U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:41 AM

1,520 posts, read 1,789,388 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone was going to any races this year? I used to do about 10 to 12 a year. This year it's down to five. I'm going to Bristol this month, then Darlington, both Martinsville, and the fall Dega race. It's just not the same as it used to be, plus prices are out of sight. I was curious to see if anyone else felt the same way?

Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 12:53 PM

3,003 posts, read 3,161,001 times
Plan to hit the Charlotte races, I mean it's 20 minutes away! Darlington is a maybe, but one of the races in Martinsville for sure. Would like to get to Dover this year, never been to that track.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:53 PM

2,223 posts, read 4,411,284 times
Charlotte for the 500, only a 3hr trip and Darlington for sure, 90 min drive to that one.

Wish list: Atlanta and Bristol summer

Prices, agreed! They are out of control. I was tinkering with the $35 seats @ Darlington backstretch until I found out you can't see hardly any of the track. I will pay the $90 to sit in the Pearson tower again. Right on turn 4 looking @ S/F line

Old 03-04-2011, 08:29 PM

I dropped Dover this year and Charlotte a couple of years ago. I kept the spring Bristol race, but dropped the night race. I'm not sure I'll keep my Bristol tix much longer? I used to sit in the Tyler Tower and pay those 90.00 prices Pokrplr, but doing that for every race I went to just got to be too much. Now I sit on the backstretch in the 35.00 cheap seats and I'm usually on row ten or lower. Granted you can't see all that good, but you sure get the true sense of pure speed!

My wish list would be Richmond and a road course. I would also like to go to one Daytona 500 to see Jeff Gordon race in it before he retires....

Old 03-05-2011, 05:39 AM

21,956 posts, read 21,503,969 times
Loved going when we sat in the condos. The seats can sometimes be a pain if you happen to get some drunks throwing beer and saying things families don't really care to hear. Honestly we can see the race better at home. It doesn't have that excitement factor but it's more affordable and comfortable. Besides the cars leaving the races has gotten insane lately and so far they haven't figured out a good way to handle the traffic so again at home I don't have to deal with it.
I think the younger generation of racing fans enjoy it more and don't mind all the little things that annoy us older folks!

Old 03-05-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Besides the cars leaving the races has gotten insane lately and so far they haven't figured out a good way to handle the traffic so again at home I don't have to deal with it.

Charlotte has the worst race traffic of any track I've been to I think. If the race was over at 11:00 at night, I didn't even think about starting my car to leave before 2:00 the next morning. That was one reason I dropped that track...

Old 03-05-2011, 07:53 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,325,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Loved going when we sat in the condos. The seats can sometimes be a pain if you happen to get some drunks throwing beer and saying things families don't really care to hear. Honestly we can see the race better at home. It doesn't have that excitement factor but it's more affordable and comfortable. Besides the cars leaving the races has gotten insane lately and so far they haven't figured out a good way to handle the traffic so again at home I don't have to deal with it.
I think the younger generation of racing fans enjoy it more and don't mind all the little things that annoy us older folks!
One of the things that annoyed me most about going to the races was the people behind you throwing their food & empty beer cans into chicken bone alley (the bottom of the stands). Short tracks were worse and fortunately this practice was stopped.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:54 AM

2,223 posts, read 4,411,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder24car View Post
Charlotte has the worst race traffic of any track I've been to I think. If the race was over at 11:00 at night, I didn't even think about starting my car to leave before 2:00 the next morning. That was one reason I dropped that track...

My buddy gave us a super secret way into the track. Absolutely no traffic getting in and when leaving we've never waitied more than 10-15 min.

So you say the backstretch seats aren't that bad? I may have to give it a try?

Old 03-05-2011, 09:17 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,325,437 times
The last time I went to Charlotte the ttraffic upon exit was much better.
What changed?
Amidst complaints from race goers the attendents that were there to direct you when you parked were also there to direct you out. The wait time was cut in half.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:51 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,894,200 times
Ill be going to Darlington in May and perhaps Charlotte in October. If they ever return to Rockingham I'm only 15 miles away, I'll be there.
I went to the street stock race last Thanksgiving weekend at Rockingham and it reminded me of how NASCAR used to be back in the 60's.
Maybe Kurt Bush can entice a couple more Cup stars to come out for a day of no pressure pure racing fun. It was cool to see Bush checking tire air pressure on his own car.
Best $10 bucks I spent in a long time.
( guy at the gate sold me a $20 ticket for $10)

So far,
Daytona
Charlotte
Pocono
Watkins Glen
Dover
Bristol

And back in the day
Old Bridge Speedway NJ 1963 Roberts, Petty, Jarrett
Trenton Speedway NJ Petty, the Allisons, Yarbrough

And way back, 1956
Langhorn Speedway PA
Convertibles on the dirt. Weatherly, Petty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing