U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:07 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,409,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I didn't realize it, but looks like Trevor must be going for the points in only the NWS. He received zero points for his win yesterday.

Carl is on top with 42 points.
I believe he's only P/T in the Sprint Cup this year , had no choice but to go for the NWS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 08:25 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,877,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Wow, that will be interesting. Woods probably didn't have enough $$$ at first to put on a full season in the Sprint Cup...but things have changed now.

If Trevor does change and go for the points in Sprint, it would not be hard for him to make the Chase, seeing a lot of last years Chase drivers are in the hole.

Jimmie Johnson finished 38 in last years 500.

Jeff Gordon, Stewart and Kurt Busch all were in the 20 and below range in the 500 last year and still made the Chase. Ryan Newman finished 34 in the 500 and just missed the Chase.
You might be giving him a little too much credit right now. I really like the kid but winning the 500 does not make a driver a chase contender,(ask Michael Waltrip)
I would like to see him run both series right now for the track time and which ever way he chooses to collect point is OK with me.

Don't forget last week nobody in the media( except for DW) were talking Bayne and now he is the next coming of David Pearson.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:41 AM

5,802 posts, read 6,582,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
You might be giving him a little too much credit right now. I really like the kid but winning the 500 does not make a driver a chase contender,(ask Michael Waltrip)
I would like to see him run both series right now for the track time and which ever way he chooses to collect point is OK with me.

Don't forget last week nobody in the media( except for DW) were talking Bayne and now he is the next coming of David Pearson.
Your right, no need to rush the kid. Looks like he will stick with his current plans:

Quote:
Bayne unlikely to run for Sprint Cup points: Daytona 500 winner #21-Trevor Bayne said Monday he's probably not going to attempt to run for the Sprint Cup championship this year. The 20-year-old became the youngest winner in Daytona 500 history Sunday with a surprise victory in NASCAR's biggest race. He's scheduled to run only 17 Cup races this season for the Wood Brothers while he competes for the Nationwide Series title for Roush-Fenway Racing. NASCAR rules this season made drivers pick just one series to collect points, and Bayne chose the second-tier Nationwide Series. He can change his mind, but he would not be given retroactive points for the Daytona 500. NASCAR officials said Monday the win would count toward seeding in the Chase for the Sprint Cup championship, but he would not receive any points for Sunday's race. NASCAR this year changed the format for the 12-driver Chase field. The top 10 in points after the 26th race of the season make the Chase, with the final two spots going to drivers with the most wins who aren't already eligible. The drivers would have to be ranked inside the top 20.(Associated Press), the team has added at least one race to it's 2011 schedule, selecting to run at Martinsville in April, the sixth race of the 2011 season.
Jayski's NASCAR Silly Season Site - NASCAR Sprint Cup News Page

Old 02-21-2011, 01:49 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,492,849 times
I'm thinkin' this kid, bayne, has his head screwed on right. He's such a positive for NASCAR right now and it's good timing. He said he's sticking to his plans to only run part of the cup series and go for the points in Nationwide. He only 20 so I guess he has time!

Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 PM

23,650 posts, read 33,451,681 times
I think cooler heads should prevail and Bayne takes his time into Sprint Cup. Winning one race doesn't make you a bonafide star. Brad Keslowski won one cup race and hasn't had much luck after that.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:55 PM

Only time will tell with Trevor but he looks good now and they say he is like a sponge soaking up any and all information he can learn, get, from the other drivers. I really think we may have a rising star here but time will tell.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Knoxville, of "Thunder Road" fame, didn't have a hero to call their own in Nascar racing up to today. As you can all imagine, we are incredibly proud of one of our own. I posted this on our local forum but it has a great locally-written piece about the win and a video of Bayne when he was 13 - seven short years ago - and racing go-karts. It's well-worth the look.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/17959972-post5.html
I did watch this and Trevor is wise beyond his years. A good youg man with a great future. Thanks for sharing this!

Old 02-22-2011, 08:14 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,398,097 times
I missed the ending of the race and when i heard he won i was amazed. I would've loved it if Mark Martin won. Sick of seeing him not get it. But eh i'd rather see the rookie get it than Jimmie Johnson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or