U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 05:43 AM

3,046 posts, read 5,237,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I hope I don't offend anyone here but I had to laugh when I first saw this tandem racing--I can remember once seeing a swarm of termites swarming for mating purposes and they look almost exactly like those cars looked like at the Bud Shootout--I just can't get that silly vision out of my head..........
ROFLMAO ROFLMAO!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2011, 12:57 PM

441 posts, read 1,289,253 times
The racing that you are seeing at Daytona right now is not what Nascar wants to see. After the Bud Shootout Nascar made quit a few rule changes to try to break this up. The two car packs are due to aerodynamic advantages. Simply put, two cars are faster than one. Four cars would be faster than two except the fact the center two cars have no control. Front car has front down force and the rear has rear down force. It will take aero changes to stop this and I'll bet you'll see those changes before Talladega.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:11 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,494,826 times
DH said the same thing about it being the aerodynamics and I sure hope you are right about those changes.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:14 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,978,960 times
The oprobem is that it is aerodynamics. But they trieds to fix the trailer racing this time. Hopre they are more sucessful than F1 has beeen in getting back to where the cars actually race on their own agianst each other. Odd thing is they said that three cars are not as fast as two.I got really bored during the rce myself.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:07 PM

5,803 posts, read 6,583,457 times
All in all it ended up being a pretty decent race. With a record number of lead changes, close competition and a surprise new winner it's hard to argue over the way it all turned out.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 PM

Recod number of yellows and a tandu race that wasn't interestig until the last lap si what I saw. Clearly NACAR tried to stop the trialer racing but failed.If they can't figure out a way :I bet it will become like F! where the racing is in the pits.Just added toomuch luck to the racewith two havig to get togther afetra stop ;carsnot as competive and even trialers pu8shig tht could stay at it.The only excitment I saw i any race was Kyle Bush pushing ans making the high line work until his engine overheated.That was some driving.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 PM

6,566 posts, read 10,283,969 times
The tandem racing was less about aero and more about grip. Daytona used to be bumpy and you couldn't push someone in the corners without dumping them. The smooth, grippy surface allowed two cars to hook up nose-to-tail all around the track for laps at a time. That's why NASCAR started fiddling with the cooling system before they went to a smaller plate opening.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:37 AM

11,436 posts, read 17,157,275 times
I hate it, thats not racing.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The tandem racing was less about aero and more about grip. Daytona used to be bumpy and you couldn't push someone in the corners without dumping them. The smooth, grippy surface allowed two cars to hook up nose-to-tail all around the track for laps at a time. That's why NASCAR started fiddling with the cooling system before they went to a smaller plate opening.
But even so it was the aerodynamic advantge that made them do it with the smooth track. They were clocked at around 20MPH with two verse qaulify with open track. Often qualifying setup is pretty well geared for a few fast laps too.It was easy to see that more than ever anyone who was alone was dead and even more than two started to lose the advantage.It wasn't just the smooth track traction but that allowed it to work better. There has always been drafting in NASCAR at Daytona just more a train thing. The driver were even talkig tht on larger fast tracks this may contimue to be the necessasry draft.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:25 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,494,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I hate it, thats not racing.
I agree--at least not the kind of racing we know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing