U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 04:56 PM

1,336 posts, read 2,779,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by racewire20 View Post
I will say, Nascar is a hardheaded organization, but they have made a huge business. Some times they make ya wonder, but they will do what needs to be done to insure the sport survives. And I will also say, since the Death of Dale senior, they strive to make sure the cars are the safest they can be. They do not want to have another loss like 10 years ago.
Speaking as someone who watched NASCAR for a long time, but then missed big chunks of a couple years due to not having Satalite or Cable, I have to say that watching speedweek this year was a real disappointment.

My impression is that NASCAR is SUCH a wannabe sport. Trying to compare Daytona to the Superbowl. Let's be real. Go back to work tomorrow, and see how many people are standing around the watercooler talking about the race.

Comparing Jimmy Johnson to Lance Armstrong, or Derek Jeeter. Really? I mean they are a great team, but NASCAR has much more to do with the money invested than other sports. (Especially cycling, which is almost ALL athelete. And then to try to give him a manufactured name (The Dominator) and make it stick. How GHEY!

And of all the multi-champs, not one Black guy in the group. Jeeze, they mentioned MJ in a tangent, but how can you talk about real champs without talking about MJ? Or could they just not get him to comment?

And I that the saddest thing of all was on lap three when all the fans stood there like drones holding up three fingers and standing with their chests all puffed out like it was something. Yeah, the intimidator was awesome, and indeed, racing was a lot better to watch, and a lot more entertaining, but those days are gone. (Probably a big part of the problem). Quit living in yesteryear and get over it.

Flame away. I realize I'm posting this in a forum that won't agree. I was a fan, but it just isn't the same anymore.

(but it was AWESOME to see the 21 win. I was happy for the kid (forgot his name already) and glad to see him win. He raced well and earned it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 07:10 AM

5,803 posts, read 6,588,431 times
Apparently, NASCAR didn't have problems selling tickets to the 500:

500 ticket sales race to finish line - Racing (http://www.news-journalonline.com/racing/racing-business/2011/02/21/500-ticket-sales-race-to-finish-line.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing