all the time but I guess this is progress. I sure don't want to see anyone get hurt racing but I do enjoy a bit more excitement and competition.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:10 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,049 times
Quote:
Your wrong Robert Yates wanted Nascar to alow 300 CI small blocks and Nascar said no you have to be 350 ci plus an allowance for clean up overbore which gets you to the 358 max.

I doubt any valve trane in a pushrod engine would last 500 miles at 10k much less 11k

It's been done-24 Hours of Daytona, LeMans, etc. granted they were up and down the rpm range from 8500 to 11,500 repeatily which is actually harder on eveything than a near steady rpm even if it's high rpm. You are right about Yates, which I had forgot about, but he wanted to run the OHC mod motor. The overhead cam was the killer on that.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:56 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,734,265 times
Take away owners points. Please!!! It's ruining this sport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing