Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 09:53 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
The problem is the fans don't respond to the other guys taking the lead like they do to Earnhardt. I was at the Dickies 500 in 2009 and while Dale didn't lead a lap that day, the only times people hooted and hollared were when a) Jimmie Johnson crashed on the 3rd lap, and b) Kyle Busch ran out of gas 3 laps from the end.
Wouldn't that be worthy of a gratuitous grand stand shot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 10:04 AM

806 posts, read 2,341,570 times
Not to mention hes company was hijacked by his wicked stepmother, so he decided to leave.
He is definitely not a showboater like the opthers. He is very reserved and calm. Jimmy, Jeff and Tony are pretty dramatic at times, not to mention the Bush bros. omg, let that go.....

Go Dale Jr. 88!!!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I still can't figure out what there is to "hate" about Dale Jr.

Sure, they guy got into racing because of his Daddy. What is wrong with that? There are a lot of racers that have son's that they have groomed to follow their footsteps. Heck, that happens in a LOT of professions.

Fans like Jr. because of his Dad? Don't see a problem with that...especially how his Dad died and how popular his Dad was. But Sr has been gone for 10 years now...Jr hasn't lived up to they hype that was created by the media and NASCAR....but his fans still support him. (Loyalty).

Jr is not a media hound. He is a humble guy with a famous Dad. I honestly feel that he doesn't really like all of the attention he gets. He is basically a hermit, living on his ranch in NC. Over the winter instead of going to the SuperBowl or Hawaii like some drivers, he stayed on his ranch and built his mom a new home... Pretty humble I say.
Thanks, you just brought up a hypocritical point most fans make about how other drivers got into the sport.
Owning a ranch doesn't make someone any more humble than someone else who chooses to live in a high-rise condo.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
I really don't understand any hatred for Jr. While his father was not one of my favorites Jr is certainly a likable person. He doesn't have the skills that his dad had but not too many do. I think his die-hard fans expect the same from him as they got from Sr. but I don't think that's gonna happen.Good driver Yes great driver No

I will give Sr. credit for something that not too many ever mention.He was the first of his generation to run hard all day and if you didn't break you won. Unlike some of the others who only ran hard in the beginning and then cruised through the middle and then ran hard at the end. SR changed the game and made the racing better for all to watch.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:57 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,426 times
Fox's coverage of the race was disgusting, it was the JR show all day. Second driver they talk to after the race is him. It's just so rediculous. You can literally hear the disappointment in their announcers voices when he crashes or when anything bad happens to him, they pee their pants when he takes the lead. It's supposed to be a professional, national broadcast.

they're as bad espn hyping danica (won one 300 mile race in Japan in like 6 years) Patrick

Old 02-21-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I really don't understand any hatred for Jr. While his father was not one of my favorites Jr is certainly a likable person. He doesn't have the skills that his dad had but not too many do. I think his die-hard fans expect the same from him as they got from Sr. but I don't think that's gonna happen.Good driver Yes great driver No

I will give Sr. credit for something that not too many ever mention.He was the first of his generation to run hard all day and if you didn't break you won. Unlike some of the others who only ran hard in the beginning and then cruised through the middle and then ran hard at the end. SR changed the game and made the racing better for all to watch.
That's my contention. I'm not a Jr. fan, certainly don't hate the guy, but it seems NASCAR expects big things from him as some of his fan base does.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:16 PM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Thanks, you just brought up a hypocritical point most fans make about how other drivers got into the sport.
Owning a ranch doesn't make someone any more humble than someone else who chooses to live in a high-rise condo.
My point is not where the guy lives, it's how he acts.

If you followed what the other drivers did during the off season, while there is nothing wrong with what they did, Dale Jr likes to stay out of the public eye and hangs out at his ranch (home).

As for the point that Jr got into racing because of his Dad, you still haven't said why that is a bad thing. It's not like he jumped right into the Winston Cup. He started out like everyone else in the Busch Series. (He actually started in Street Stock, moved to Late Model, then worked for his Dad as a mechanic while earning his associates degree. He didn't go to the Cup Series full time until 2000).

Old 02-21-2011, 01:50 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,873,875 times
Some of you just can't be pleased. Always got to be griping about something. If it's not one driver being more popular than another, then you gotta be whining about the TV coverage.

Why do you watch if it upsets you so much? (I think I already know that answer.)

Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
I think this discussion is a classic example of why Jr Nation is so loud and proud.

There's alot of us that realize Jr is not his Daddy and he that doesn't want to be his Daddy. Many of us don't want to see him drive the #3 for RCR. He is his own man and his own driver. He admits to his mistakes and you never see him blame others for his screwups.

I'd love to see him rack up some wins, but I wouldn't be upset if he doesn't.

He's simply a likeable guy and a winning (yet slumping) driver.

Personally, I like to root for a guy that can be respected, not some hot-headed, jack-wagon, brat (cough, cough,18, 11, cough).

Old 02-21-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
Some of you just can't be pleased. Always got to be griping about something. If it's not one driver being more popular than another, then you gotta be whining about the TV coverage.

Why do you watch if it upsets you so much? (I think I already know that answer.)
Doesn't upset me any, just an observation.
What's your answer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing