U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Congress Ban the Military from Sponsoring Racing?
Yes. We need to start trimming the budget somewhere. 7 21.21%
No. This is their best "bang" for the buck. 24 72.73%
Take the money and spend it on other types of advertising. 2 6.06%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,578,082 times

Advertisements

The House is going to vote today to possibly ban the Army and other services from sponsoring NASCAR and Drag Racing.

Quote:
McCollum's amendment, introduced Wednesday, would prevent the U.S. Army from spending $7 million on NASCAR and $5 million on drag racing in 2011 as well as millions more by the Air Force and Navy.
Quote:
But NASCAR backers say McCollum ignores the value of the dollar spent at NASCAR. According to Col. Derek W. Crotts, who manages the Army's NASCAR marketing and advertising program, nearly one-third -- 46,000 -- of the 150,000 leads Army recruiters get each year come from motorsports events.
I don't have a problem with the military cutting back on their recruiting budget. But will they spend the same amount of money somewhere else and not get the payback they get from the sports exposure?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...-gop-spending/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,869,290 times
!2 Million a year is nothing compared to the Millions they spent on Nukes, first building them and then dismantling them.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:07 PM

9,072 posts, read 15,038,382 times
I would think auto racing would be a good place for the military to spend on recruitment advertising. Lots of young males are into and watch auto racing, and would be the target audience for the advertising. I have no stats on it, but it makes sense to me.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:01 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
Well the house answered that question yesterday.The answer is no.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:33 PM

7,185 posts, read 11,229,995 times
The good Congresswoman probably prefers they put ads on the local PBS network. Have to find your audience to get some bang for the buck. Nascar is a good fit.

Old 02-20-2011, 06:11 PM

20,905 posts, read 39,184,055 times
I voted NO on this one....because I've some skin in the game....

Back in Sep 99, I took a job with HQ Army, G6 (civilian employee). My first assignment was to answer a memo back to the Army leadership about how to improve the Army. I told them several things, such as:
- Stop the too-frequent rotating of personnel from base to base, in those days every 1-3 years. Not only is it very expensive, but after 18-20 years in the Army the families have done 6-12 "pack up and move" Permanent Change of duty Station (PCS) moves. At that point, many Army spouses put their foot down and say this is it, no more moves. We lost a lot of great people to the rigors of PCS rotations and the uprooting of families. Since then, Army has slowed down rotations and done a lot smarter job of it.

- I told them to get their name on a race car in NASCAR as that is where the young guys are watching, that the Army draws a lot of its recruits from the southeastern states and that those states are the big NASCAR demographic.

I don't know if my suggestions had anything to do with those changes, but I'd like to think that at least I planted a seed....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-20-2011 at 07:47 PM..

Old 02-23-2014, 12:40 PM

20,905 posts, read 39,184,055 times
As best as I can tell, the Army got out of NASCAR at the end of the 2012 season, but apparently is still in NHRA Top Fuel dragster racing.

Budget constraints seem to be the reason for vacating the NASCAR circuit, even though the Congresswoman's bill failed to pass.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-23-2014, 09:45 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,932,349 times
No way;NASCAR gives them more than they get anywhere else. for their money.

Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,578,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No way;NASCAR gives them more than they get anywhere else. for their money.
I agree with you texdav about bang for the buck, but over the weekend the WH again is looking to make cuts on the backs of our military. They want to shrink the military to the smallest since the end of WW2. They want to cut back on the commissary, health care and pay raises for our troops.

The National Guard is funded seperately from the DoD, so maybe it won't be such an issue, but if the Pentagon needs to cut somewhere, I rather see them cut from advertising and keep the commissary's fully funded.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:50 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,213,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Well the house answered that question yesterday.The answer is no.
Not a big follower of NASCAR, but went to Daytona 500 yesterday and wondered by the Army wasn't as significantly advertised (didn't see it anywhere) as it was in 2012 (Ryan Newman's car) when I last went to the race. Did see National Guard on one of the racers' car.

I think they should survey recruits to see how many saw the advertisement and did it seem to influence their decision to recruit. NASCARs fans seem to be of a lower socioeconomic level and typical of many of the Soldiers who enlist.

I'd think NASCAR gets enough visibility on TV broadcasts to make $12 mil a good investment compared to the cost of advertising in magazines or on TV commercials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing