U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-11-2011, 08:57 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in Kentucky
3,790 posts, read 7,795,739 times
Reputation: 2416

Advertisements

As many of you know, I haven't been following NASCAR with a fine-tooth comb anymore and heard they are getting FI. When and will they be able to have on-board adjustments like Indy cars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2011, 06:59 AM
 
Location: In a house
21,956 posts, read 21,499,981 times
Reputation: 14918
Basically the car manufactures are pushing the FI because the cars are suppose to be "stock" cars and cars have been FI for many years. Trouble is being able to regulate/inspect the FI is a tuff job. NASCAR is working on this but it probably won't be anytime very soon because there are many other issues too. A big problem is the pressurized gas in the FI--not good for wrecks. I'm sure they will eventually figure it out. As far as getting the on-board adjustmanets--well then they may as well just be Indy cars! But who knows--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 07:32 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,888,814 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Basically the car manufactures are pushing the FI because the cars are suppose to be "stock" cars and cars have been FI for many years. Trouble is being able to regulate/inspect the FI is a tuff job. NASCAR is working on this but it probably won't be anytime very soon because there are many other issues too. A big problem is the pressurized gas in the FI--not good for wrecks. I'm sure they will eventually figure it out. As far as getting the on-board adjustmanets--well then they may as well just be Indy cars! But who knows--
NASCAR is saying FI for 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 AM
 
Location: In a house
21,956 posts, read 21,499,981 times
Reputation: 14918
Thanks PDD. I knew it was in the works just didn't know they had set a timeline. Guess with all those amazing minds working on these kinds of things for them that is when they will have it up and going!
And I do mean amazing minds---some of these people figuring out things for these race cars are amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 10:24 AM
 
6,368 posts, read 13,933,519 times
Reputation: 5885
First test comes up in a few weeks at Kentucky Speedway.

NASCAR to move forward with fuel injection tests, starting July 7 at Kentucky Motor Speedway - ESPN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2011, 03:17 AM
 
Location: 59N
5,220 posts, read 5,880,503 times
Reputation: 4013
Are they still using a carburetor? That is crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2011, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,569 posts, read 10,293,233 times
Reputation: 9838
Once NASCAR switches to FI, all the restrictor plate haters will get their wish. The plates will be gone...but they'll be replaced with a custom FI setup that accomplishes the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2011, 08:53 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,888,814 times
Reputation: 11886
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Once NASCAR switches to FI, all the restrictor plate haters will get their wish. The plates will be gone...but they'll be replaced with a custom FI setup that accomplishes the same thing.
As long as cars will be able to pass with out help from another car I don't car what kind or restrictors they use.

Once electronics takes over, NASCAR as we know it will be dead.

Pray that they don't go to that "push to pass" like they do in Indy Car.
Or worse yet, Brian France controls the cars from his computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2011, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Aurora, CO
6,569 posts, read 10,293,233 times
Reputation: 9838
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
As long as cars will be able to pass with out help from another car I don't car what kind or restrictors they use.

Once electronics takes over, NASCAR as we know it will be dead.

Pray that they don't go to that "push to pass" like they do in Indy Car.
Or worse yet, Brian France controls the cars from his computer.
I think the eventual switchover to OHC engines will be more of a change than fuel injection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2011, 09:29 AM
 
48,516 posts, read 84,010,700 times
Reputation: 18050
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
As long as cars will be able to pass with out help from another car I don't car what kind or restrictors they use.

Once electronics takes over, NASCAR as we know it will be dead.

Pray that they don't go to that "push to pass" like they do in Indy Car.
Or worse yet, Brian France controls the cars from his computer.
With the aero and downforce of NASCAR they will not have push to pass. Their problem is that drafting become more and more important like we saw in Daytona race at hgher speeds.Also that has teams get bigger the lessor teams become less competitive because of cost like other forms of racing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top