U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 AM

6,368 posts, read 13,973,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
That's my point exactly. He broke every code of ethics associated with the sport. I have a killer post race interview from the 1989 late race at N. Wilkesboro. He and Rudd had been racing hard and on the next to the last turn they got together and both wrecked. Geoff Bodine won the race and you should have heard the mixture of foul language Dale used live...on the air.

Between the late 1970's and mid 90's my wife and I were at Daytona Beach seventeen consecutive years during speed weeks. Over half those times we went on to the FL Keys after the big race and charter boat fished between the Keys and the Dry Tortugas. Pretty good duty all things considered.
What does that have to do with racing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 03:23 AM

3,046 posts, read 5,253,730 times
Quote:
Fox news and the speed channel are very busy trying to make a "safety hero" of Dale Earnhardt. Yesterday and today they have repeatedly shown a show called "The Day" which makes some kind of really ethical, safety minded racer of Dale Earnhardt Senior. Nothing could be further from the truth. Richard Childress actually said that during the last few laps before Earnhardt was killed in the last lap crash that he had said, "Richard, They are going to have to do something for the safety of these cars or they're going to get somebody killed."

This coming from a driver who never, not once wore a full face mask but instead wore an open face with either sunglasses or goggles. Also his friends all knew that during the last few laps of an especially tiring race he would loosen his lap belt for comfort.

Amazing that a guy who broke all of the ethical rules and half of the written ones is going to turn out to be the Christ of stock car racing.

I think it is more a case of learn from wht killed him and make sure those things don't happen again. But yeah, there was at least 4 major changes that was direct result of his death. The head restraint , Hans system, full face helmets, the redesign of the bodies, and the safty bumpers behind the bumper covers. There have been other changes, nut i think those are the 4 biggest ones.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:32 PM

5,810 posts, read 6,612,021 times
So in a way, Earnhardt's death probably saved other drivers lives since 2001.

When you save lives, are you not considered a "hero"?

Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 PM

6,368 posts, read 13,973,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

+1

Old 02-17-2011, 06:19 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,174,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
+1
He indeed saved lives but not because of his belief in driver safety. His death alone was the reason. He broke all the rules in nearly every race. At the time of his death NASCAR fabricated a story about a brioken seat belt when in fact he had just loosened one that was in perfectly good shape to be more comfortable. Hey!! He was the only driver still using an open faced mask. Everybody knew how he felt about rules...he broke them all.

Earnhardt getting credit for improving safety in the sport was due to one thing and one thing only...the hero got killed. At that point NASCAR had no choice but to fix things.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:28 AM

53 posts, read 46,145 times
Quote:
Fox news and the speed channel are very busy trying to make a "safety hero" of Dale Earnhardt. Yesterday and today they have repeatedly shown a show called "The Day" which makes some kind of really ethical, safety minded racer of Dale Earnhardt Senior. Nothing could be further from the truth. Richard Childress actually said that during the last few laps before Earnhardt was killed in the last lap crash that he had said, "Richard, They are going to have to do something for the safety of these cars or they're going to get somebody killed."

This coming from a driver who never, not once wore a full face mask but instead wore an open face with either sunglasses or goggles. Also his friends all knew that during the last few laps of an especially tiring race he would loosen his lap belt for comfort.

Amazing that a guy who broke all of the ethical rules and half of the written ones is going to turn out to be the Christ of stock car racing.

yeah dale wasnt the one for safety he wanted the corporation to remain true and race like they had been 4 years btw if he was bout safety the wtf did he go out and "bump" and grind around on others

Old 03-22-2011, 01:01 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,940,835 times
My favorite Earnhardt race was at Pocono when Mayfield Earhardted him out of the way. (rattled his cage I guess you could call it.)

Old 03-25-2011, 06:02 AM

749 posts, read 2,107,929 times
It was his success within the sport that made him a hero. To me it's irrelevant as to how he raced or what equipment he wore. Just Wiki the list of NASCAR drivers who have died and those who died and were racing in series like Arca or Modifieds at NASCAR tracks.

Who should be the hero then........... Neil Bonnet or Adam Petty when they died? They were wearing NASCAR mandatory safety equipment when they died and were not even racing, they died at practice.

Old 04-22-2011, 02:32 PM

208 posts, read 429,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post

Not when you drive like a Moron

Old 04-23-2011, 05:18 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,174,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
I think it is more a case of learn from wht killed him and make sure those things don't happen again. But yeah, there was at least 4 major changes that was direct result of his death. The head restraint , Hans system, full face helmets, the redesign of the bodies, and the safty bumpers behind the bumper covers. There have been other changes, nut i think those are the 4 biggest ones.
The reinforcement of concrete walls with softer materials at critical locations on the tracks has proven to be of high value also. It helps to absorb some of the impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing